has anyone figured out using a pico wps500?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan69
    • Oct 2017

has anyone figured out using a pico wps500?

my boss has a pico pressure transducer kit and i tried once to use it for in cyl. pressure but the pressure started out at -75 psi and it flat lined at the top. if anyone has successfully used one i would be interested on your set up.
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Is there a procedure to "zero out" the calibration of the sensor (transducer) ?

Comment

• ryan69
      • Oct 2017

it is suppose to when it fires up

Comment

• tech25
        • Oct 2017

good morning, i assume you have a pico scope module too and the pico scope diagnostics running on a pc?

i have a lot of experience with it and its a good product. there are instructions in the diagnostics program ( make is a maserati ) that shows you how to hook it up
        refer to the pictures.

also, remember to select what cylinder you have, and note this pressure sensor measures absolute pressure, so what ever reading you get, subtract atmospheric pressure ( 14.7 psi ) from that reading. mechanical gauges are already calibrated to removed atmospheric pressure, ( hence why they read 0 psi even though theres 14.7 psi at sea level present. )

hope this helps.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

my boss has a pico pressure transducer kit and i tried once to use it for in cyl. pressure but the pressure started out at -75 psi and it flat lined at the top. if anyone has successfully used one i would be interested on your set up.
          Hey, If it is hooked up properly and reads -75 psi and I had to guess , your Boss's transducer probably got damaged from excessive pressure spike from a near hydrolock condition from fluid injested into the cylinder being tested Fuel , antifreeze, or even too much oil squirted or poured into the cylinder for wet dry compression testing.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
            Snap-on D&I
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ryan69
            If you are connecting the Pico to your Verus Edge using the pressure selections in scope, those selections are setup for use with the Snap-on transducers which sit at about .5V with no pressure to the transducer.
            In other words .5V = 0PSI
            The 100PSi transducer reads vacuum between 0 and .5V.
            If the Pico outputs 0V at 0PSI, you should select "Test lead Volts DC" on your Verus and then an appropriate voltage scale for the output range of the Pico, then convert the output to PSI.

Comment

• ryan69
              • Oct 2017

not using with a pico scope, I do not have a pico but I have a snap on verus,
              I know it works with a pico but I have a **** on scope

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Just be happy you have a scope and you can do the voltage conversion and still make money fixing Chrysler Products which technically are an Italian Stalion Brand since Fiat now owns them after Benz Daimlurded them.
                Last edited by Witsend; 10-13-2017, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• tech25
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by ryan69
                  Good morning. you only have the pressure transducer and want to hook it up directly to the verus and use the oscilloscope function to do a compression test? sorry but i don't understand the reason why you would do that. for one. you could only do one cylinder at a time. which is very time consuming, and your readings could be up for debate. with a the pico scope. you do one cylinder and you get a nice printout for the customer. with your set up you will not get a printout. could just as well use a mechanical gauge and log your results that way.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• ryan69
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by tech25
                    Good morning. you only have the pressure transducer and want to hook it up directly to the verus and use the oscilloscope function to do a compression test? sorry but i don't understand the reason why you would do that. for one. you could only do one cylinder at a time. which is very time consuming, and your readings could be up for debate. with a the pico scope. you do one cylinder and you get a nice printout for the customer. with your set up you will not get a printout. could just as well use a mechanical gauge and log your results that way.

its called a in cylinder pressure testing not compression, I see you don't have a clue about pressure transducers at all

Comment

• tech25
                      • Oct 2017

Ahhh I see, that's why you are here asking how it works? And I also see how you treat people who try to help.
                      Further more, what's pressure beside compressing a gas or other medium? As in a cylinder compressing a air fuel ratio?
                      I see who truly doesn't understand basic dynamics.

Comment

• ryan69
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by tech25
                        Ahhh I see, that's why you are here asking how it works? And I also see how you treat people who try to help.
                        Further more, what's pressure beside compressing a gas or other medium? As in a cylinder compressing a air fuel ratio?
                        I see who truly doesn't understand basic dynamics.
                        when you use in cylinder pressure transducers you are looking valves opening and closing. you are looking at how the cylinder is sealing. you can see clogged exhaust and a suction problem. using a compression gauge is not the same thing. as far as how i treated you I'm sorry maybe i was looking for someone who might be able to answer my question. this section is for lab scopes. you don't use a compression gauge with a scope. the wps500 is pico's pressure transducer that I'm trying to mate to my snap on scope. listed below is a in cylinder "waveform"
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

Similar in a way, but it's like comparing a real good 3 dimensional 4 cycle wife to a one night stand . You really get to know the suck, squeeze, bang, and blow

Comment

Working...