Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jm43130
    • Apr 2008

Gm BCM Info

FYI, I had a 2007 Impala LT with 3.9 v-6 here, that had Abs, Tcs, Srs lights on and radio showed locked. Codes were config errors, implausible data codes and radio locked for Vin problem. Found a TSB for battery going dead and it was to reprogram SRS, perform BPP relearn, setup SRS, and Rezero PSS in pass seat. That didn't work and B1001 code had me check VIN info stored in BCM. It had a VIN for a 2010 Impala LS with a 3.5 v-6, with a complete valid VIN. Now was the time to try and program junkyard BCM. I did a replace and reprogram on used BCM. It went perfectly and immediately radio unlocked. Then I did reflash SDM again, performed setup new SDM and rezeroed PSS sensor, and everything worked perfectly. I had always been told you could not change programmed VIN in a BCM, that once it was in there, it stayed. Well on this particular combination, I was able to reprogram used BCM and change VIN. It at least worked here, maybe worth a try on others.
  • Ruston11
    • Feb 2015

Sorry y ou cannot get rid of the vin. You will need a new bcm to fix this vehicle.
    That is the only module that you cant use a salvage. After 09 you can hardly use anything used.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

I am surprised that there is not a more powerful private organization lobbying law makers representing professional technicians and car owners for sensible right to repair and recycle-ability laws so that we can more easily recycle and re program thess otherwise fine modules and recycle used electronics instead of unnecessarily spending a hundreds for something new that you can readily get at a wrecking yard for $25.
      Last edited by Witsend; 06-17-2016, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Witsend
        spending a hundreds for something new that you can readily get at a wrecking yard for $25.
        And this is why it will most likely never change.
        S. Breland

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Hey, All it would take is to get the small and very vocal group of dedicated liberals and the media to get distracted from the LGBT cause for awhile and somehow get them to see that new OBD 4 regulations would recycle more electronics , keep everyone's car repairs simpler and cheaper, which would translate into to more money left in their pocket after their Prius repairs for a new pair of panties at Victor/Victoria Secret. Slogan? "We don't have to take it in The @zz Non Con-sensually!
          Last edited by Witsend; 06-17-2016, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• jm43130
            • Apr 2008

I was able to change the vin in this BCM. Even though you say can't be done. I did this one myself, and it did change VIN in the BCM and immediately radio unlocked. That is also why SRS codes were on. Code B1001, says to check SRS data, go to key identification menu, and check secondary key status, which mine was invalid. then to look at received Vin data digits 2-7, which mine were coded for a 2010 Impala LS with a 3.5. That's when I checked VIN in BCM and it was wrong. Then I reprogrammed to my VIN for a 2007 Impala LT with 3.9. It did change , because I did it myself. Then all key data status was valid and VIN digits matched. All good. I don't know why, but if I hadn't done this myself, I wouldn't believe it either

Comment

• Glide
              • Jan 2015

GM BCM's and most other modules have always been able to be reprogrammed/flashed to another same vehicle with the exception of older J bodys (sunfire/cavalier) that had the mileage in them,and even they may work,but the mileage can't be changed.

Comment

• jm43130
                • Apr 2008

Glide, glad to hear that, I will definitely try this on next one I get. Salvage yards might like it also if they can sell these.

Comment

• longhungsilver
                  • Oct 2013

Just be careful. Sometimes when u installed a usd bcm it will take the mileage and transfer it to the cluster. If you reinstall the old bcm you will still have the used bcm mileage if it is higher then the original.

Comment

• jm43130
                    • Apr 2008

Just installed another used BCM and reflashed for correct vehicle in another 2006 Impala. Had to perform Brake pedal position setup, and sdm key setup, but is working okay. I did check and mileage is stored in instrument cluster on these vehicles.

Comment

• SpartanAutoworx
                      • Aug 2016

Most GM BCMs 2003 and up can be reprogrammed.

I flash a couple a month off car for 03 up GM Trucks.

Comment

• konsheyn
                        • Oct 2016

Changing vin is quite simple task. But you hava to have some soldering skills.
                        It is usually located in 8 pins SMD chip, which is easy to work with. Much harder to deal with HVAC vin replacement. In mine it was fine pitch smd device with about 84 pins or so. But again, success from first time.

Originally posted by jm43130
                        FYI, I had a 2007 Impala LT with 3.9 v-6 here, that had Abs, Tcs, Srs lights on and radio showed locked. Codes were config errors, implausible data codes and radio locked for Vin problem. Found a TSB for battery going dead and it was to reprogram SRS, perform BPP relearn, setup SRS, and Rezero PSS in pass seat. That didn't work and B1001 code had me check VIN info stored in BCM. It had a VIN for a 2010 Impala LS with a 3.5 v-6, with a complete valid VIN. Now was the time to try and program junkyard BCM. I did a replace and reprogram on used BCM. It went perfectly and immediately radio unlocked. Then I did reflash SDM again, performed setup new SDM and rezeroed PSS sensor, and everything worked perfectly. I had always been told you could not change programmed VIN in a BCM, that once it was in there, it stayed. Well on this particular combination, I was able to reprogram used BCM and change VIN. It at least worked here, maybe worth a try on others.

Comment

Working...