OTC Genisys EVO new for $1095 wouldyou buy it?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by sandt38
    Is there such a thing as a perfect scan tool?

Apparently I missed that memo.
    Humm, I check my "inbox" daily, and I must have missed that one also.
    S. Breland

Comment

• Wheel
      • Jul 2007

Is there such a thing as a perfect scan tool?

Apparently I missed that memo.
      I'm gonna try to answer this one for ya. Good question by the way.
      No there is not, nor will there ever be a perfect scan tool, not even the OEM tool for a given make.

Now that we got that out of the way, perfection should always be the mark, because often to meet one's goal, one must aim higher than that goal.

Today's winner who is willing to rest on his past laurels and just accept the status quo will be tomorrow's loser.
      This is like a football team being satisfied with reaching the 10 yard line instead of insisting upon doing their best to cross the goal line. The point is they did good reaching the 10 yard line, but they can do better and should. It will be their indifference and the lack of willingness to do their best much more so than the opposing team that defeats them.

The things people like me, Crusty, and others bring up are legitimate issues, or ways to improve the tools. We may sound like a broken record sometimes, but that is because certain issues we strongly feel are important or vital aren't being addressed either at all or not as well as they could be. By sharing complaints and ideas with Snap On, we are at least giving them another chance to earn our trust and our business before we take it elsewhere. Many customers simply say nothing - to you anyway- and never give you that second chance. Anyone in business for awhile knows what I am talking about here.

I can't speak for anyone else, but if I didn't believe Snap On had worthwhile tools with a lot of untapped potential, I wouldn't be wasting my time here or corresponding with them to try to get them to make a good tool better - I would be bothering some other diagnostic tool maker with my ideas and complaints - and if they listened be buying their equipment instead
      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• sandt38
        • May 2012

Yeah, the issues have been brought up a million times. I have yet to encounter a perfect tool. I'll mention shortcomings from time to time, but I am not going to sound like a broken record. It's not worth it.

I own several scan tools, and not a single one is perfect. All we can do is fill in the gaps with other tools. It just isn't worth it to someone like me who works on everything Asian and domestic to buy all the factory tools. I own a few factory tools, not one is perfect.

Oh well.

Comment

• Wheel
          • Jul 2007

Yeah, the issues have been brought up a million times. I have yet to encounter a perfect tool. I'll mention shortcomings from time to time, but I am not going to sound like a broken record. It's not worth it.

It would be worth it if someone high enough on the Snap On payscale would listen. But it seems that those individuals have their own agenda for what the tools should be, and the end user's wants and suggestions
          are just used by them for toilet paper, so you are probably right about it not being worth it.

I own several scan tools, and not a single one is perfect. All we can do is fill in the gaps with other tools. It just isn't worth it to someone like me who works on everything Asian and domestic to buy all the factory tools. I own a few factory tools, not one is perfect.

I hear ya as I am in the same boat. Customers like a one stop shop for
          all their vehicles, so you wind up with the choice of working on all their cars or none of them, and with these economic times you know the choice you have to make.

Oh well.
          I just wish a scan tool maker would realize that high dollar is being spent on multiple scan tools primarily because of a lack of coverage.
          Yes, the resulting scan tool would be expensive, but I think people would buy it as an alternative to buying multiple other scanners because they are already spending that extra money anyway.
          You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• crackerclicker
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Wheel
            I just wish a scan tool maker would realize that high dollar is being spent on multiple scan tools primarily because of a lack of coverage.
            Yes, the resulting scan tool would be expensive, but I think people would buy it as an alternative to buying multiple other scanners because they are already spending that extra money anyway.

i don't know about that. i still hear people complain about the cost of autologic

(not exactly apples to apples, but i couldn't resist)

Comment

• Wheel
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by crackerclicker
              i don't know about that. i still hear people complain about the cost of autologic

(not exactly apples to apples, but i couldn't resist)
              The simple fact is everyone wants something cheap or better yet for nothing, so people will always complain about the cost of anything, but if they want it or need it bad enough, they will still buy it especially if they see value in it.

I'm a cheapskate too, and I have to remind myself constantly that I may again need the goods or services the other guy offers so I need to make sure he's around in the future to serve my needs by doing my part in helping him make a living just as my customers do for me.

I don't know how many share my preferences, but I'd rather have and
              maintain one scan tool in preference to buying and updating multiple scan tools of lesser capability. Whether you buy one super scan tool
              that almost does it all or several scan tools of lesser capability that equal the coverage of the better tool, you are spending "X" amount of money for coverage and capability one way or another. Fewer more capable scan tools take up less real estate in my box, and would be less hassle to maintain.

Comment

• sandt38
                • May 2012

Originally posted by Wheel
                I don't know how many share my preferences, but I'd rather have and
                maintain one scan tool in preference to buying and updating multiple scan tools of lesser capability. Whether you buy one super scan tool
                that almost does it all or several scan tools of lesser capability that equal the coverage of the better tool, you are spending "X" amount of money for coverage and capability one way or another. Fewer more capable scan tools take up less real estate in my box, and would be less hassle to maintain.

I have yet to find one be-all-end-all scanner. I have been through several aftermarket tools, and have always needed a gap filler. Slowly but surely I am developing my factory tools, and the gaps left by aftermarket scanners, no matter how solid, are even more glaringly obvious. Sadly, I am having to upgrade my diagnostic storage unit as my current unit is slam full. Thankfully Snappy has roll cabinets for 15% off this month!

