X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

LSID is costly

I looked into this and if you are a one man general repair mobile tech that wants to get a J box and be able to replace and reflash modules and reprogram keys occasionally on the side for extra money ,the expectations are costly, You got to show proof of a current 1 million dollar corporate liability insurance policy plus some other $100,000 policy if you employ others. You need a copy of your current business license, official company letterhead and business cards, Succumb to a background check, Pay $300 every 2 years for license and $75 for processing fees. It appears besides paying for the subscriptions for programming modules there is additional fee per VIN incurred for obtaining security related information of the vehicle like PIN #s , key cut codes , and naturally accessing the key programming on the OE sites. I think by law if a customer wishes to get the security PIN information and key cut codes for their car the dealer should provide them this information. Screw that . If customers can provide me the PIN to their vehicles, I can swap out modules and program keys for them with a MaxiSys in many cases without the expense of purchasing an OE sub, let alone the LSID expenses. It just makes a $50 service more complicated and increase costs to what you pay at the dealership .
    Last edited by Witsend; 01-20-2018, 12:12 AM.
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
    I looked into this and if you are a one man general repair mobile tech that wants to get a J box and be able to replace and reflash modules and reprogram keys occasionally on the side for extra money ,the expectations are costly, You got to show proof of a current 1 million dollar corporate liability insurance policy plus some other $100,000 policy if you employ others. You need a copy of your current business license, official company letterhead and business cards, Succumb to a background check, Pay $300 every 2 years for license and $75 for processing fees. It appears besides paying for the subscriptions for programming modules there is additional fee per VIN incurred for obtaining security related information of the vehicle like PIN #s , key cut codes , and naturally accessing the key programming on the OE sites. I think by law if a customer wishes to get the security PIN information and key cut codes for their car the dealer should provide them this information. Screw that . If customers can provide me the PIN to their vehicles, I can swap out modules and program keys for them with a MaxiSys in many cases without the expense of purchasing an OE sub, let alone the LSID expenses. It just makes a $50 service more complicated and increase costs to what you pay at the dealership .
    James, you are correct its $375.00. As for the insurance in my area this is just normal business insurance, my boss did not have to increase anything so no extra expense there. If you own the business you have the license and just need to make a copy of it. The letterhead is a copy of one of your blank bills and a business card is something most business have anyway. The background check all happens behind the scenes and you don't even know its happening. You wouldn't want a car thief to get a LSID would you? It took 3 weeks for my boss to get his and then another 3 weeks for me to be put on as a sub account. Of course vehicle manufacturers are going to charge you for PIN's its just business. Also Jbox programming does not let you program keys on many vehicles. Some manufactures are nice and let you program most modules this way others are not. Until 2018 Jbox just had to be able to do emissions related programing. We will see what the R2R does for us with this soon. If you don't do a lot of keys its much more cost/time effective to hook up with a good automotive locksmith.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Until 2018 Jbox just had to be able to do emissions related programing. We will see what the R2R does for us with this soon. If you don't do a lot of keys its much more cost/time effective to hook up with a good automotive locksmith.
      R2R ? Just when the aftermarket seems to be accepting the fact that you need a J box to work on cars , the auto manufacturers come up with a new required tool to put the Screw to you again. R2R protocol boxes ? What's R2R acronym, "Retail 2 Ripoff?"

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

R2R is the right to repair act. It was supposed to make all this standard. Jboxes used as interfaces for all factory scan tools was one of the things. Many manufacturers already have that, Ford just came out with it but it is only for the 2018 year and forward. We will have to see how it plays out.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Should be R2R+RU (Right 2 Repair and recycle used

R2R is the right to repair act. It was supposed to make all this standard. Jboxes used as interfaces for all factory scan tools was one of the things. Many manufacturers already have that, Ford just came out with it but it is only for the 2018 year and forward. We will have to see how it plays out.
          Thanks , hope it makes things a little easier , but kinda think it's just going to get worse. I'm for Dealers providing owners of vehicles their key cut codes and security PIN codes for no charge so they can get their cars more easily serviced by the aftermarket shops if they choose to sign off . It seems you need the PIN on most cars to do any kind CIP, (coding, individualization, and programming )on many car makes as well as used programmable module installations where you can edit a VIN # to the correct VIN #. The name of the game for me and most aftermarket repair techs would be to avoid the need to buy subscriptions at all if the scan tool offers the capability to do things without buying a subscription at all by the customer obtaining their vehicle security PIN #from the dealer if they want it. The second owner if they choose to do so should be able to change the PIN # like a tire ID if they want it changed to something else, but it should be illegal to make ever Rolling PIN#s to F@ck the aftermarket

Comment

• Steve6911
            • Feb 2007

Believe me James, I know were you are coming from, many times I wish things were simpler too but I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen. But think of this..... Manufactures gives out PINS to vehicle owners without problems. Breakityourselfers buy a Chinese clone of the Chinese clone tool, go on YouTube see how to do it and again you don't get the job. When I saw how complex things were getting I started to align myself with dealer techs, some techs from this forum, tech form other forums and some other techs in my area. I try and help them whenever possible and they help me when I need it. With some of the local guys, we swap some of the factory tools when needed. Then I have a Great mobile guy for the vehicles I can't do and a great automotive locksmith. These people are my most important tools! Just try and get the measurements from your info system on where to put the target when replacing a blind spot detection module on a 2016 Acura. One call and a fax is on the way. It takes time but it is well worth establishing these relationships.
            Last edited by Steve6911; 01-22-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Believe me James, I know were you are coming from, many times I wish things were simpler too but I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen. But think of this..... Manufactures gives out PINS to vehicle owners without problems. Breakityourselfs buy a Chinese clone of the Chinese clone tool, go on YouTube see how to do it and again you don't get the job. When I saw how complex things were getting I started to align myself with dealer techs, some techs from this forum, tech form other forums and some other techs in my area. I try and help them whenever possible and they help me when I need it. With some of the local guys, we swap some of the factory tools when needed. Then I have a Great mobile guy for the vehicles I can't do and a great automotive locksmith. These people are my most important tools! Just try and get the measurements from your info system on where to put the target when replacing a blind spot detection module on a 2016 Acura. One call and a fax is on the way. It takes time but it is well worth establishing these relationships.
              Today 12:32 PM
              It's good to have a professional network of friends especially if working on newer cars in a body shop setting . Not going to be sourcing very many LKQ salvage yard parts for a 2016 Acura, so a contact at an Acura Dealer be good to know. My guess is after the new wears off and cars are 5-10 years old , Break it yourselfers will have how to you tube videos with four buddies holding a pinkpong paddles with foil on it holding their beer about 30 degree angle from the side mirror corner and hit the zero button on a Port Freight 808 and you'll be Golden and save yourself setting up a funky $5k target rack and buying an OE sub

Comment

Working...