New SOLUS ULTRA and New to Snap-On Diagnostics.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biggredd
    • Dec 2011

New SOLUS ULTRA and New to Snap-On Diagnostics.

I have a new SOLUS ULTRA, I've basically spent all day reading the manual. I’m having problems figuring out how to do an Injector contribution test on a 06 Ford 6.0. I can get to the screen easy enough. But I’m sure there is more to it than that. I’ll be reading some more tonight.
  • diesel71
    • Feb 2008

biggredd, when you get to the screen the engine should be running and at idle. you should see every cylinder 1 threw 8 in text forum.
    20111025-1815-1.jpg
    In the pic above you can see cylinder #6 and #7 have a negative number this is 6 & 7 cylinders with low contribution. the injectors in 6/7 are missing,a dead injector or one that is not firing at all will read -80 to -100.
    I like to look at the injectors in graph forum, just click on all 8 cylinders to change the screen to graph then click on graph view in the top right corner. this will show all 8 in graph,now you can view all 8 and get a better picture of what is going on. If all 8 show zero there are no low contributions at this time, here is a trick= do a qwick throttel sweep and all the cylinders will drop low and then start graphing again. you can use this to find a sticking spool valve. Ill try and post a screen shot of what a sticky spool valve would look like. below is a pic in graph forum on the same engine, you can see 6/7 are low contributors.
    20111025-1814-1.jpg
    congrats on your new solus ultra, Im sure you will fnd it to be a great tool.
    Last edited by diesel71; 12-30-2011, 04:11 PM. Reason: added text

Comment

• Biggredd
      • Dec 2011

Thanks Diesel71.

All eight show 0 and I got a stright line moving across the screen. That being said this morning I asked a buddy to hook his Modis up to it because it's easy to feel and hear the miss/skip. His Modis showed #1 ocasional miss, #3 missing a lot and #5 missing some and #7 missing a lot. None were stopped entirely. So I guess I'm still not doing something right.

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Biggredd
        Thanks Diesel71.

All eight show 0 and I got a stright line moving across the screen. That being said this morning I asked a buddy to hook his Modis up to it because it's easy to feel and hear the miss/skip. His Modis showed #1 ocasional miss, #3 missing a lot and #5 missing some and #7 missing a lot. None were stopped entirely. So I guess I'm still not doing something right.
        If your Ultra isn't showing it and the Modis is, try the Mode-6...I think the Ford misfire is either $53 or $59, possibly $57...see if you can look it up or try the "troubleshooter" information
        won't hurt anything to query the mode-6 $xx...If it isn't correct for that vehicle it will tell you.

Comment

• diesel71
          • Feb 2008

you should be seeing the same results from both machines. you said it was checked in the morning with a friends modis, temature will have a huge effect on what you see on the test. the 6.0 use"s 2 coils to open/close a spool valve,theses spool valves control the oil going into and out of the injector. If you have cold thick oil or the wrong weight oil this will cause the spool valve to stick (not open & close wright). as the engine warms-up the miss on some injectors will go away. the oil is getting warm/thin and flowing threw the injctor right. you said #1-3-5-7 showed missing this is alot of good information,there all on the same bank so it sounds like you have 1 or 2 bad injectors on the same bank and they are causing issues with the others on that bank. this is what i would do
          perform the koer test, if an inector is falling below the thresh hold it will set a code for that injector so you will change that injector first.
          perform the injector buzz test, listen for a week buzz/click on 1 threw 7, if one has a softer/lower buzz wright that number down.
          perform the injector cut-out test, listen-feel and watch the engine load percent on your scanner for a injetor that dont make as mutch of a differance when cut-out. on the engine load % what you are looking for is a low change in percentage. lets say at idle the engine load is 40% then you cut-out injector #1 the percent go"s up and you can hear/feel it missing. that means it"s working. now you cut-out #2 the load percent stay"s low or dont change as much with littel or no change to the sound/feel, this injector is not contributing as much. check this and see if one of them match what you got in the buzz test.
          now you can look at the cylinder contribution test to confirm witch injector or injectors are bad. 1 threw 7 are on the same bank so it sounds like you have one injector letting compression into the fuel rail on that side effecting all on that bank.
          here is a tip/trick = remove the small engine mounted fuel filter and the black stand pipe(the black pipe the filter slids over) leave a small amount of fuel in the filter housing, remove the ficm relay so the engine wont start. crank the engine and watch for air bubbles in the filter housing. air bubbles in the filter housing is an injector/injectors letting compression into the fuel system on that bank.

Comment

• TurboJim
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by diesel71
            here is a tip/trick = remove the small engine mounted fuel filter and the black stand pipe(the black pipe the filter slids over) leave a small amount of fuel in the filter housing, remove the ficm relay so the engine wont start. crank the engine and watch for air bubbles in the filter housing. air bubbles in the filter housing is an injector/injectors letting compression into the fuel system on that bank.
            Then to find which one(s), pull all glow plugs, put one in each cyl and crank it. The one that bubbles is the offender.
            Jim Testa
            Senior Technician
            JD Automotive & Truck Inc
            Dover, NJ

Comment

Working...