X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Cadillacs are no luxury to work on

2000 Eldorado ETS P0300 code, engine cylinder miss evident, with hi misfire counts on #5.
    Checked compression 170 ok, Changed plug, still miss on 5, coil boot looks ok. Temporarily swapped left and right Coil packs side to side , scanner showing still has miss counts on #5.
    Looked at fuel trims seem ok , but decide to smoke intake to see if something shows around #5 runner area, no smoke leak except by the air cleaner box to MAF sensor boot.
    Ohmed out #5 injector and listened with stethoscope, resistance and mechanical clicking sound same as rest.
    Cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor and reseat rubber boot for air cleaner box to MAF properly. Drove car and it runs better , but still feel a little roughness so I put in a couple bottles of Techron.
    Now I need to charge the AC with some dye and R134 but message center says low refridgerant , AC off. I put some of the small can dye charge in but can't get the AC clutch to engage though low side psi is way above 45 and it should engage. I disconnect the dye can and got green jizz dripping on the pearl white bumper.
    No HVAC codes to clear with the Maxi, but I try a code clear anyhow but Low refrigerant charge , AC Off message still displays.
    I disconnect the battery for a couple minutes and touch cable ends together, hook the battery up and the message is gone. I charge up 2 cans of R134 and AC works good.
    I decide to raise up the car and change the fuel filter and check the AC compressor for evidence of dye.No dye showing on compressor yet.
    GM Fuel filter on 14 year old midwest car I should never have touched. Corroded fitting and corroded brake and fuel outlet lines all bundled together with the fuel filter. Now I'm changing brake and fuel line .
    Never thought of checking the fuel injector pattern for #5 injector , but it's getting a new one after I fix the fuel and brake lines
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Ha Ha...LOL
    Sounds like a "day in the life" for just about ANY vehicle up here. Want a "challenge"-?? Deal with the same stuff every day on anything, North American, Asian, European, up here in the Great White North-!! LOL

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

on a different day I would have done things differently

after just taking only the plastic supply side line off the back end of the fuel filter, I could have just back flushed the old fuel filter from the fuel rail with compressed air at the the same time I was changing # 5 fuel injector and called it a day, instead I said I feel lucky and thought it would be an easy $40 bucks but maybe just maybe I truly was lucky and all that gas that would have jettisoned the filter would have caught my garage on fire and torched my ***, and then I'ld be standing before my maker, who would have to tell me You Ain't Seen Nothing yet.

Comment

• chaskuss
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Witsend
        2000 Eldorado ETS P0300 code, engine cylinder miss evident, with hi misfire counts on #5.
        Checked compression 170 ok, Changed plug, still miss on 5, coil boot looks ok. Temporarily swapped left and right Coil packs side to side , scanner showing still has miss counts on #5.
        Looked at fuel trims seem ok , but decide to smoke intake to see if something shows around #5 runner area, no smoke leak except by the air cleaner box to MAF sensor boot.
        Ohmed out #5 injector and listened with stethoscope, resistance and mechanical clicking sound same as rest.
        Cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor and reseat rubber boot for air cleaner box to MAF properly. Drove car and it runs better , but still feel a little roughness so I put in a couple bottles of Techron.
        Now I need to charge the AC with some dye and R134 but message center says low refridgerant , AC off. I put some of the small can dye charge in but can't get the AC clutch to engage though low side psi is way above 45 and it should engage. I disconnect the dye can and got green jizz dripping on the pearl white bumper.
        No HVAC codes to clear with the Maxi, but I try a code clear anyhow but Low refrigerant charge , AC Off message still displays.
        I disconnect the battery for a couple minutes and touch cable ends together, hook the battery up and the message is gone. I charge up 2 cans of R134 and AC works good.
        I decide to raise up the car and change the fuel filter and check the AC compressor for evidence of dye.No dye showing on compressor yet.
        GM Fuel filter on 14 year old midwest car I should never have touched. Corroded fitting and corroded brake and fuel outlet lines all bundled together with the fuel filter. Now I'm changing brake and fuel line .
        Never thought of checking the fuel injector pattern for #5 injector , but it's getting a new one after I fix the fuel and brake lines
        You're preaching to the choir! I'm with you, brother. :-) We need to convince them all to buy Buicks!

Comment

• efreezee
          • Dec 2014

Mitsubishi was always the car i hate working on the most
          Erick
          http://www.automotivediagnosticspecialties.com/

Comment

• chaskuss
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by efreezee
            Mitsubishi was always the car i hate working on the most
            My buddies at the local Mitsu dealership refer to them as "Japanese Jaguars".

Comment

• Modis500
              • Sep 2012

Does the 2000 MY Northstars have wires or the coil cassettes? It is quite important to properly route the rear wires on this engine as they will cause misfires if not done properly. Personal experience on this one, with the advice from Identifix. Found it to eliminate the issue I had, similar to yours. Maybe get a quality plug wire set, and if you're familiar with building bridges with zip ties it will help. If anyone wants to know the proper way to build plug wire bridges, just ask and I'll post some photos. We used to build the plug wire looms in the Busch car like this when the teams couldn't afford the MSD plastic separators.
              Merry Christmas from Race City USA
              "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
              Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Does the 2000 MY Northstars have wires or the coil cassettes?
                Sorry , for late response.
                This model had the coil cassettes assemblies. I was told from a friend who works for Caddilac, that even though the coil cassettes have different part numbers for left and right sides and the the color plastic of the housings are different colors they can be swapped from one side to the other for testing purposes. I didn't want to chance anything , so i just laid casette on it's side with old plugs gapped wide and a piece of conduit against plugs with a jumper wire to ground. I'm considering making 8 short secondary ignition cable jumpers and 8 sets of primary wiring extensions if I need some excess harness slack so that I can plug boots to jumpers onto COP holes and into the removed coils or cassettes so I can use my COP sticks or flags across the jumper cables to pick up better quality secondary patterns with my Counselor , and checking for boot arcing etc with boots out where I can watch what's happening.

You're preaching to the choir! I'm with you, brother. :-) We need to convince them all to buy Buicks!
                In China , I think Buick name rates at the Top of the Heap in prestige among all the Heaps that GM makes there, LOL

referring to a least favorite brand to work on
                I think there was some cross insemination with Chrysler too , and that's why I think they named the Mitsu versions of the DRB Scanners MUTT? LOL
                Last edited by Witsend; 01-05-2015, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• efreezee
                  • Dec 2014

Originally posted by chaskuss
                  It was one of the first cars I ever had the "pleasure" of working and by pleasure I mean "nightmare" lol
                  Erick
                  http://www.automotivediagnosticspecialties.com/

Comment

Working...