Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

A Viable CVVT Test

Had a 2010 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 with a check engine light and code P0016, Cam/Crank correlation. Runs OK, but is the code a result of timing belt or chain problem or a variable timing issue. I checked the oil control (CVVT) valve, it draws about 2 amps and I can here it clicking. So I wanted a cam/crank signal for my wave form library anyways so I back probed the cam and crank sensors to compare then grounded the CVVT solenoid. No change in the correlation when grounded. Well lets try a new valve. Right away I noticed at idle that the cam signal came in at the 4th crank signal before the break instead of the 11th. Now ground the CVVT valve and the cam signal moves to the 11th. The old valve must have been stuck part way open. A couple of drives and all seems good.
    Attached Files
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

When changing out a VVT solenoid, If I'm able to , I like to change out the oil and filter before hand, then remove the VVT solenoid, Hold a plug over the hole , have someone momentarily start engine to get fresh oil to purge any residual crud out of gallery ,and then install the VVT solenoid.

Comment

Working...