Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

Using a CF in Slot 2 for Memory...some questions

Okay, so my Snappy dealer had an old SO CF card from a Solus that has some kind of old update on it. What do I need to do before I insert this bad boy into the top slot? I believe someone told me before that I need to reconfigure the CF card before I can use it for memory otherwise Modis will recognize it as an update and possibly upload an older update into the scanner? Is this true?
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Modis500
    Okay, so my Snappy dealer had an old SO CF card from a Solus that has some kind of old update on it. What do I need to do before I insert this bad boy into the top slot? I believe someone told me before that I need to reconfigure the CF card before I can use it for memory otherwise Modis will recognize it as an update and possibly upload an older update into the scanner? Is this true?
    Just clear the memory card the same way you'd remove old files from a USB stick by plugging it into your computer.
    Make a folder named "'USER"
    Then inside that folder make a folder named "DATA"

The machine will find that area and plunk the files you save in there
    ( or I think it should )

If you like you can look at the "properties" of the CF-card and see if it is FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS but I'd bet you find it just says "FAT" and you shouldn't have to format it.

HTH

Comment

• Modis500
      • Sep 2012

Crusty,

Got the CF reader and plugged her in...cleared out all the old files, and made the file as you said. Worked great this morning in Modis, thanks for the help!
      "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
      Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Modis500
        Crusty,

Got the CF reader and plugged her in...cleared out all the old files, and made the file as you said. Worked great this morning in Modis, thanks for the help!
        That's good news-!!!
        The CF card will probably hold a lot of files but there are some things to be wary of.
        1- If the CF card ever craps out, you've lost all your gathered data files. I would suggest you go to your computer, create a main folder and then some sub-folders to categorize the files every day or two.
        I group my saved files by Customer name and then by Vehicle and then by Data-Group and in the final folder where I copy the files in, I add the DATE to the filename of the folder so i can save data today for Mr Smith's Evap data and if need be I can save the same kind of data tomorrow for Mr Smith's Evap data.

eg: Smith----1999 Ranger-----EVAP-----Evap data Jan-23-13
        -----EVAP data Jan-24-13
        -----Evap data Jan-25-13

2- Becasue this is a Windows O/S, the folder you just created (DATA) can only hold about 500 files and then it won't let you put any more in.
        That's fine, just put an underscore ahead of the folder name so instead of it being "DATA", it is now "_DATA" and then add a time range so it reads "_DATA-Jan-22-24-13"
        Now make a folder again just named "DATA" and the machine can find it and away you go for another 500 files.
        When it's full just rename it to "_DATA-Jan-24-28-13" so it isn't the same as the first saved folder and then again make a new folder just named "DATA" and you can save a third batch of 500 files, and so on.

You can keep doing this until the CF-card is full but by then you'll have so many files saved, FINDING the ones you want is almost impossible which is why it's so important to save the files to your PC or Laptop sorted in a manner which allows you to find them later.

As long as you have the SSC (ShopStreamConnect) program on your computer, you can playback movies and review your saved files whenever you want.
        If you've got the SSC program on your computer at home, you can look at the files there too simply by copying the folders and the data to a USB, take them home, plunk them into your home computer and look at them at half-time while you watch Monday Night Football.....LOL

HTH
        Crusty

Comment

Working...