Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dp1mat
    • May 2009

Pass Thru Pro II BEWARE!

We just bought one of these 2 weeks ago. We bought it mainly to reflash Chrysler products. I had a 2000 Concorde it wouldn't flash the pcm but flashed the tcm however my modis didn't communicate with pcm either and I had no 5v ref on anything. I bought a pcm preflashed and car fixed. We had a 2003 1ton dodge I couldn't flash the pcm but it flashed tcm. Today I had a 2005 or 2006 1 ton dodge, complaint of trans shifting funny intermittent no codes, checked the pcm # and found a updated flash for trans shift strategy. Well I download the flash reflash the computer and it sort of hangs at the end says error no communication with bus. I start vehicle it dies, start it again dies. Scan it and it needs vin programmed and the skim relearned needless to say I am upset. Call Snap-On they say it is not their problem its Chrysler problem and that I need call Chrysler yea sure. I then tell Snap-On they need to put a note on their web page stating it doesn't work with Dodge and we get into it. Tell him I bought the thing to flash dodges and whats the use of having to flash it when it will still need to be finished at dealer. Seriously considering sending it back to snap-on. I then find out this about the Pass Thru Pro 2

We are investigating an issue with 2003-2007 Dodge Ram vehicles equipped with Cummins engines. After programming this vehicle, the VIN is lost and the vehicle will not start. Until this problem is resolved, we suggest that technicians avoid reprogramming this vehicle with the techauthority.com website.

Flash Chryslers at you own risk!
  • jrorl63
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Did you contact Drew Technologies? It's been my experience that when support is needed with Pass Thru Pro II its best to contact the manufacturer directly. Their support simply rocks!!!

or
    support@drewtech.com

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by dp1mat
      We just bought one of these 2 weeks ago. We bought it mainly to reflash Chrysler products. I had a 2000 Concorde it wouldn't flash the pcm but flashed the tcm however my modis didn't communicate with pcm either and I had no 5v ref on anything. I bought a pcm preflashed and car fixed.
      Hi DP,
      This sounds like the car needed a PCM and not a reflash. If you have no commmiunication and no 5V reference it is unlikely that a reflash will even work, let alone repair it. Thanks for posting the note on the known Cummins problem. Hopefully they'll get that straightened out soon.

Unfortuantely pcm reflashing is a sketchy business. Many of the manufacturers have glitches that prevent repair shops from performing reflashes successfully. Not to sound like anyone is passing the buck....but Snap-on/Drew Technologies reflasher is compliant with the current regulations. When a reflash doesn't work as advertised it is definitely the car manufacturers fault. Their software is not loading properly. The reflasher is just the vessel that passes the info along to the car. That's all.
      It's kinda like OBDII. If the car doesn't transmit the data correctly, it's not the fault of the scanner. It's the car.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• etm281
        • Aug 2008

Dodge problems

I just had a similar issue Snap on shouldn't sell something if they don't know what it can and cant do. All snap on techs do is blame the manufacture, which is fine but we spent money with Snap on and the manufacture, the mechanics doing the work and spending the money are getting lied to Snap on needs to do something besides make excuses. A tech had the nerve to tell me i should have researched better what i was buying but the driver on the truck said yeah you can flash pcm's like the dealer so that means you can make vehicles work. Its a bad deal still almost 2 years later.

Comment

• kebo1970
          • Nov 2008

the tech was right; you should've researched an item costing $1600.00 before you bought it. the guy on the truck is just a salesman; he has no idea how to use most of the tools on the truck. the pass-thru proII is a generic flasher and you usually get generic results when using it.

Comment

• USpMD
            • Oct 2010

Generic results, really??

