Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lancepoulin@msn.com
    • Sep 2011

in cylinder testing? whats correct transducer

im having a problem finding correct pressure transducer configuration to use my verus pro. id like to do some in cylinder testing so I can learn to do this myself instead of watching scanner danner or motortrend guys. can yall tell me what I should use. I know paul danner uses a fluke pv 350 for his pico but I don't have a pico and not sure it would work... help
  • maven
    • Mar 2014

EEPV302AT(500psi transducer/cable) and EEMS301A05(adapter) are SnapOn options for a pressure transducer. These two items cost about the same as the Fluke PV350. There is also a 100psi and 5000psi transducer available.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

bluetooth pressure transducer, that work like a TPMS?

I don't think I would spend over a grand these days for a single pressure transducer that has long wires and hoses tethered to it, when you can just check relative compression with an amp probe and just go to check real compression and cylinder leak down on suspect cylinder with good analog gauges. I'm thinking Harbor Freight or Autel be selling some wireless digital master compression, fuel pressure, oil pressure tester checker pretty soon for around $119.99
      Last edited by Witsend; 04-02-2014, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• maven
        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
        I don't think I would spend over a grand these days for a single pressure transducer that has long wires and hoses tethered to it, when you can just check relative compression with an amp probe and just go to check real compression and cylinder leak down on suspect cylinder with good analog gauges. I'm thinking Harbor Freight or Autel be selling some wireless digital master compression, fuel pressure, oil pressure tester checker pretty soon for around $119.99
        Its "only" about $350 for a pressure transducer like the SnapOn and Fluke ones being discussed, not a grand....And to be honest I doubt 99% of the guys out there with this equipment are using it for basic testing like relative compression or even as the first thing thats grabbed for individual cylinder testing.

Transducers allow you to see accurately how the pressure builds and decays in the cylinder, in relation to timing events. You cant do this with a mechanical gauge.

Comment

• diesel71
          • Feb 2008

when you use cheap diagnostic tools you will get cheap results. I always use the pressure transducer with my verus to check compression, its extremely accurate and I can keep screen shots to show the test to customers.
          my work is mostly on diesels and telling a customer you need a 12 grand engine plus labor;;;;;well you better be right and have some test results to show why they need to spend that kind of money.

Comment

• pcdoc2001
            • Apr 2014

Accurate Timing Tests and More

I agree that good tools give reliable results. Being able to see exactly when the valves are opening by putting an in cylinder tranducer on one channel and a trigger signal from the same cylinders ignition coil on a second channel you can accurately see the valve timing of a gasoline engine. I have spotted bad timing gears, chains that are stretched and other components that would be hard to diagnose otherwise. Blowing it up and showing it to the client sells engine jobs and builds customer confidence that we are not guessing at their repairs. Joe

Comment

• DIAGDUDE
              • Apr 2014

cylinder wave form

I use the snap-on 500 psi transducer - set the scale to 100psi to capture the running wave form pattern to check valve timing. It works good, I wish snap-on had a pre-set wave form for this with overlays. You have to use the cursers to find the peek to peek time, then divide by 4 to find the time point for exhaust valve opening. Still it works pretty well. It also gives you cranking compression (max pressure reading at the bottom) even when you have the scale set to 100 psi.

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Using pressure transducer to check compression

Maven mentioned the cost of a good pressure transducer running only around $350, not a grand. I was basing my guess on what I saw Pico site lists and didn't know they cost considerably less elsewhere.

Comment

• lancepoulin@msn.com
                  • Sep 2011

thnx alot guys. i purchased the snapon 500 psi and had to buy the split adapter. it werked great out of the boxes. i tried mak8ng 1 out of a diesel high press transducer and couldnt get to work. appreciate everyones responses

Comment

• lancepoulin@msn.com
                    • Sep 2011

can i use my 500 psi transducer for fuel pressure as well? fuel wont hurt it?

Comment

• diesel71
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by lancepoulin@msn.com
                      can i use my 500 psi transducer for fuel pressure as well? fuel wont hurt it?
                      yes, I have used mine on fuel/oil/air and even coolant for testing. just clean it out after use.

Comment

• mechanix0809
                        • Feb 2012

How do you clean a pressure transducer

How would you go about cleaning a pressure transducer. I just got one. Been trying to learn it before actually need it. Used 3 times on 3 different cars, but only for running compression test.

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

Pressure transducer cleaning

I wouldn't spray anything too harsh like contact cleaner or that gets very cold . If no care instructions , maybe a little WD-40 or mineral spirits on the business end wouldn't hurt it, then wipe it down and store with a a dry clean lintfree cotton rag over the end that will eventually draw out fluid. Whatever residue remains in it after that won't be enough to cross contaminate anything.

Comment

• diesel71
                            • Feb 2008

I just use some mild dish detergent in the end to flush out the oil or whatever you used it on. you just don't want to leave the liquids soaking in the sensor end for long periods of time.

Comment

• David Green
                              • Oct 2009

Forte (Not sure it is available in your area) lubricants are very good , the Fuel System Cleaner can be used to remove oil and leaves no traces, I have used it in cooling systems where oil coolers have leaked internally and the results are brilliant.

Do a google search it may be worth a look

Comment

Working...