Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • harley1rocker
    • Dec 2011

Need Update Info!!!!

Hey guys. I just recently obtained a modis for cheap. All cables euro coverage and all that. Anyhow is there anywere i could buy a update 4 this thing? Its currently 6.2.... my local snap on guy is telling me that its gotta be sent off and it will cost like 2500$$$!!! He says the 12.2 update is just to much info for the modis so they gotta change the motherboard or somthin. Is he correct? 12.2 wont fit? I know i can buy it off snap on.com... If i do that will it work?
  • Jay G.
    Administrator
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by harley1rocker
    Hey guys. I just recently obtained a modis for cheap. All cables euro coverage and all that. Anyhow is there anywere i could buy a update 4 this thing? Its currently 6.2.... my local snap on guy is telling me that its gotta be sent off and it will cost like 2500$$$!!! He says the 12.2 update is just to much info for the Modis so they gotta change the motherboard or somthin. Is he correct? 12.2 wont fit? I know i can buy it off snap on.com... If i do that will it work?
    The first thing you need to do is check the scanner plugin by pulling it out of the top left of the Modis. If the body of the scanner plugin is metal you will need to update it to the latest version, if it is plastic then you are OK and it can be updated.

The second thing you will need it a 512 mb CF card in order fit the 12.2 or the 12.4 build.

Hope this helps

Jay

Comment

• harley1rocker
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Jay G.
      The first thing you need to do is check the scanner plugin by pulling it out of the top left of the Modis. If the body of the scanner plugin is metal you will need to update it to the latest version, if it is plastic then you are OK and it can be updated.

The second thing you will need it a 512 mb CF card in order fit the 12.2 or the 12.4 build.

Hope this helps

Jay
      God yes it helps man. This is good to know. And what do u mean plug in? You talkin bout were u plug the 12v source in?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

The scanner module is the plastic cartridge that the scanner cable connects to. If you are at Version 6.2 then you would really have to have a plastic scan module. You couldn't update past Version 4.4 or so without it. So look at the top of your Modis, where the scanner cable goes. Is that part plastic or metal? If it is plastic, then just ask your Dealer to order a CF update for it, instead of using Scanbay to update your current card, and you should be good.

You'll need to order several keys that have been added too.

Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• harley1rocker
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
          The scanner module is the plastic cartridge that the scanner cable connects to. If you are at Version 6.2 then you would really have to have a plastic scan module. You couldn't update past Version 4.4 or so without it. So look at the top of your Modis, where the scanner cable goes. Is that part plastic or metal? If it is plastic, then just ask your Dealer to order a CF update for it, instead of using Scanbay to update your current card, and you should be good.

You'll need to order several keys that have been added too.

Joe
          Yea its plastic. The connector is metal. The housing that surrounds it is plastic tho. And my snap on dealer is tryn to get me 2 buy another scanner. Hes sayn i cant update. Hes sayn that NO modis can be updated now. Hes young. New to the game. He absolutly refuses to sale me an update. Wats up with that?

Comment

• harley1rocker
            • Dec 2011

Is there anybody i might be able to buy 1 from? I figured i could. Being a snap on forum and all. Is there any snap on dealers in the house???

Comment

• Joe Rappa
              Snap-on DSD
              • Aug 2007

He is mistaken about not being able to update it. You can get one here if you want to:

I feel sorry for the new guys. There is SO much for them to learn, and the brain can only absorb so much at a time.
              Henry Ford

Comment

• harley1rocker
                • Dec 2011

He is mistaken about not being able to update it. You can get one here if you want to:

I feel sorry for the new guys. There is SO much for them to learn, and the brain can only absorb so much at a time.
                I hate askin so many questions. Can i ask u 1 more? Can i pull the cf card with the scanner off of course. And ol boy said it had to be at least 512mb. That rigjt

Comment

• harley1rocker
                  • Dec 2011

How does this work? JUST send snap on the money and they email the update? Or do they send a whole kit? Cf card and all?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                    Snap-on DSD
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by harley1rocker
                    I hate askin so many questions. Can i ask u 1 more? Can i pull the cf card with the scanner off of course. And ol boy said it had to be at least 512mb. That rigjt
                    You may already know this, so forgive me if you do.

The update is on the CF card that is under the left hand grip. you can pull it out as long as the Modis is off. Remember that the CF card on a modis is actually the hard drive, so it needs to be in there for the Modis to work. You can check the size of the card on your PC, but don't attempt to mess with any of the files on there!

If you buy an update from Snap-on directly, you purchase it with a Credit Card, and the new CF update shows up by UPS. Follow the directions for installing it, and you're all set. There is nothing in the box but a new CF card and directions. Put your old card in the top CF slot and save files to it (if you save files)
                    You can also give that part number to your dealer and tell him to get it for you.

Joe
                    Henry Ford

Comment

• harley1rocker
                      • Dec 2011

You may already know this, so forgive me if you do.

The update is on the CF card that is under the left hand grip. you can pull it out as long as the Modis is off. Remember that the CF card on a modis is actually the hard drive, so it needs to be in there for the Modis to work. You can check the size of the card on your PC, but don't attempt to mess with any of the files on there!

If you buy an update from Snap-on directly, you purchase it with a Credit Card, and the new CF update shows up by UPS. Follow the directions for installing it, and you're all set. There is nothing in the box but a new CF card and directions. Put your old card in the top CF slot and save files to it (if you save files)
                      You can also give that part number to your dealer and tell him to get it for you.

Joe
                      Nice!!! So the 512mb cf is not needed. The cf that comes from snap on will be the 1 i need. And you mean the part nber for the update?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                        Snap-on DSD
                        • Aug 2007

The new card will be a 512MB, so you won't need to get anything else to make it work.
                        Yes. Give that part number to your Dealer. Either he can order it for you, or you can buy it directly from Snap-on.

Joe
                        Henry Ford

Comment

• Skip
                          Super Moderator
                          • Apr 2008

You can expect to need a few new keys as well.

Comment

• tomtec
                            • Jun 2013

modis update

you can get a c/f update card part number eesp300m12 13.2 modis bundle kit I bought a s-69 key wifes Volvo s 60 and a s-44 key for my nephews 02 audi a4 I do miss the r.p.m. control on the late 90s ford trucks

Comment

Working...