Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Green
    • Oct 2009

VW Beetle 2004 model petrol

Hi, can anyone advise on this type of running problem please.

It's not specific to VW as I have experinced this fault also on Ford amongst others. When the car is stationary and the engine is running at idle the engine is smooth with no problems, but if you gently and gradually increase the RPM to between 2500 - 3000 RPM and try to hold it there, the engine surges badly and sometimes accelerates off without control.

I guess I am going to be left with this problem because our other techs can't resolve it. I am wondering if it is a throttle programming fault or something along those lines.

Any advice much appreciated

David
  • autodoc
    • Aug 2008

throttle body

it seems most likely dave. so what i'd suggest is to do a clean up on the throttle body literally take it off the vehicle get some wd40 to it first of all with a toothbrush and then finish up with some brake or carb cleaner then do the throttle body reset procedure and then hope for the best

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Just be careful doing a throttle body reset. If they fail their sweep test the will stop operating. It is possible to have a good running car, perform a TB Reset, and then need to replace the throttle body to get the car running again. Same thing can happen when a battery dies.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

Working...