What are some of the most technologically advanced cars as far as computer systems?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phoneman85
    • Feb 2019

What are some of the most technologically advanced cars as far as computer systems?

I am interested in learning about car computer systems, and was wondering what cars have some of the most modules and or most sophisticated bus/network systems.

I know Tesla would be #1, but since most scan tools won't access 90% of it, I'll limit this to cars that most high end non OE scan tools could access. (Snap On, Autel, OTC, etc)

I watched a video of someone diagnosing a BMW, and it had at least 20 modules in it, my fiancee's Jeep has 10-15. Thought it would be cool to see what you've all worked on, and just how crazy some can be
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

BMW comes to mind for me. Even some models over 10 years old have over 50 modules in it. Awhile ago I bought a used DS708 off Craigslist real cheap I since flipped and tried it on a 07 750I and it did pretty good. I think my newer MaxiSys Pro may have only communicated with one more module.
    The problem with the Teutonic Turd's Electronic Gear Shifter defaulting back to park position was low ATF level caused by leaking Mechatronics seal. (basically the valvebody electronics bulk head connector to case sealing, and despite having no trans dipstick with all that technology in can't give you a better code explanation like fail safe park, check ATF level

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
      BMW comes to mind for me. Even some models over 10 years old have over 50 modules in it. Awhile ago I bought a used DS708 off Craigslist real cheap I since flipped and tried it on a 07 750I and it did pretty good. I think my newer MaxiSys Pro may have only communicated with one more module.
      The problem with the Teutonic Turd's Electronic Gear Shifter defaulting back to park position was low ATF level caused by leaking Mechatronics seal. (basically the valvebody electronics bulk head connector to case sealing, and despite having no trans dipstick with all that technology in can't give you a better code explanation like fail safe park, check ATF level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZoEzO6Ydvw
      Just because a marquee has a gazillion modules doesn't make it more "technologically advanced".... LMAO
      Not having a K.I.S.S. method to check fluid levels is just silly.
      Vehicles that need a myriad of software changes (some people call them updates) simply means the original software wasn't written correctly in the first place. Yes, it does happen but constant REPAIRS to poor software writing sure wasn't very "advanced" at all in the first place.
      Last edited by Crusty; 03-05-2019, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• phoneman85
        • Feb 2019

I have been finding similar results, a lot of German cars seem to be pretty sophisticated. I found a diagram of a mid 2000's Beemer, and iirc, it had 5-6 different busses and 30-40 modules. A similar diagram for a Prius was pretty cool too. Looks like most hybrids have a lot of tech in them.

Comment

Working...