X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick_Taylor
    Administrator
    • Jan 2014

SureTrack spell check issues

I know the spell check in SureTrack has issues and causes frustration for users. What I'd like to do is gather the feedback about it in one place. Please reply with your feedback and I'll add to the list.

Here are the top things so far:

- trips up on codes, add on all codes, needs to ignore case - This has been fixed by having it ignore words with numbers
    - plurals, tenses and participles
    - technical terms
    - words with numbers in them - This has been fixed
    - words it says are misspelled but provides them in the choices
    - cancelling spell check is problematic
    Last edited by Nick_Taylor; 12-08-2014, 10:07 AM.
    SureTrack Community Administrator, Diagnostics forum Administrator.
  • Nick_Taylor
    Administrator
    • Jan 2014

Previous spell check discussion - http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...ead.php?t=9547

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Nick_Taylor
      I know the spell check in SureTrack has issues and causes frustration for users. What I'd like to do is gather the feedback about it in one place. Please reply with your feedback and I'll add to the list.

Here are the top things so far:

- trips up on codes, add on all codes, needs to ignore case
      - plurals
      - technical terms
      - words with numbers in them
      - words it says are misspelled but provides them in the choices
      - no function to type in the word you want
      - cancelling spell check is problematic
      You've got a pretty good summary right there Nick.
      Now it's just a matter of someone implementing corrections.

Comment

• Nick_Taylor
        Administrator
        • Jan 2014

Also would it help if there was a separate spell check button so you could check spelling before you post? And what about the spell check on the fly where it puts the red squiggly lines under bad words?

Comment

• sbreland73
          • Jan 2009

Also would it help if there was a separate spell check button so you could check spelling before you post? And what about the spell check on the fly where it puts the red squiggly lines under bad words?
          I use Google Chrome and it does this for you automatically, it is a nice feature.
          S. Breland

Comment

• maven
            • Mar 2014

Firefox does it on the fly too, same squiggly line.
            If the button was separate, and optional I wouldnt care how poorly the feature worked

Comment

• Nick_Taylor
              Administrator
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by maven
              Firefox does it on the fly too, same squiggly line.
              If the button was separate, and optional I wouldnt care how poorly the feature worked
              Are you saying if it was optional you just wouldn't spell check?

I know that a lot of users aren't using the spell check or they're just ignoring everything, including where it actually works. I have to edit a lot of post subjects and when I do, it runs the spell check.

Comment

• maven
                • Mar 2014

Are you saying if it was optional you just wouldn't spell check?

I know that a lot of users aren't using the spell check or they're just ignoring everything, including where it actually works. I have to edit a lot of post subjects and when I do, it runs the spell check.

Yup, thats exactly what Im saying. I use firefox and it alerts me with the little squiggly lines to misspellings, and if Ive got some sort of egregious error Ill address it but for the most part Ive got a pretty firm grasp on spelling.
                So SureTrack reminding me 7 times that Ive forgotten my apostrophes or that SP205 isnt spelled correctly is an annoying waste of my time as neither instance makes my posts difficult to read or understand what Im going on about. If my lack of punctuation on contractions is as a big a hindrance to broad understanding of my posts, as "text message" speak and all capital letters and zero sentence structure is to my understanding of other members posts then by all means Ill use whatever spell checker you see fit, otherwise Im skipping it.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Typos

I figure tossing in a few typos in a post is just like putting icing on the cake, when it comes to trolling.

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

If it picks up what it thinks is 7 errors and there really is only one, I'd like to just stick a piece of dynamite in it and blow past it...
                    As for the Auto-Correct on my cell phone....I really have to figure out how to turn THAT feature OFF...it's wrong more than it's right...
                    Are we really going to go to jail for a dangling participle-??

Comment

• MasterWrench
                      • Oct 2006

Wow...it is so simple to deal with spell check...just add any words to your dictionary...I rarely have a spell check come up unless I am quoting someone else's poor spelling....lmao
                      MasterWrench

Comment

• maven
                        • Mar 2014

I forgot about this one.... spell check used or ignored, doesnt matter, SureTrack wont let you use the plus sign "+" in a post.

Comment

• MasterWrench
                          • Oct 2006

I forgot about this one.... spell check used or ignored, doesnt matter, SureTrack wont let you use the plus sign "+" in a post.

I do +1 alot...so does eric....
                          MasterWrench

Comment

• maven
                            • Mar 2014

I do recall seeing that.....maybe it sees at as an equation, but when I use B+ for electrical diag it always drops the +, and it dropped them all out of a thread about Workhorse ECM diag last night.

Comment

• Nick_Taylor
                              Administrator
                              • Jan 2014

I do recall seeing that.....maybe it sees at as an equation, but when I use B+ for electrical diag it always drops the +, and it dropped them all out of a thread about Workhorse ECM diag last night.
                              I just put B+ in a reply with no problem. Are you doing it in replies or in a new post?

Comment

Working...