X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Common sense dictates a lower wheel nut torque

I occasionally work on a customer's 2004 Lincoln Navigator that factory wheel lugnut torque is a whopping 150 ft lbs. The factory lug nuts are much larger nuts requiring a 7/8" socket and have a much larger surface contact area in which to distribute 150 ft lbs of torque applied to them than the much smaller 19mm socket size nuts used with his aftermarket alloy wheels that are not as thick in the hub area and also hubs are Swiss Cheesed with 6 extra holes, and a plastic center adapter.
    Gut feeling is that if these smaller aftermarket nuts get torqued to original 150ft lbs that the pressure of 150ft. lbs. of torque on these smaller surface area nuts will cause damage to the aftermarket alloy wheels , and I should torqued a nut of this size on a Swiss Cheese Hub to only around 100ft lbs and to send the guy straight back to the damn place that installed the aftermarket wheels to torque to what the wheel maker says the wheel can safely handle with the smaller sized nuts. I hate playing Russian Roulette with aftermarket wheels. I've had the aftermarket nut threads yield when torquing some of these aftermarket wheels to factory specs , so I'm scared to torque these smaller area wheel nuts to 150 ft lbs.
    Last edited by Witsend; 01-02-2018, 02:42 PM.
Working...