piece-of-cake?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tech25
    • Oct 2017

Hello, I worked on a BMW in the past with similar issues that you have, many many modules were faulty, I suspected lighting also. I inspected the vehicle and found on top of the Sirius antenna ( shark fin ) there was a burnt part right at the top of it where the lighting struck.

Comment

• Stalls
      • Apr 2017

I haven't seen anything as far as pure visual evidence that it was struck by lightning yet. But so far were up to I think 10 modules lol...

Comment

• Matt
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Glide
        Funny that both you and the OP have had the same issue,maybe you could call snapon customer assistance or ACDelco.
        I only use GM MDI for GM programming,so I won't be of much help to you.
        The solution to both of our key learn problems was to reinstall the original TDM. Makes me wonder if the TDM software offered by ACDelco is toxic or the passthru device is an issue

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Any evidence the battery might have momentarily had jumper cables clamps touched in reverse polarity momentarily enough to create a big spark and a momentary surge that took out the modules before any maxi fuses actually popped?

Comment

• Glide
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Matt
            The solution to both of our key learn problems was to reinstall the original TDM. Makes me wonder if the TDM software offered by ACDelco is toxic or the passthru device is an issue
            I doubt that is the software,I've never had any software issues or programming issues with GM software,ever.Some other brands I can't say the same about...I haven't used the snapon passthru devices so I can't comment on that.
            You reinstalled the old TDM that wasn't working before(I'm assuming that it wasn't working because you replaced it).So how did that fix anything? Could have had a bad connecton?

Comment

• Matt
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Witsend
              Any evidence the battery might have momentarily had jumper cables clamps touched in reverse polarity momentarily enough to create a big spark and a momentary surge that took out the modules before any maxi fuses actually popped?
              There was a very good chance of jumper cables being used bass-akwards. This customer has done it before on other vehicles.

Comment

• Matt
                • Dec 2008

I doubt that is the software,I've never had any software issues or programming issues with GM software,ever.Some other brands I can't say the same about...I haven't used the snapon passthru devices so I can't comment on that.
                You reinstalled the old TDM that wasn't working before(I'm assuming that it wasn't working because you replaced it).So how did that fix anything? Could have had a bad connecton?
                This is a long thread so let me recap. Vehicle came in with crank-no-start condition. Diagnostics proved internal PCM failure. Replaced PCM and installed software with PassthruIII, no problem. Attempted to flash TDM with no luck. Replaced TDM with no luck. Chased down blown 2 amp TDM fuse and flashed new TDM. Keys would not learn. Almost gave up, then swapped in old TDM, flashed, learned keys, customer happy.

Comment

• Glide
                  • Jan 2015

OK.I missed the part about the blown fuse.

Comment

• Matt
                    • Dec 2008

OK.I missed the part about the blown fuse.
                    Right, that's the part of my diagnostics I'm not proud of. I couldn't get communication with theft deterrent module so I replaced it with a new factory unit. I still had no comms with theft deterrent module. So I got my powerprobe out and found no power at TDM. Chased back to blown 2 amp fuse in under-hood fuse block. I replaced the fuse and it restored communication with theft deterrent module. At that point I thought I had this thing whipped. The new TDM accepted software just fine. I then went to relearn the keys and it never would take them. I tried the quick 10 minute relearn procedure with the Passthru3 and the traditional 30 relearn procedure with cycling the key, neither one worked. I tried and tried without any luck. In desperation I installed original TDM, reflashed, and performed 10 minute key relearn, it worked!

Comment

• tech25
                      • Oct 2017

Hello, sorry but this thread is hard to read. this is the problem i see, with any car i work on, and there's no communication to a module, ALWAYS check power, ground and communication lines. Now..the problem comes in from people that overlook this simple KISS step and think because they know a car line they go overboard and make a mountain out of a ant hill.

And that " i worked on these cars before " attitude, keep people like me from chiming in and recommending more simple diagnostic paths..

no offence to anybody but... if a lesson was learned then it was a success in my book.

no body, especially me, knows everything...

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Hello, sorry but this thread is hard to read. this is the problem i see, with any car i work on, and there's no communication to a module, ALWAYS check power, ground and communication lines. Now..the problem comes in from people that overlook this simple KISS step and think because they know a car line they go overboard and make a mountain out of a ant hill.

And that " i worked on these cars before " attitude, keep people like me from chiming in and recommending more simple diagnostic paths..

no offence to anybody but... if a lesson was learned then it was a success in my book.

no body, especially me, knows everything...
                        Man, I think I got blocked from forum access for a couple days after I tried to post a little cartoon picture of Spacely Sprocket yelling You're FiredGlad I wrench for myself I can always re-hire myself after firing myself. I have at least 3 used salvage ECMs for old POS that I tried that I thought would fix issues. One ECM was for a 93 Buick that ran terrible, but the Ignition module was the culprit even though multiple repeated testing with an in store Autozone electrical component tester showed no problem with it.(A junk yard ignition module and coil pack resolved the cr@p which this car headache was instrumental on me getting my Counselor II). Another ECM belongs to a 94 or 95 Camaro that ultimately an interruption in the Ignition switch B+transition from run to crank was found to cause crank no start issues or would occasionally start and only run on 3 cylinders. The 3rd PCM was from a 98 Ford ZX2 that I fried out the Constant Control Relay Module trying to jump and bypass the Fuel Pump driver module to run the fuel pump to purge all the stale 2 year old gasoline out of the tank on a car that sat a long time.
                        Last edited by Witsend; 12-13-2017, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Working...