X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

507C EGS Parking gear incorrectly engaged

I had a 2007 BMW 750I towed to me where the customer attempted to drive it to me with a charging system problem but battery went dead and car did not make it, and ended up getting towed to me . I was busy with a Camry that needed a water pump, but decided to put that car outside and let the tow truck drop the 750I in the garage to charge the battery back up some with my new battery maintainer and auto scan it. It had misfire codes , no BSD messages from charging system and no BSD message from oil condition sensor.
    The car when started with the battery maintainer on it, but would not come out of park and ran like ****, oil burning smoke and also had the 507C code parking gear incorrectly engaged, and would not come out of park so it wasn't going anywhere and I figured maybe fix the misfiring problem first and proceed to charging system diagnosis after the battery recovers some. I check oil level and the crankcase is grossly overfilled and after draining about 9 qts of oil out, I get the oil to the correct level. I keep getting misfire on #8 , verify compression , but no spark from #8 coil. Plugged the suspect coil into neighboring coil connector and still no spark. replaced #8 coil. Ran engine at a elevated speed to dissipate some oil burning off.
    Decided to let battery charge overnight. The next day I test alternator BSD wire from Alternator to PCM pin 19 (which tested ok but repaired a section of wire where some insulation and wire strands were damaged.) Noticed with the BSD connector unplugged from back of alternator the code for the oil condition sensor disappears. I remove everything needed to get access to alternator and see it's a newer replacement , missing one of the mounting bolts. Everything feels loose to come out , but I am unable rotate it and pull the thing out. WTF I try above it, I try below it, I remove the belt tension er, but for the life of me I can't get the thing out. I look inside the hole where the missing bolt is and see it is busted off inside. Well now, I got to figure it has to go back to the shop that installed the unit because this thing is a turd alone for the 2.9hr and the alternator bracket if damaged is $400 and another a 8-10hrs work not including drilling a busted bolt out. Just a bad situation where a guy with high end car is complaining about paying $60 per hour book labor rate, so back together the thing goes to where it needs to go.I feel bad for the guy I don't need another shop's Fiasco, and I don't even know what's up with the trans issue yet. Just was hoping fixing the engine codes and charging system problem it would go into gear , but who knows
    Last edited by Witsend; 02-12-2018, 09:23 PM.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Picture taken of screen of HF sewer camera view of broken off bolt inside bolt hole of alternator through bracket casting which was preventing removal of alternator.

Here's How to get a 7 series transmission out of park position and into neutral. Yes it works but doesn't mean transmission is going to engage in reverse or drive.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Witsend; 02-13-2018, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

BMW 507C code and getting trans to shift out of park

Problem just Turned out to be it was super low on fluid .Damn No dipstick Sealed for Life trans. PITA car missing all 4 lifting blocks so it can't be lifted on a typical lift , and I don't have an alignment rack.Tilted it up on right hand side and put in close to 3 qts of Valvoline Maxlife ATF by slow gravity feed from a small plastic tube and funnel until she started to dripout the fill. At least I can move it now.

Comment

Working...