Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yellowshaker
    • Jan 2013

Updating a Vantage Pro

I might purchase a Vantage Pro which is updated to 2009. The owner said it is version 9.4. I wanted to know if I coul simply buy the latest update for the tool and install it or do you have to install each upate up to current? Thanks for any information guys.
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Just buy the latest update and install it. No need to get the ones you skipped.
    Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• yellowshaker
      • Jan 2013

Thanks for the reply, man. I appreciate it. I just found another one for sale for 600 bucks. Seems it is an even earlier version software. Is there a downside to buying an earlier one?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

I am nearly certain that there have been no hardware changes to the VP since it was introduced, so it is safe to buy the earlier version. The only reason I am not 100% positive, is that with the Solus scanner (not the Solus-Pro or Solus Ultra), if you have skipped a bunch of updates you have to buy a intermediate software patch, or send it in to get it updated.
        There are no instances of that with any other scanner in the Snap-on line up, so you should be OK. If you want to know for certain, call Tech Support at 800-332-2526, and hear it straight from them.

Joe
        Henry Ford

Comment

• yellowshaker
          • Jan 2013

One more question. I wanted to purchase this primary ignition lead for the Vantage Pro, but it seems to be discontinued. Is there someplace to get oneother that AES? http://www.aeswave.com/Primary-Ignit...PRO-p8792.html

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Is this the one you're looking for?

go to this page: http://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/vantagepro

Find part # EAK0294B09A

I believe it should still be available.

Joe
            Henry Ford

Comment

• yellowshaker
              • Jan 2013

No sir, I beleive that is different. The one I want basically works as an attenuator. Only place I have seen it is AES Wave...

Comment

• crackerclicker
                • May 2008

Originally posted by yellowshaker
                No sir, I beleive that is different. The one I want basically works as an attenuator. Only place I have seen it is AES Wave...
                It's probably discontinued because there isn't a whole lot of diagnostic value in the inductive kick of a primary ignition waveform. If it goes off the screen, you pretty much know the inductive kick was over 200 volts. Most likely isn't important to know whether it was 300 or 400 volts unless there is some concern about damaging your Vantage (I think the Vantage/Modis/Verus is rated somewhere around 400 volt protection).

If you are looking for diagnostic direction using the inductive kick, you would be better served looking at the Kv spikes with a secondary ignition probe.

Comment

• redbaron
                  • Jul 2012

Hey, per tech support, older vantage pro`s shouldnt need any extra to update to current.
                  Quoted $439 to go from 6.4 to 12.4.
                  HTH

Comment

• transporter
                    • Jun 2012

Just updated 9.4 to 13.4 well worth it. Quite a few extra tests added especially on 2012 - 2013 cars.

Comment

• matej4a
                      • Sep 2016

Vantage pro CF card

Hi,guys
                      I have a situation where I can buy a used Vantage pro tool without CF card and battery.Before buying it I want to know if new CF card with latest software will help the tool to be operative?
                      Thank you
                      Matej

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Not sure you be able to find and buy new battery. Thought it shares the same battery that the Solus Pro uses (which is no longer supported for parts and updates or won't be much longer)
                        Think I would take a pass spending all that money to find out that it still need a board.

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Witsend
                          Not sure you be able to find and buy new battery. Thought it shares the same battery that the Solus Pro uses (which is no longer supported for parts and updates or won't be much longer)
                          Think I would take a pass spending all that money to find out that it still need a board.
                          Those batteries are still available from Snap-on (I just bought one). However, the CF card will have to be loaded by a Snap-on dealer to unlock the software for that unit, they are not plug-n-play.

Hurry though, I suspect this unit will not be supported much longer.

Comment

Working...