X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maven
    • Mar 2014

what.

Im confused

I had a long weekend camping but something seems weird here.

I love this place. Laughter makes the day go by. Laugh so I dont cry.
    Last edited by maven; 05-12-2015, 05:56 AM.
  • dodge90
    • Oct 2014

****, couldnt open it but sure it was something stupid, seen alot of that over there.
    I've tried and tried, but can't seem to fix stupid!

Comment

• maven
      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by dodge90
      ****, couldnt open it but sure it was something stupid, seen alot of that over there.
      I guess the links are related to the user...oh well.

Guy has an issue, cant find ifno related to codes,has no idea where to start or even what the codes reference, believes they may be wrong for vehicle. other techs offer suggestions related to premise of codes being in error. I provide confirmation of codes belonging to vehicle, basic description of system involved, related schematics and connector views, and tests to perform.

First inspection I recommended ended up being issue. Best answer goes to tech who suggested checking for more codes. Its a good thing Im okay crying myself to sleep, because my ego stroking is on a steady decline lately. LMAO.

Comment

• Tech_A
        • Jul 2014

oops?

I found the post, it may have been a mistake on the question poster's end.

You did give a perfectly good explanation and resources.

Comment

• dodge90
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Tech_A
          I found the post, it may have been a mistake on the question poster's end.

You did give a perfectly good explanation and resources.
          Maven is good at giving the right info, one person I learded to trust.
          The problem I have with sure track is "tecks" at least some that call them selfs that. think its a go to siver bullet on what will fix the car/problem. I have seen many posts with little to no info looking for answers. And In my experince I have put a few questions on and the responses I got back was already what I did to the car or didnt even pertain to the problem. One of the few good answers was one Maven helped me with and was something I was not aware of. Sure track should be more helpfull but needs alot of work, just my opinion. That stupid points system is the reason for most of the stupid answers. "DID you check the fuse?" for a no start? Got a piont for that one LOL
          I've tried and tried, but can't seem to fix stupid!

Comment

• Nick_Taylor
            Administrator
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by dodge90
            Maven is good at giving the right info, one person I learded to trust.
            The problem I have with sure track is "tecks" at least some that call them selfs that. think its a go to siver bullet on what will fix the car/problem. I have seen many posts with little to no info looking for answers. And In my experince I have put a few questions on and the responses I got back was already what I did to the car or didnt even pertain to the problem. One of the few good answers was one Maven helped me with and was something I was not aware of. Sure track should be more helpfull but needs alot of work, just my opinion. That stupid points system is the reason for most of the stupid answers. "DID you check the fuse?" for a no start? Got a piont for that one LOL
            I really don't think people are trying to game the system for points. Keep in mind that SureTrack may be the first and only online community type system that many of these techs have used. We have to guide them into asking better questions with more details.

There will always be techs out there who are just looking for the quick answer. How many do you know that get a code and go by the description as a guide for swapping parts? I know it can be frustrating when everybody isn't up to the same level as you are but it's not unique to SureTrack or any similar system.
            SureTrack Community Administrator, Diagnostics forum Administrator.

Comment

• Scott 79
              • Mar 2014

When I post a question, it should be filled with enough info and the testing I have thoroughly already done. I also see the generic answers and I have given some generic answers not knowing the capabilities of the poster. I really don't know how we will stop the "have you rotated the tires" in response to a crank/no start issue. I have also had trouble picking a "best" answer due to the fact that a combination of replies have led me to the issue. As you can tell, I have backed out replying somewhat.. just not enough info from the OP to even attempt a reply. I do however give at least a "good" answer to anyone that took the time out of their day to reply, even though it may be totally off base. One last point, I use this as a second opinion, so to speak. I have been at this so long that I don't like to ask for help but hell, if you have seen the issue that I am dealing with and perhaps save me bay time, then I am very appreciative. Maven, I notice I don't see you much either, but then that might be because I am not there as much. This is my "go to" site for posting and answering questions.

Comment

• MasterWrench
                • Oct 2006

Losing sleep over bestcand good answers is not a good idea. I have been +1'd and had posters of questions given best or good answers. Bottom line the info is there for another user that might use the search for an issue before posting a question. Don't sweat the little things.
                MasterWrench

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Fundamental proper diagnosis and system testing from square one needs to be encouraged.
                  This should be drilled into people but unfortunately it isn't pounded in hard enough.

Sorry for the pic size (I wish the site would standardize a more compatible automatically)

AFAIC this warning caution should be bolder and underlined.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Tech_A
                    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Crusty
                    Fundamental proper diagnosis and system testing from square one needs to be encouraged.
                    This should be drilled into people but unfortunately it isn't pounded in hard enough.

Sorry for the pic size (I wish the site would standardize a more compatible automatically)

Duly noted Crusty

Comment

• Tech_A
                      • Jul 2014

also how did you get to this screen?

Comment

• Crusty
                        • Dec 2007

LOL.... It popped up when I was working on the VW I have here right now.
                        it popped up on it's own when I queried the ECM for codes.
                        It's a good screen to pop up and should be in the scanner under ALL makes when you check for codes.
                        On the other hand, there was another screen in the VW that prompted me to turn the key on.....two screens after it made me turn the key on the first time...LMAO

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                          • Feb 2012

I absolutely HATE seeing this stupid warning every time I read faults on my scan tool. I am a professional and know much better than to behave in this manner. Is this new warning indicative of Snap-on acknowledging their tool is now nothing more than a hobbyist do-it-yourselfer tool, and thus the shade tree mechanic warnings?
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Crusty
                            • Dec 2007

OK BMW JEDI, I hear ya, BUT....

How many times do we as professionals see and hear of literally THOUSANDS of other so called professionals doing exactly that-?? Replacing parts because of the code-!!!!!!!
                            Hey, it's got an oxygen sensor code, let's throw an oxygen sensor in.
                            Hey it's got a TPS code, let's throw a TPS in.

All over the place there are companies encouraging "dongles" (for a small nominal fee of course) to download the OBD code and shops are supposed to "bid" on the repair-!!
                            IT'S HAPPENING-!! AND IT SHOULDN'T BE-!!!

Take a look at the Sure-Track help requests..... "I've replaced this part, I've replaced that part, I've replaced another part, and the car still isn't fixed, it still sets a code....."

The scan tools already have a whole lot of wasted button pushes, I agree, but THIS notification should be much larger, in bold type, with flashing neon lights, along with star bursts, and horns blaring-!!!

Maven started this thread on an example of W.T.F.
                            Perhaps because people forget, or never learned, the proper way to check, test, diagnose, an issue that the vehicle has, or that the vehicle "thinks" it has.

Comment

• Tech_A
                              • Jul 2014

LOL.... It popped up when I was working on the VW I have here right now.
                              it popped up on it's own when I queried the ECM for codes.
                              It's a good screen to pop up and should be in the scanner under ALL makes when you check for codes.
                              On the other hand, there was another screen in the VW that prompted me to turn the key on.....two screens after it made me turn the key on the first time...LMAO
                              thanks, I couldnt remember if this was an OEM communications warning or part of the diagnostic tool's software warning.

I know some European vehicles use the phrase "interrogating" the vehicle etc...

Comment

Working...