X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

P0455 gross evap leak 2003 Nissan Maxima

I like to be able to actuate and hear that all the evap system solenoids work in actuator mode using a scan tool, but on a 2003 Maxima (with P0455 code) the purge control valve did not want to actuate with either my DS708 or my MT2500, so tried a couple noid lights with no indication of pulsing light. Verified power at one side but no control side grounding . Pulled the ECM connector and back probed ECM pin 10 and jumped power to the back probed disconnected connector of purge valve connector and test light confirmed the circuit was good, so figured it would need a ecm, since both my Snap On and Autel scan tool were unable to actuate the purge valve. Reconnected PCM connector and tried to actuate the purge control valve again with MT2500 with no success and no noid light pulsing.
    Ready to wrap it up and condemn the ECM , I Started vehicle up with the noid light attached and it's pulsing and working fine and the purge control valve working too, Whew !,F@ckin Goose chase for nothing because the ECM was ok all along, just 2 different scanners failing to command on the purge solenoid.
    Well back to find the leak , By mouth with low pressure I Blow through the evap hose at purge solenoid with the Evap system sealed and have assistant below car that can hear the air escape, and with a spray bottle a soap water confirms Vacuum Cut Valve Bypass valve is leaking.
    Next time if my scan tool can't actuate the purge valve , I will first plug in a noid light and start the vehicle up and watch for a pulsing light, rather than assuming there is a circuit problem if 2 scan tools are unable to do it, and resorting to pin out tests and changing a pcm. Maybe ecm strategy with gross leak code will deny the ability to actuate the purge valve , unless the codes are cleared before hand? I don't know, Maybe have to try clearing the code first next time , almost got to doing pinpoint circuit test of the wire to ecm and ultimately unnecessary replacement of an ecm
    Last edited by Witsend; 03-22-2017, 07:54 PM.
Working...