X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Rooting Android Tablets

i don't plan to update Chinesium, just upgrade to something newer in a couple years. I saw a you tube vid from way back in 2014 when these were still hot and new where someone successfully Rooted the tablet and was able to install google play and other apps on it with no problems opening and running the Diagnostic software afterwards . I kinda want to root mine to get Google Play , but more or less just to be able to want to open and install a downloaded version of an older version of Google Chrome compatible with old Android OS 4.0.4 which runs on the Tablet, so if I can actually have bookmarked sites on a familiar browser that doesn't automatically open to a Website full of Chinese Diagnostic tools, and if need be in the future have a Browser that can access Mitchel Pro demand off it. Plus if I run google chrome I might try to cast screen to TV with a Chromecast device in TV. Has anyone rooted these tablets with good success , failures? Not much out there to go on
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Well against my better judgement I had to go do some pay android root service online that needed full remote control over my PC with some rescue program to remote in like team viewer, loaded up programs with android exploits (one called Impactor, Norton didn't like ) and goes into the Android Tablet via USB cable. The first couple days the USB A male to USB A male cables I ran out and purchased, failed to connect devices, neither device saw one another, and also that failed next day, then I bought a Wormhole switch USB Transfer cable that the Android tablet saw as a USB storage device and the PC saw the cable as wormhole switch but not as my Android Scanner Tablet, so I safely ejected the Wormhole switch from the pc to return, and when I unplugged the other end of it from the Android Tablet Scanner that gave a warning about loosing data if SD card isn't safely unmounted first, WTF! I talk to my tech savvy nephew and he tells me USB A to USB A is not a commonly used cable except in instances some of a few developer applications. He sends me a picture of the side of my Android Tablet Scanner and sure enough, DOH!, there is small OTG access panel with a micro USB port for a cable and I have a few laying around still from old cellphones
    When I connect the micro SD cable to the PC, the PC sees the Android Tablet scanner. I contact the root service and they remote in and there is connection and antiVirus issues , and i tell the tech I'm not going to shut off the anti Virus on my PC and it was getting late and try again next day. Next day my Android Scanner App won't stay open for more than 30 seconds at a time and I ask the tech if he has Team Viewer to see the issue with my Android Scanner App closing out after the failed root attempt. All he does is manage to install a working Google chrome Browser , but the scanner App is broke and shuts to home page. I did a software recovery from backup on USB thumb drive, no change , I do a factory reset and another software recovery from backup on USB drive and App Still closes and the backup went into misc limbo and no data in the folder shells and Google Chrome is gone , waste another afternoon and get my $59.99 refunded to Paypal. So lesson learned, unless you want to run a risk of something going wrong and turning an expensive Android Scanner Tablet into just an Android tablet with a obsolete OS and Browser with a Homepage full of Chinesium Stuff, so don't mess with unless you know what you are doing or you'll need to buy a Total Care Update costing at least a $1000 instead of just replacing the Tablet Scanner after a few years.

Comment

• ronald316
      • Oct 2018

if you want to root anything the best place to go is xda professional they have all the stuff you need to root anything i have root 3 or 4 android phones .plus my samsung tablet

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

if you want to root anything the best place to go is xda professional they have all the stuff you need to root anything i have root 3 or 4 android phones .plus my samsung tablet
        Thanks, I think part of what went wrong going with oneclickroot place is that I should have had my Cyst connected from it's Micro USB port to my PC , instead of from the full size regular USB A port at the top of tablet. They tried connecting using several different programs without success, after couple days of trying with 2 different USB-A to USB-A cables I chased back and forth to Micro center. The 3rd USB A to USB A cable I tried was something called a Worm Hole Switch Data transfer cable. The PC saw the cable as Worm Hole Switch but not as a Maxi Cyst, and the Maxi Cyst saw the cable as a SD card.
        Called my Computer Wizz nephew, and he told me that USB A to USB A cables are typically not used except in some certain Developer applications, and sent me a picture of the side view of my of my Cyst with the Micro USB port. Connecting a USB A to Micro USB cable between the PC and the Maxi Cyst , the PC then saw the MaxiCyst tablet , but by that time the Tablet main Scanner App firmware must have Developed a Problem. Something deeper than just a backup install after a software recovery could resolve.
        So far been EECing by with generic OBD2 plus ABS scanner and on older pre 2005 stuff with good ole MT2500.
        I don't really want to buy a Total Care Update in order to resolve this because I don't need the latest car coverage, but if someone has MaxiCyst Pro APP Firmware you could share it would be awesome.

Comment

• Steve6911
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
          I don't really want to buy a Total Care Update in order to resolve this because I don't need the latest car coverage, but if someone has MaxiCyst Pro APP Firmware you could share it would be awesome.

I don't think you will be able to get this repaired without the total care package as they "may" have all the tools software synced with its serial number. You might not need the new car coverage now but what about 3-4 years from now. If you get the tool fixed it will still be useable at that time. Right now its just a dust collector.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

I don't think you will be able to get this repaired without the total care package as they "may" have all the tools software synced with its serial number. You might not need the new car coverage now but what about 3-4 years from now. If you get the tool fixed it will still be useable at that time. Right now its just a dust collector.
            Agreed , but the the Cyst Pro like the Mini is already discontinued from production and in a few years the Browser and 4.0.4 Android likely won't be compatible with more website security and the newer platform updates, so the quality and quantity of the future updates will likely suffer like the last Dumbed Downed updates for the Port Freight 08 were. Actually the Cyst tablet still booted up fine, and suspiciously all the other Apps, browser, and Quick Support (Team viewer) seemed to still be working just fine, when I handed it off to my Nephew to see if he could figure it out and resolve the issue. It might already be a dust collector with a fist indentation in the screen though. I put the whole thing with Elite Jbox on Craigslist for $900 but so far only offered $450 for the Jbox part Strange the other China tablet Scanner company new Lunch Box Pro scanners hardware wise, the processor , storage etc are still not as good as discontinued Autistic brand ones but do offer newer Android version 7 and Google play App and ability to install aftermarket apps on the Tablets, so no need to root anything with those.

Comment

Working...