Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SPS10.4
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Crusty

I just searched the Nissan Consult and the Toyota Techstream...
    Thanks Crusty, I should have been more specific. The Consult II was the Nissan factory tool prior to the Consult III/Consult III Plus.
    The II was made by Vetronix and was a handheld scan tool with flash cards, not PC based.
    I was basing my reply on Rick enjoying the upgraded iATN membership which would include a search of the archives.

Comment

• rchalmers3
      • Jan 2015

No iATN for you!

My ASE Master Certification and LS1 certification expired way back in 2005, and since I am not currently engaged in automotive repair in a shop environment, iATN has chosen to block me from participating, as per their rules.

I suppose that if I pay for an upgrade that I'd be admitted, but then I have to consider the monthly and annual cost of the access, and compare that to the benefit to myself and my customers. It's difficult to assess the cost/benefit, given that I'm on the outside looking in, so I'll pass on iATN for the moment.

It's too bad, because having access to archived info is exactly what I need, given that I'm all alone here in the jungle and have not been in the field for the past two decades.

My current solution is to obtain the 14.2 or 14.4 SnapOn software with Fast Track in the Solus Ultra. I expect that will benefit me the most in my mainstream work. As I mentioned in a previous post, I'll embark on the study of waveform analysis as a separate study, probably with the Fluke 98II as my platform.

Rick

Comment

• chaskuss
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Witsend
        I noticed rchalmers resides in the Island nation of Costa Rica I don't know what world market most of the older Nissans and Toyota he sees were built for , whether or not it would be a potpourri of European, South American, Asia, or whatever, but I'm thinking he is pretty much F'd if he bought a US market only Snap on scan tool. I'm thinking if it wasn't for Cat 4 hurricanes there washing old cars out to sea every 10 years or so, most of the cars there would still be antiques with breaker point ignition. I figure mopeds and scooter repair would be a more lucrative sort of business in Costa Rica.
        If he really wants an aftermarket scanner that covers various world market cars newer than 2000 models pretty well with an actual menu to choose which major market,right or left side steering etc, then maybe Autel scanner would be a better alternative then a Solus Ultra in an Island nation's assortment of funky 3 wheeled cars , like the UK has, LOL. snipped
        Witsend, You must have been reading HOTROD magazine during geography classes in school, instead of paying attention. First off, Costa Rica is NOT an island nation in the Caribbean. It's in Central America. I've been there over a dozen times and have friends who live there. Due to a severe trade imbalance with the USA [they import way more from us, than they send to us] They have placed a huge tariff on made in USA cars. They have also stopped allowing pre 2000 cars to be imported into the country, due to emissions concerns. Costa Rica is very forward thinking about pollution of all types. Most of the cars there are from Japan and use the same pollution controls as are found on USA models.
        San Jose is a city of 4 million people. It has the traffic jams to prove it, too! Traffic issues aside, it's a great country. Mechanics working there have a tough time, as most parts need to be imported and are expensive.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

No iATN for you!
          My ASE Master Certification and LS1 certification expired way back in 2005, and since I am not currently engaged in automotive repair in a shop environment, iATN has chosen to block me from participating, as per their rules.
          I would try to at least get re certified in a couple areas again. Work a few days a week at an established shop doing Consulting work for a busy shop when their production (aka parts changers) can't fix a sandwich.
          Join IATN using their shop contact information, after you are a contributing member and have established your own shop name and mailing address
          I'm sure you can find auto repair software for older cars at least through 2005 model years on DVDs if you don't have internet where you work from.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Witsend, You must have been reading HOTROD magazine during geography classes in school, instead of paying attention. First off, Costa Rica is NOT an island nation in the Caribbean. It's in Central America.
            No , I was Little Johnny dropping his pencil all the time

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

My current solution is to obtain the 14.2 or 14.4 SnapOn software with Fast Track in the Solus Ultra. I expect that will benefit me the most in my mainstream work. As I mentioned in a previous post, I'll embark on the study of waveform analysis as a separate study, probably with the Fluke 98II as my platform.
              I think the Troubleshooter on a Solus Ultra be your only hope if you don't have ready access to auto repair software. Being a bottom feeder, and a Lone Wolf tech that's not the best Team Player and of limited resources working on POS older cars , I would try to access older DVDs or an external hard drive with auto repair info on it , and pick up a used DS 708 real cheap in the $500- $600 range,or even brand new one for only about a $1000 from Harbor freight Tools. Guys that upgraded to the newer platforms are unloading their DS 708s left and right real cheap now , that have opted to upgrade versus paying another $700 to update the older platform.
              I think You Tube is a great source for information these days for insight to some repair jobs you likely encounter in the real world if you have high speed internet.

Last edited by Witsend; 01-05-2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• hefaus
                • Dec 2007

Unloading DS 708 left and right

Originally posted by Witsend
                I think the Troubleshooter on a Solus Ultra be your only hope if you don't have ready access to auto repair software. Being a bottom feeder, and a Lone Wolf tech that's not the best Team Player and of limited resources working on POS older cars , I would try to access older DVDs or an external hard drive with auto repair info on it , and pick up a used DS 708 real cheap in the $500- $600 range,or even brand new one for only about a $1000 from Harbor freight Tools. Guys like Hefaus are unloading DS 708s left and right real cheap now and opting to upgrade to the newer platform versus paying another $700 to update them.
                I think You Tube is a great source for information these days for insight to some repair jobs you likely encounter in the real world if you have high speed internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N0r9bCc9yQ
                I don't know where you get your information from but its wrong. I do not unload ds 708's left and right. I had owned one and sold it after I recieved my MS 908 and the ds 708 was still under warranty. Have no idea how that fits into your blurb. So please remove your inaccurate blurb with removing hefaus. Enjoy your day but at least get your s**t right.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

So please remove your inaccurate blurb with removing h-----. Enjoy your day but at least get your s**t right.
                  Sorry ,I have edited your name from my post. You might want to edit and unquote my inaccurate blurb though . No insinuation was meant that you have sold more than the single DS 708 you originally owned. I just meant that a lot of folk like yourself , who have upgraded to 908 or are already considering to upgrade to the 908 (or a Solus Ultra or Solus Edge because they miss the trouble shooter) rather than update their 708s. A lot seem to be available now as used in the $500- $600 range because you could just go buy a new one for about a $1000 at HF.
                  ( Not sure if the HF DS708s comes with any updates at all, or whether a one time update, or a full year of updates), I don't care, all I know is I'm not updating mine and will likely upgrade to something better down the road when my finances and funds permit me to do so.
                  Last edited by Witsend; 01-05-2015, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...