Solus Pro using fault codes and live data!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Green
    • Oct 2009

Solus Pro using fault codes and live data!

I have a Combo Van which runs on multi fuels, i.e. petrol or LPG. The engine management warning lamp illuminated and I connected the Solus Pro to read the codes present. I got quite a few which are;

PO 400 - EGR valve
    PO420 - CAT Convertor system
    PO335 - Crank Position
    PO302 - Cylinder 2 misfire
    PO202 - Injector circuit 2 malfunction
    PO130 - Heated Oxygen sensor malfunction

Initially I noticed no problem with the running of the van, however I became inquisitive and decided to have a look under the bonnet, I found that the number 3 spark plug was loose when the engine was idling, so I asked myself why would the Solus tell me that number 2 cylinder is at fault!

So I removed the spark plugs and decided they required renewal, so I bought four brand new NGK plugs and installed them. After this the engine misfire was recognisable, the engine shakes and the engine misses as its accelerated, which it didn't before!

I checked the ignition system and found no problem. I checked live data with the Solus and found that when observing the Injector duration, that the reading only displays one reading which was 5.9ms. I asked myself surely this can't represent all four cylinders by showing me the average can it!

That would be 1.4ms per cylinder, which to me is too low as I am expecting around 2.5 - 3.0ms per cylinder!

Can anyone shed any light on what Snap On have done here with this software and reading as it appears I can't check individual injector durations which does not sound good!

David
  • Rich Barton
    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by David Green
    I have a Combo Van which runs on multi fuels, i.e. petrol or LPG. The engine management warning lamp illuminated and I connected the Solus Pro to read the codes present. I got quite a few which are;

PO 400 - EGR valve
    PO335 - Crank Position

Initially I noticed no problem with the running of the van, however I became inquisitive and decided to have a look under the bonnet, I found that the number 3 spark plug was loose when the engine was idling, so I asked myself why would the Solus tell me that number 2 cylinder is at fault!

So I removed the spark plugs and decided they required renewal, so I bought four brand new NGK plugs and installed them. After this the engine misfire was recognisable, the engine shakes and the engine misses as its accelerated, which it didn't before!

I checked the ignition system and found no problem. I checked live data with the Solus and found that when observing the Injector duration, that the reading only displays one reading which was 5.9ms. I asked myself surely this can't represent all four cylinders by showing me the average can it!

That would be 1.4ms per cylinder, which to me is too low as I am expecting around 2.5 - 3.0ms per cylinder!

Can anyone shed any light on what Snap On have done here with this software and reading as it appears I can't check individual injector durations which does not sound good!

David
    Hi David,

Do you have the

Year/Make/Motor?
    Rich Barton
    C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by David Green

PO 400 - EGR valve
      PO335 - Crank Position

David
      The fuel injector "on" time can be checked with a labscope. The value displayed is probably the average, since there's only one.
      The list of codes can be related to each other.
      Since you've started with clean plugs, it probably hasn't re-adjusted the memory to the different burn characteristics of the new plugs. The long-term memory can affect things as can the codes if they have or havn't been cleared.
      Good thing to RECORD and DOCUMENT the codes listed as it arrived.
      You had noticed the #3 plug loose. I know GM pairs cylinders 1 & 4 with a waste spark coil and then they pair cylinders 2 & 3 with a second waste spark coil. I've seen other manufacturers do the same.
      It's quite common for a problem with the opposite paired plug to show up as a code on the other paired plug.
      Check the plug wires and the coils. Check the waste spark coils, tower to tower for resistance both cold & hot and see if the 1/4 coil is different than the 2/3 coil (if this is a waste spark system with 2 coils on a 4-cylinder)
      Verify fuel pressure and flow, labscope the injectors for both amperage current ramp and voltages.
      Then I would suggest checking the EGR valve and the exhaust system for restriction. Is the EGR a diaphram or an electronic digital EGR?
      As suggested year/make/model/engine & engine code can give others more to work with for suggestions.

Comment

• David Green
        • Oct 2009

Thanks guys for your input, I should have mentioned the year etc but must have slipped my mind . It's an 02 i.e. 2002 1600 Z16SE Vauxhall Combo dual fuel.

The EGR is electronic. The mentioned faults are now the least of my problems at the moment, other major problem come to light , it's oiling up on three and four cylinders!

Got me work cut out now

David

Comment

Working...