• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Just Went Off My Rocker From Old Rusty Furd

What Rocker ?
    95 Explorer looks more like a Rust Ranger now.
    This 95 Explorer has the old OBD1 EEC4 connector under hood, but has 16pin connector under dash for Body,4x4 , ABS, Air Bag accessed using OBD2 connector and K2A key. Had some frozen condensate in the DPFE sensor cause a CEL concern where light turned off after warming up. I didn't pursue it.
    only happens once in a while during sub freezing temps.
    When in auto 4x4 mode it seems in a manual mode and sometimes indicator light be flashing. one of the codes pulled was for the transfer case rear shaft speed sensor (Motor craft SW5645) which lists for over $90 and no aftermarket cheaper version available I know of. $90 is a good month of my beer budget, so I gave it the Ole College try and reinsulated the shorting bare wires with shrink tubing but unfortunately the rear shaft speed still read 0 mph. Maybe another day , maybe in my next life .
    Attached Files
  • chaskuss
    • Dec 2009

If $90 is to rich for your blood, head to the local junkyard. Be sure to bring a multimeter, the appropriate wrench to remove the sensor's retaining bolt and a screwdriver [size and tip not important]. After removing the donor sensor, hook up the multimeter to the leads. Set to lowest DC voltage scale [2 volts maybe] Take the screwdriver and run it quickly across the face of the sensor. If the sensor is good, you should momentarily see a voltage output of 2 to 3 thousandths or hundredths of a volt. If you see that, you are done. Go and pay for your new part. No output? You need to go find another sensor.
    I find this to be a much better test, as opposed to the factory ohm test. You need to protect the monthly beer budget!

Comment

Working...