Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Green
    • Oct 2009

New Test Equipment

Anybody please advise of a good ammeter to go with the VP please. I am to understand that the accurancy of the meter is different between say a 0 - 60 amp meter, and a 0 - 1000 amp meter?

Is this right or should the 0 - 1000 amp meter do both low and high as accurate as each other?

Thanks

David
  • markt
    • Apr 2011

hi david.
    just put on here that i use a sealey 600 amp clamp with my vp and works very well..its basically the same unit as sykes and ones that come with pico which all work off the 1 milliamp = 1 volt principal.
    you can get higher than 600 but everyday use should see it ok for the 600 version,some are also switchable to higher or lower readings in 100 amp steps or 100 - 600 scale..loads to choose from.

Comment

• Damien J Coleman
      • Jan 2011

Hi David,

Snap-on do a 0 - 1000 Amp clamp compatable with the Vantage Pro (and most other multi-meters). I have attached the link.

To answer your question about accuracy, I need to find out why you need a 1000 Amp meter. If it is to test cranking amps, remember most modern starter motors with an epicyclic gear set will never get any where near that current flow. The only reason I would see for you to use such a high range is for a locked torque test on a large starter motor.

Remember the current clamp uses induction to measure the magnetic field strength in the cable being tested and the meter uses ohms law to display the actual value, so meter set-up is key to accuracy.

What components will you mainly be testing with the current clamp?

Regards,
      Damien

Comment

• Bob's Garage
        • Nov 2007

Hi David,

Long time, no talk.

I prefer to have two seperate current probes, a 0-40A and a 0-600A. You will never need any thing higher I believe.

We use the 0-600 fro things like cranking current and cranking compression tests.

0-40 on the low amp (0-20) setting works well for most automotive components.

I use Snap-on low amp and AES wave high amp current probes.

Good Luck, Bob

Comment

• DougMontgomery
          • Jul 2007

AES for both. They will also have the same versions with shielded cabling also. There was a link here about the comparision and there is virtually no difference between the PDI (AES Sold Brand) probes and the S.O....except the cost.

Their site shows the high amp with shielded, however they also offer the low amp shielded. AES is not the best at keeping their website updated...so call them for the low amp if you wish

Comment

• David Green
            • Oct 2009

Thanks for all your replies, very much appreciated

Yes Bob your right, we have not talked for quite a while now

How's the Big Wheels over there

Our manufacturers seem to be moving into the smaller engine ranges over here, like the three cylinder engines , they vibrate at best of times

David

Comment

• Orevin
              • Aug 2010

I only have the generic high current probe that came with my Pico kit, so I can't comment on how much better more expensive probes would be. AES Wave has compared their generic CA-600, CA-600 with a shielded cable and the Fluke 90i-610s:

As for the low amp clamps, I have both generic probes, shielded and not, and there is no difference. There is how ever a difference when compared to the SO probe. The EETA308A picks up less noise and is therefore preferred when measuring low currents.

-Kai-
              Chicago, IL

Comment

• David Green
                • Oct 2009

Thanks again for the additional information, much appreciated

David

Comment

• DougMontgomery
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Orevin
                  The EETA308A picks up less noise and is therefore preferred when measuring low currents.

Preferred by the individual using it. Myself and maybe others would not see the small noise difference worth the large price difference. I myself have 4 or 5 of the PDI "generic" probes adn a few of the Fluke $400 probes. I've taken one of the generic PDI's apart and sprayed the inside with nickel EMI shielding and replaced the coiled banana cabling with MIL grade double-shielded 50 ohm coaxial and it is super clean. About $20 in parts (can of spray & cable assembly) and 2-3 hours of work. With the price difference, it works out to about $40-$50 per hour I paid myself !

Comment

Working...