Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandt38
    • May 2012

Viewing .vsc file on Verus

I was working on a buddy's quad last night and decided to scope a bunch of ignition input signals. Based on the manual's voltages we narrowed it down to his pick up trigger. We tore the trans cover off the bike and found a bunch of trash jammed between the pick up and the stator. The factory .020 gap was closer to .250.

But I went to view my saved files this morning and couldn't find them in my data manager... and I noticed there were a ton of files missing from it. Going into my documents/shopstream/scopemultimeter folder showed the missing, and displayed documents. I see the movies I can view are labled .vsm, and those I cannot view are .vsc. I tried to open them with SCanner Data Viewer, but it said it could open the file with the associated program.

How do I view this, and why is my scanner occasionally electing to store some as .vsc and others as .vsm?
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by sandt38
    But I went to view my saved files this morning and couldn't find them in my data manager... and I noticed there were a ton of files missing from it. Going into my documents/shopstream/scopemultimeter folder showed the missing, and displayed documents. I see the movies I can view are labled .vsm, and those I cannot view are .vsc. I tried to open them with SCanner Data Viewer, but it said it could open the file with the associated program.

How do I view this, and why is my scanner occasionally electing to store some as .vsc and others as .vsm?
    The .vsm files are the scope movies you have saved. The .vsc files are the "presets" or scope configurations that you have set up. If I were to guess, I would say the .vsm = Vantage Scope Movie and .vsc = Vantage Scope Configuration, but since I don't write code for Snap-on, I don't know for sure.

When saving in the labscope, you can chose "Save Configuration" = saves the setup you have made (trace voltage, time base, etc), Save Single frame = saves a single frame of data (screenshot), Save All Frames = saves your scope movie (like the data PIDS in Scanner).

I personally prefer to use Shop Stream connect to view and playback any recordings I have made. I know Atlas has a data manger, but I feel it is still weak by comparison.
    S. Breland

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
      Snap-on D&I
      • Nov 2006

To add towhat S. Breland said:

The preset files (AKA configurations) are not visible in the Data Manager, but can be seen under the Presets menu when select Scope Multimeter from the Home screen. They don’t contain scope data. They do contain scope settings.

If you selected “Save Configuration” instead of “Save Single Frame” or “Save All Frames” when saving data, the scope settings are saved, not the waveform data. The preset file you saved will then be displayed on the Preset menu.

When yous elect a Preset from the menu, it will open the scope with the settings that were present when you saved the preset. This feature allows you to save scope settings you use frequently so that you can easily use them again when needed without having to make them all again.

VSM = VerusScope movie

Comment

• sandt38
        • May 2012

Thanks fellas. Guess I need to pay more attention when I save

Comment

• Wheel
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sbreland73

I personally prefer to use Shop Stream connect to view and playback any recordings I have made. I know Atlas has a data manger, but I feel it is still weak by comparison.
          One of MANY areas Atlas is lame compared to the older software.
          One would have thought they'd have had ample time by now (3 years?)
          to restore what they took away in 10.4.

Shop Stream connect may have a few bugs, and more features could be added to enhance it, but it is one really good program. It has really helped me out to pinpoint problems.
          You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Wheel
            One of MANY areas Atlas is lame compared to the older software.
            One would have thought they'd have had ample time by now (3 years?)
            to restore what they took away in 10.4.

Shop Stream connect may have a few bugs, and more features could be added to enhance it, but it is one really good program. It has really helped me out to pinpoint problems.

Without SSC I wouldn't have even considered SnapOn equipment.

The ability to Record, Save, Recall and Review files from either a previous time or from another vehicle to compare against the one working on is pretty much an obvious necessity with all the vast amounts of data available on today's vehicles.

It's an awesome program and deserves more attention than it has been given in the past and I believe SnapOn is starting to see just how many people use it and rely on it.

Saving files on computers has been going on for several decades now. I hope that just because data storage capabilities are getting larger, they don't use up space frivolously like they do with the ULTRA bitmaps at 751KB for a screen shot that takes less than 100KB with a Solus-Pro. Even the newer hard drives have limits.

Comment

Working...