Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alwayslearnin
    • Feb 2013

wireless S-3

Hi everyone, I have read over a few posts regarding adding the wireless module to the verus. Its kind of a mixed bag whether its worth the money or not. I like the fact my verus hard wired to the dlc will continue to be charged. But I feel the wireless module has more pro's than con's. My dealer has a demo S-3 for sale. Still don't know what the price is as yet but anything less than the retail price would be good . Can any of you guys convince me it's worth the cash? Thanks for any advice.
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

I updated my First Gen Verus with the S3 and would NEVER go back to being Hardwired again!

Steve

Comment

• badcoupe
      • Jan 2011

I would never go back to a tethered tool if I had my choice the convenience is outstanding. Once you have you won't go back. Take the tool anywhere without worrying about your cable getting damaged in the door or not having enough cable to do what you need. Checking evap systems its nice to be able to stand near the vent sol etc. and command the part and hear it work.

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by alwayslearnin
        I like the fact my verus hard wired to the dlc will continue to be charged.
        This is not exactly the case. Being plugged into the DLC may reduce the Verus battery discharge rate, but it will NOT charge it. Consider the AC wall adapter, if you look at its specs, it states 17-19 Volts, 2-3 Amps output. Even with the vehicle running, at best you will get 14 Volts at the DLC, this simply is not enough voltage to overcome the static charge of the Verus battery. On the note of the S3, I would highly recommend it if it fits your budget. As has been stated, it is great being free from the tether, and able to walk around the whole vehicle.
        S. Breland

Comment

• alwayslearnin
          • Feb 2013

Hi guy's thanks to all for your replies. I totally understand about the charging, thanks sbreland. Hopefully it is a good deal. I have convinced myself I need it .He is back next Wednesday so we'll see how it goes!

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

I'm still not clear on the updating part of this. If you have the wireless module and the version 1 Verus, which one receives the update ? Both or do you have to buy two updates if you wish to keep them both up to date. I played around with the wireless module. As I understand it the wireless module is the scanner, correct ?

Comment

• Steve6911
              • Feb 2007

Both get updated, the Verus gets the software update and then the S3 gets a Firmware update

Comment

• greasybob
                • May 2008

Thanks, Steve, for clearing that up.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                  Snap-on DSD
                  • Aug 2007

If you are going to switch back and forth between the internal scan module and the S3, make sure you update the firmware in both of them when you install a new update.
                  To do this you just need to pair to each one after each update. As soon as you start IDing a vehicle (or sooner) the Verus will tell you a firmware update is available for the scan module. Just agree to installing it and you're all set. Remember that the S3 has to be connected by USB to install the firmware.

You don't need to purchase separate updates for each scan module.

Joe
                  "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                  Henry Ford

Comment

• jonwally
                    • Oct 2010

I just upgraded from a MODIS to the Gen I Verus with S3 wireless. So far I love it. Not only is it wireless, but keyless too. That my two cents.

Comment

• phill57
                      • Oct 2007

S3 Wireless

Originally posted by alwayslearnin
                      Hi everyone, I have read over a few posts regarding adding the wireless module to the verus. Its kind of a mixed bag whether its worth the money or not. I like the fact my verus hard wired to the dlc will continue to be charged. But I feel the wireless module has more pro's than con's. My dealer has a demo S-3 for sale. Still don't know what the price is as yet but anything less than the retail price would be good . Can any of you guys convince me it's worth the cash? Thanks for any advice.
                      I've had the S3 wireless adapter almost since it was available. Only had a problem with it one time. Tech support said it had to be sent in for repair but I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and it's been working fine ever since. It is nice to be able to go back to the cabled internal hardware if you have to with the gen 1 Verus. Prior to that I bought a 15' cable from Cables On Demand and that was great too. Another nice addition is the docking stand that charges the unit as soon as it's set down. Love my Verus.

Comment

• prmayner
                        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                        If you are going to switch back and forth between the internal scan module and the S3, make sure you update the firmware in both of them when you install a new update.
                        To do this you just need to pair to each one after each update. As soon as you start IDing a vehicle (or sooner) the Verus will tell you a firmware update is available for the scan module. Just agree to installing it and you're all set. Remember that the S3 has to be connected by USB to install the firmware.

You don't need to purchase separate updates for each scan module.

Joe
                        I just bought a module with no cables, I literally know nothing about the unit itself. Question, How do i get to the usb connector and i if it's in the end under the flip up cover i found that but that connector doesn't look like any usb i've ever seen. Help!! Thanks. Paul

Comment

• sbreland73
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by prmayner
                          I just bought a module with no cables, I literally know nothing about the unit itself. Question, How do i get to the usb connector and i if it's in the end under the flip up cover i found that but that connector doesn't look like any usb i've ever seen. Help!! Thanks. Paul

See this for a detailed read on the different type of USB plugs. The S3 module takes a Micro-B end.
                          S. Breland

Comment

• prmayner
                            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by sbreland73
                            See this for a detailed read on the different type of USB plugs. The S3 module takes a Micro-B end.
                            thanks. and the data cable is the same as a solus ultra?

Comment

Working...