X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Freeing up a stuck a cam shaft actuator

Had a 2012 VW GTI 2.0T brought to me today that was a hard start and barely could idle > Check engine light with miss fire, cam position , and idle control related codes. With Scan tool I erased the codes and went to active tests and KOEO I actuated the cam shaft actuator multiple times, exited and started up vehicle and it idled smooth, changed the oil and filter. Easy fix, hope it don't come back very soon.
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Unless the low level was low, incorrect oil or broken down oil in the engine it will be back. Also if it has more then 40K on it be ready for massive carbon build up on the intake valves. Time for you to invest in a walnut blaster!

Steve

Comment

• BMW JEDI
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Witsend
      Had a 2012 VW GTI 2.0T brought to me today that was a hard start and barely could idle > Check engine light with miss fire, cam position , and idle control related codes. With Scan tool I erased the codes and went to active tests and KOEO I actuated the cam shaft actuator multiple times, exited and started up vehicle and it idled smooth, changed the oil and filter. Easy fix, hope it don't come back very soon.
      What part was the 'Fix'?

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Unless the low level was low, incorrect oil or broken down oil in the engine it will be back. Also if it has more then 40K on it be ready for massive carbon build up on the intake valves. Time for you to invest in a walnut blaster!
        He was at the dealer about 3 thousand miles out of his warranty, so they told him he was SOL and have to pay tear down time. VW mechanic wrote down and suggested the Cambridge Screen. I told my customer I'm too old an stupid and was lucky I got accepted into local Junior College Auto program.

What part was the 'Fix'?
        must have dislodged particle of debris that was hanging up the cam shaft actuator by exercising it with the Bi directional activation test available for it on my scan tool. Then after I started car it returned to proper position and ran smooth. Oil and filter definitely got changed with Castrol Edge and a genuine VW oil filter , which actually was cheaper than auto parts store brands.
        Last edited by Witsend; 11-28-2017, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...