Hey , I'm responding because there have been 2400 views of this post, lets correct the record, if you were unable to communicate with the PCM, why would you try to reflash it?? Open the book and perform the pinpoint test, I suspect it would have lead you to replace the PCM based on proper diagnostics, Snap-on tool reps are indeed salesman first, however the reason they stay in business is because they care about their clients, I'm sure there just like you, Let me ask you something, when you went to the New car Dealer to buy your last car did the dealer or salesmen teach you how to drive?? Did you buy a J2534 box and expect to become a reflash expert overnight? There are what 44 makes sold in the USA alone, every one of them has a different process to update or program there modules, most years are different, the J2534 is just a interface form the vehicle to computer software, all software is provided by the manufactures, not Snap-on, these other replies are correct, you do need to get educated, Reflashing takes a lot of patience , practice , training and experience, most of which comes of years, if it were that easy they wouldn’t be paying us to do it. Do your homework; I’m sure you will catch on….Good luck
            "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• protraxrptr17
              • Aug 2010

I just want to throw out there that the computer you use makes alot of difference. I used to have very little success with Fords. I bought a new computer and now it works first time, every time. GMs have always been really easy. I still have trouble getting the chrysler stuff to work. i think it has to do with the way it stores the download. The gm is the most streamlined and easiest to use.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                • Apr 2011

Well, to throw in my 2 cents. I have found that after testing, if you find out the cars PCM needs to be reflashed or put in a new PCM, u can do it with the PTPII and a decent Windows XP lappy. I learned everything online after a few weeks and by now I can flash Chryslers no problem, Flash PCM, Skim reset, Write VIN, Write SRI and clear codes(just in case. This is all done with the PTPII Tool Box 2. Which you can get from the company. This process usually takes me about 30 minutes. I use cables for everything, no WIFI, connect battery with charger and my VERUS as well. Then, after you've successfully flashed the PCM, turn the car on and off 6 times, after the 7th the car should stay on, if not, do it again or double check with more test. I once had to do it twice on a Dodge and it finally worked after that. Now from what I was told and read, the BCM is another story to flash. I would like to see if anyone has a tool or software BESIDES the DBRIII that can let you flash other modules, not just the PCM and TCM. I've searched online but no one has giving a straight answer. Thank you for your time, regards Chavez.

Comment

• Wild Turkey
                  • Jan 2012

Educate yourself

I never received any training on how to use the passthru, or asked anyone how to use it. Take the time to read, research, and develop your knowledge on how to use it yourself, and I can assure you, if you really want to learn how to use it, you will. I've been programming fords and chryslers for a few years now, without any problems. PLEASE do NOT put down a product just because you don't know how to use it. thanks

Comment

• dp1mat
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by Wild Turkey
                    I never received any training on how to use the passthru, or asked anyone how to use it. Take the time to read, research, and develop your knowledge on how to use it yourself, and I can assure you, if you really want to learn how to use it, you will. I've been programming fords and chryslers for a few years now, without any problems. PLEASE do NOT put down a product just because you don't know how to use it. thanks
                    I have used it on other chryslers, gm stuff just fine. At the time the tool man who sold it claimed it would flash all. Well it would flash 03 and newer dodge cummins but it wouldnt program skim and when you cranked it it started died and then went off to dealer. I have not tried using it anymore on those vehicles. I own oem tooling for fords, and gm just havent got oem for chryco yet. But needless to say I am disapointed in it a little. I put this post up so anyone else wouldnt have to go through what I did.

Comment

• sbreland73
                      • Jan 2009

My penny and half: a few years back, I worked at shop that did extensive diesel repair, and even those techs would scream that the Cummins contoller on some model years (which is NOT Chrysler software) does not play nice sometimes, even with a DRBIII.
                      S. Breland

Comment

• neilrowland
                        • Mar 2012

pass thru pro and dodge cummins

my son and i have a mobile diag.and reflashing buisiness.the problem IS with chrysler on these vehicles.chrysler tried to marry a cummins engine pcm with a ngc controller.I have the factory chrysler tools and i won't do these because it's a software issue between these controllers.the dealers are having problems but they have a stock of computers they can throw at the problem and we don't.we use a pass thru pro and a standard i-flash daily and don't have any problems flashing. alot of times you need the factory tools to finish the configurations.some gm modules will only program old school.had a 2005 trailblazer passanger door module that will only program tech2 remote.this is not all plug and play like alot of folks believe.takes alot of research and patience to learn and the auto manufacturers are less than helpful to say the least.the 2 tools i mentioned are verified through the oem's websites.every manufacturer has specifications listed.you can find links through nastf.Happy reading.