I look at it like this; I don't need to update/maintain all scanners at once. Cycling updates every few years is plenty, as we (assuming aftermarket shops not dealerships) see cars typically after their warranty periods. I don't need to update everything all at once, I have 3 to 4 years before I see most cars.

Comment

• Wheel
                  • Jul 2007

I have yet to find one be-all-end-all scanner. I have been through several aftermarket tools, and have always needed a gap filler. Slowly but surely I am developing my factory tools, and the gaps left by aftermarket scanners, no matter how solid, are even more glaringly obvious. Sadly, I am having to upgrade my diagnostic storage unit as my current unit is slam full. Thankfully Snappy has roll cabinets for 15% off this month!

There is no be all end all scanner as you say, and there may never be,
                  but I think a scanner that is real close would be possible if someone would commit the resources and try - it would cost more, but it would be worth it.

I look at it like this; I don't need to update/maintain all scanners at once. Cycling updates every few years is plenty, as we (assuming aftermarket shops not dealerships) see cars typically after their warranty periods. I don't need to update everything all at once, I have 3 to 4 years before I see most cars.

Many, including me are in the same boat as you are here. We need OEM level coverage, but not necessarily the very latest, and for financial reasons, we would like to be able to skip updates on our OEM tooling, taking turns updating them.
                  This was once possible with past OEM scanners before the software timeout craze that has come over the OEMs, which should be illegal.
                  Until someone with the resources challenges this and wins, we have a problem, a problem which could be very much eased by far superior coverage in aftermarket tools.
                  I'm trying to get Snap on to see an unfulfilled need here, an opportunity they are missing, and your post illustrates it well.

Comment

• reagd
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                    Crusty,

Are you still at it?

I forgot what my thread was about!

Oh yeah, the OTC scanner. Seems like I'm getting screwed around by NTX tools right now. I ordered the kit with the TPMS tool. It seems they hadn't processed my order, a week after I ordered it.

Something about the holiday BS. Also, something about wanting to check my AMEX card? They promised it to me next day as it was in the auto parts warehouse. He was going to rush the order. They haven't even run my card yet...

I told him they should just run the d@mn card and be done with it. They seemed to have lost track of my order. Now, I am hearing of complaints on that site.

Grrrrr

Bob
                    My OT scanner just become faulty the next day. About to order today before starting my summer project.

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Zombie Thread walks again

Resurrecting a Zombie Thread over 2 years old, Hillarious
                      Last edited by Witsend; 03-09-2015, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• Solees
                        • Oct 2014

I found it interesting how a couple of guys spent their Christmas day.

Comment

• Crusty
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                          Resurrecting a Zombie Thread over 2 years old, Hillarious.
                          Nothing wrong with it.
                          Simply proves that the issues STILL HAVE NOT BEEN CORRECTED.

There is simply no reason for screen shots to be 751-kb-!!!
                          WASTEFULL and yes it does take longer for any electronic machine (ANY electronic machine) to save a file that is 751-kb compared to 75-kb.

It also takes the Solus-Ultra longer to save the screen shot than it takes the Solus-Pro to save a screen shot. MORE wasted time.
                          Yes, it is only 5 or 6 seconds compared to 1 or 2 seconds but take 10 screen shots and 4 or 5 movies over a 10 or 20 minute diagnosis. Then try to save the data you have collected.

Now the seconds become minutes and the minutes become hours-!!

Same thing with the wasted space on computers. 751-kb isn`t huge compared to gigabytes but they add up too-!!

Which tool is a useful tool is what this is all about-!!

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the tools.

Eventually one will need 17 laptops and 17 subscriptions just to get to the missing pids, and also have enough space to save your data. I go back to data that was saved years ago. Data saved from and with scan tools on computers but also data saved in the experience of decades of auto repair. (and I`m still learning, every day)

You`re a self proclaimed bottom-feeder.... (VBG) ... add up that cost (more scan tools and subscriptions). Add up all the other costs of supplementing your capabilities with another scan tool, and another scan tool, and another, and so on.
                          Some people could retire on what they have doled out for scan tools over the years.

Is there a perfect scan tool.... of course not-!!

[U]BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT ISN`T A DESIREABLE GOAL-!!![/U]

As Modis-500 says... if you aim for nothing you`ll hit it every time-LMAO

Of all the companies making scan tools, Snap-On makes pretty good ones but they can be better. They can improve. They can improve faster than they have been. They could listen to their users more. People who CARE about their PROFESSION. Every bit a profession just like doctors, lawyers and accountants-!!!!

As for spending time on a particular day of the year, why not on a day when they have a few minutes.

WHEEL has made a LOT of very good points. So have the other members here.

And YES Bob (LMAO--VBG) I AM STILL AT IT-!!!!!

It ONLY took FIVE YEARS to get a pid that was MISSING in a lot of vehicles inserted and then to get that pid to display in the values that the service manuals specified that we use (so we wouldn`t have to carry a conversion chart and a calculator with us to the vehicle-!!! LMFAO-!!!)

Coverage and accuracy. Bi-directional controls. Calibrating a vehicle to accept a new component. Tools that do what they`re supposed to do. Tools that will do what the marketing department SAYS they will do.

SOME people at Snap-On CARE. SOME people purchasing scan tools and working in the profession CARE.

Some don`t give a rats pitoot because they still get their million dollar cheques and bonus`.

Comment

Working...