Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

Mechanical condiments

Pick your flavor. I wanted to know what brand of cleaners, lubricants, additives, and everyday chemicals you guys choose to use. Here's what and how I use:
    WD40- light lubricant for hose clamps, door latches, etc. clean tools
    CRC non-chlorinated brake clean- parts cleaner
    any brand starting fluid- parts/tool cleaner
    Sea Foam Deep Creep- penetrating oil
    Permatex Nickel antisieze- any fasteners that are exposed to water get painted in this stuff before reassembly
    Asemblee Goo- trans/transfer case assembly grease, dissolves when exposed to ATF
    Loctite stick medium (blue)- this is a semi-solid tube of loctite that is easy to apply to fasteners, I use this when reassembling any brake components
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Silicone Dielectric tuneup grease in a 3oz squeeze tubes (about same size as the Ultra Black RTV) Use on gimp pads of backing plates, and adjuster wheels instead of lubriplate, but mostly for Midwest salt belt brake caliper brackets and slider pins that always seem to require removal of rust buildup under the bracket shims with a good square file to shiny metal.(Very Time Consuming but key to a quality job) I skim coat dielectric grease to the brackets before installing the new shims to retard rust formation longer, and liberally coat the slider pins. Might use the moly grease packet provided with pads for the pad side of the bracket shims.
    Have a container of petroleum Jelly , EP Moly wheel bearing grease)container of 3m Adhesive cleaner (works great to clean grease marks off cloth upholstery , but I avoid using that on leather) WD40 or maybe silicone spray on a cloth (sparingly) worked on leather for spots when I needed it.
    Definately need silicone spray or sil-glide for window runs, and also use silicone spray and usually wipe down the cables to remove road salt dirt and grime off , coils , spark plug cables and boots to lessen chance of carbon tracking establishing itself
    Spray white grease for latches, and hinges

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

PB Blaster penetrant and pretty much what ever Car Quest sends me or what's on sale for anything else, mostly Permatex stuff. If you have a squeaky belt ? A dab of dielectric grease can keep it quiet for several weeks.

Comment

• Matt
        • Dec 2008

Anybody use Kroil brand? I have read positive things about it but never tried it.

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

I've heard of Kroil but never tried it so I just ordered a can. It's expensive compared to the others. It's not widely available in parts stores so either it's junk or the company has a poor marketing strategy. I have lots of rust to try it on so we'll see. I've found that most penetrants work better if sprayed on the day before and maybe even several applications before attempting to loosen. for instant results it's hard to beat the hot wrench. If the Kroil can help with stuck threaded fuel filters I'll keep it on hand.

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
            I've heard of Kroil but never tried it so I just ordered a can. It's expensive compared to the others. It's not widely available in parts stores so either it's junk or the company has a poor marketing strategy. I have lots of rust to try it on so we'll see. I've found that most penetrants work better if sprayed on the day before and maybe even several applications before attempting to loosen. for instant results it's hard to beat the hot wrench. If the Kroil can help with stuck threaded fuel filters I'll keep it on hand.
            On the threaded fuel filters, try giving one or two of the flats a short quick "burp" with a flat hammer head on the zip gun. Fractures the rust, then the penetrant has somewhere to wick into.

Comment

• Matt
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by greasybob
              I also ordered a can direct from Kano Labs website. The logo and can art looks like it got stuck in the 50s. You may be correct on your "poor marketing strategy" statement. I'll see how it works and report back.

Comment

• Wheel
                • Jul 2007

Kroil usually caters to the industrial market - unfortunately. I feel it is head and shoulders above anything else out there penetrant-wise. In some of his writings,
                Smokey Yunick had high praise for it. By no means a magic formula - just the best in its class I believe.
                You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Kroil is probably some Industrial strength stuff you wouldn't want to accidentally get on your face.It might penetrate your soul. Think of it as Krueger oil. Some bad @ss sh@t that might cut the labor time, but God help you if you spray your face accidentally.Probably too risky liability wise now adays to sell Military spec / Industrial strength chemicals over the counter to your average Autozoner or Firestoner. BTW , who the heck is Smokey Yunick ? Hmmm ?Guess you got to be real careful none drips on your pants either.

Last edited by Witsend; 05-25-2017, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• STURNER
                    • Oct 2014

If you dont know who Smokey Yunick is you are missing out!!!! He published a few books about his life before he died. He was a mechanical genius and had a real good time.

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

If you dont know who Smokey Yunick is you are missing out!!!! He published a few books about his life before he died. He was a mechanical genius and had a real good time.
                      The name sounded real familiar and I googled it to find he was well known in Racing from the late fifties to the seventies. I was just joking about some unfortunate guy becoming a "Smokey Eunich" in the event he got some Industrial Penetrant on his pants.

Comment

• STURNER
                        • Oct 2014

The books are hilarious. Best Damn Garage In Town, All Right You Sons A Bitches Lets Have A Race, and a few others. Stories of how he flew cargo planes in the war and came home with about 50k in a coffee can. The 7/8 camaro. Things he invented. I think I'm gonna read them all over again.

Comment

• Wheel
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by STURNER
                          The books are hilarious. Best Damn Garage In Town, All Right You Sons A Bitches Lets Have A Race, and a few others. Stories of how he flew cargo planes in the war and came home with about 50k in a coffee can. The 7/8 camaro. Things he invented. I think I'm gonna read them all over again.
                          I would have gladly worked in his shop for free just to learn something from him.
                          You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                            • Jan 2015

Smokey Yunick

Originally posted by Witsend
                            Kroil is probably some Industrial strength stuff you wouldn't want to accidentally get on your face.It might penetrate your soul. Think of it as Krueger oil. Some bad @ss sh@t that might cut the labor time, but God help you if you spray your face accidentally.Probably too risky liability wise now adays to sell Military spec / Industrial strength chemicals over the counter to your average Autozoner or Firestoner. BTW , who the heck is Smokey Yunick ? Hmmm ?Guess you got to be real careful none drips on your pants either.

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...B9_9E7urSvxLM:
                            You ain't heard of Smokey Yunick ?

Oh no, one of " the " best of all time, along with Zora Arkus-Duntov 😇😎

Comment

• JamesO
                              • Dec 2014

For stubborn cooling system O-ring and other tough fitting parts that cannot be "lubed" with antifreeze, I turn to my party pack size of KY Jelly in the tool box. Water based lube that gathers some strange views from people nosing around in my work area!

Comment

Working...