Anyone remember rebuilding wheel cylinders ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Anyone remember rebuilding wheel cylinders ?

Normally you just replace them now a days but I was doing the rear brakes and cylinders on a 2000 Jeep Wrangler, and let rust penetrant soak the tube nuts overnight and one side freed ok and the other side didn't.Tube nut was stuck good on line, No problem removing the bleeder, however Not much slack with line or enough room to rotate the wheel cylinder off the tube nut, so I took the old wheel cylinder apart and whipped out my ancient wheel cylinder hone and rebuilt it from the cannibalized innards of the new wheel cylinder. Just didn't feel like dealing with chasing for more parts, dealing with long lines and Auto Zoners and fabricating a new brake line afterwards. Worked out ok.
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

I'll rebuild calipers on older motorcycles, but new wheel cylinders are simply too inexpensive to rebuild.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• Glide
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
      I'll rebuild calipers on older motorcycles, but new wheel cylinders are simply too inexpensive to rebuild.

Joe
      That's right.A rebuild kit costs more than a wheel cylinder now.Same with master cylinders.

Comment

Working...