Comment

• Banchor171
                          • Sep 2008

You need to read before trying to program.

Did you install the tool box. In big red letter it tell you not to perform reflash on on dodge cummins modules. it will not write the vin back to the module. Not the tool the user. This is why i say read and read and read somemore before trying to flash promgram.

Good luck.
                          Brian

Comment

• metrorodo
                            • Oct 2011

Passthru Pro2

You are absolutely right.I went through the same **** and after countless hours on the phone with technical support,they arrived to the conclusion that i couldn't flash Chrysler products at all.I bought a Verus with the Passthru Pro2 mainly to flash Chryslers,being a Chrysler tech i thought it was a good idea to have this tool...god i was wrong.I tried to flash a 04 Grand Caravan using the scanner and guess what??..not enough memory on the scanner to do it,then i bought a laptop loaded with Win7 just to find out that Chrysler don't like the Passthru Pro2 any more,great! Chryslers is not the only issue here,i had the same problem with Nissans,GMs,Toyotas where the flasher won't communicate with the vehicle due to incompatibility issues.Nothing pisses me off more than to find out i won't be able to flash a vehicle after i paid for a freaking subscription and there's no way to get my money back.i ended up selling the Passthru Pro to a friend of mine...he hasn't talked to me ever since!

Originally posted by dp1mat
                            We just bought one of these 2 weeks ago. We bought it mainly to reflash Chrysler products. I had a 2000 Concorde it wouldn't flash the pcm but flashed the tcm however my modis didn't communicate with pcm either and I had no 5v ref on anything. I bought a pcm preflashed and car fixed. We had a 2003 1ton dodge I couldn't flash the pcm but it flashed tcm. Today I had a 2005 or 2006 1 ton dodge, complaint of trans shifting funny intermittent no codes, checked the pcm # and found a updated flash for trans shift strategy. Well I download the flash reflash the computer and it sort of hangs at the end says error no communication with bus. I start vehicle it dies, start it again dies. Scan it and it needs vin programmed and the skim relearned needless to say I am upset. Call Snap-On they say it is not their problem its Chrysler problem and that I need call Chrysler yea sure. I then tell Snap-On they need to put a note on their web page stating it doesn't work with Dodge and we get into it. Tell him I bought the thing to flash dodges and whats the use of having to flash it when it will still need to be finished at dealer. Seriously considering sending it back to snap-on. I then find out this about the Pass Thru Pro 2

We are investigating an issue with 2003-2007 Dodge Ram vehicles equipped with Cummins engines. After programming this vehicle, the VIN is lost and the vehicle will not start. Until this problem is resolved, we suggest that technicians avoid reprogramming this vehicle with the techauthority.com website.

Flash Chryslers at you own risk!

Comment

• prmayner
                              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by metrorodo
                              You are absolutely right.I went through the same **** and after countless hours on the phone with technical support,they arrived to the conclusion that i couldn't flash Chrysler products at all.I bought a Verus with the Passthru Pro2 mainly to flash Chryslers,being a Chrysler tech i thought it was a good idea to have this tool...god i was wrong.I tried to flash a 04 Grand Caravan using the scanner and guess what??..not enough memory on the scanner to do it,then i bought a laptop loaded with Win7 just to find out that Chrysler don't like the Passthru Pro2 any more,great! Chryslers is not the only issue here,i had the same problem with Nissans,GMs,Toyotas where the flasher won't communicate with the vehicle due to incompatibility issues.Nothing pisses me off more than to find out i won't be able to flash a vehicle after i paid for a freaking subscription and there's no way to get my money back.i ended up selling the Passthru Pro to a friend of mine...he hasn't talked to me ever since!

LoL. He wont talk to you no more,That's funny. I just got a ptp2 trying to do a mazda, Man what a pain says no comm. with pcm, but verus communicates fine. Here we go.

Comment

Working...