Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

piece-of-cake?

I don't do much software installation in my small shop, and after a failed flash on a Ford BCM a month ago I'm in need of a confidence booster. Diagnostics confirmed internal PCM failure on a '08 silverado 6.0L, I've got new OEM PCM coming to the shop today. Anything special I need to be aware of when flashing this unit?
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Matt
    I don't do much software installation in my small shop, and after a failed flash on a Ford BCM a month ago I'm in need of a confidence booster. Diagnostics confirmed internal PCM failure on a '08 silverado 6.0L, I've got new OEM PCM coming to the shop today. Anything special I need to be aware of when flashing this unit?
    Keep on flashing! Even using OE flash equipment, good stable battery chargers, following the instructions to the T, it is a possibility that a flash may fail. It's just part of the game.
    S. Breland

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Might save you some jail time to wait for a rainy day before putting on the anti-static wrist band, galoshes , and raincoat.

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

You will have to do a security relearn after the new PCM. Select " PCM or PK3 Replaced" from the menu. 13 minute count down. Also crank relearn.
        On a side note, I need daily confidence boosters.

Comment

• Matt
          • Dec 2008

Thank you for the kind words guys. I will post results form this PCM/flash install in a few days, currently I'm juggling a dozen or so customers vehicles in the shop right now so I'm spread thin on time.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
            • Apr 2011

Easy. I recommend windows 7 64 bit or windows 10 64 bit. Just make sure it's a laptop that has nothing in it. Use it only for Flashing. Have battery charger connected and do PCM flashing first. Then do Anti-theft, That's it! Easy! Good Luck!

Comment

• Matt
              • Dec 2008

I didn't see a menu option for security relearn after installing software. Will I have to reinstall software again in order to access security menu post software install on SPS website??

Comment

• Matt
                • Dec 2008

I went back to to SPS website and clicked on "security" tab. Menu options only give option for Tech2 or SP100 (I am using a PassThruPro3). I tried clicking on both and was denied any further access.

Comment

• greasybob
                  • May 2008

It's under the theft deterrent module TDM. I have to program a radio later I'll double check.

Comment

• Matt
                    • Dec 2008

Hey Bob I found it. Its in the module menu. Kind of confusing. Once software is installed I had to go back through the SPS menu like I needed to flash another module on the same vehicle. At the bottom of the module selection list is the theft relearn option. I did not cycle the key correctly the first time after performing the security relearn so I am running it again with the instructions to cycle key off for 2 minutes and then turn to on position and wait 15 seconds before attempting to start.

Comment

• Matt
                      • Dec 2008

Attempted security relearn again without luck . What step am I missing? After I completed the 12 minute countdown I exit SPS and cycle key off for 2 min. Then I turn key on to run position for 15 seconds before attempting to crank. Security light stays illuminated.

Comment

• Matt
                        • Dec 2008

I am suspicious of faulty TDM (theft deterrent module) now. I wonder if TDM has been my issue the whole time?! Initially I did send ECM to local module repair shop which confirmed internal ECM failure before condemning ECM. I am leaning to replacing TDM now, any suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Comment

• greasybob
                          • May 2008

What codes are there after the failed relearn ?

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

a piece of cake? ... It's definately a Piece of Something

May the Piece Be with you.

The OE's lately have been getting kinda Anal with the key security BS. Maybe you could try to reprogram all the keys off line off a Maxi Cyst or a SKP 900? Are you sure some of the provided keys aren't just clones off another key and cannot be programmed by normal means?
                            Last edited by Witsend; 10-11-2017, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Matt
                              • Dec 2008

I will retrieve codes and post in a few. I am positive this is the only key for this lock cylinder.

Comment

Working...