The Great Anti-Seize Debate

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maven
    • Mar 2014

Lubing the center hole and hub pilot is something I do religiously. Generous application here is fine so long as there's not too much that it can fling.

Comment

• David Green
      • Oct 2009

Over the pond from you guys the weather here this year has been quite good for once in a few years , however we do get some fairy bad winters and maybe not as cold as some other countries, but once we hit the minus figures it damn cold enough for me.

I fully appreciate all your experiences on this thread with regards the problems and solutions you guys have used over many years, and to be honest I can't really say that I have not done similar to you guys based on the evidence I have experienced over here.

Taking each point in turn;

We call then over here brake discs, you guys I think call them rotors. While I have had my share of brake discs that are seized to the wheel hubs, I too have had times when a hammer has been taken to the disc along with the welding torch to heat up the disc hub area to help free it from the wheel hub assembly, and some have broken while removing from the hubs, but if they were not ready for renewal then they would not have been removed, so no harm done, although I do take in the point about wheel bearings, were over here they are fully floating type bearings in the hubs and not normally taper roller bearings.

The brake disc hubs do become quite heavily corroded over here as well, and I have seen instances were new discs have been fitted to hubs that have not been cleaned off before fitment!!

Now there might be health and safety reasons why the OEM don't recommend lubricants/compounds being fitted to the hubs/wheel studs/nuts and bolts, and if may be something to do with the working temperature range of the brake components and the working temperature of the lubricants/compounds being used?

I remember on another forum a few years ago a mechanic told us of a real health issue he ended up with for the remainder of his life, something about lubricants/liquids being used at too high a temperature and then gasses were given off and he said he felt sick, the other lads took him outside for some fresh air and a short while afterwards his skin started to change colour, they rang the hospital and he was rushed in and now he says he is on medication every day for the rest of his life, and he cannot work anymore, sorry can't remember the specifics of his complaint, but it was quite serious.

As far as wheel studs/bolts are concerned it is the flanks of the threads in conjunction with the tension they are operating at that maintains their security to the wheel hubs, so if lubricant is used of some description then over time the wheel "may" work loose, and the other side of the coin could be that were the threads are dry "if" they are not completely free to rotate without resistance before final contact with the wheel stud hole mating face then they could actually be torque tightened too little even though the torque gauge clicks or reads at the correct torque?

Maybe it might just be best practice to work to the OEM recommendations and ask the customers to adhere to their recommendations when servicing

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

As far as getting brake discs off If the liberal spraying of penetrant around the hub pilot and studs and using an airhammer with a flat punch while pulling outboard on rotor doesn't work to free the corrosion bond after several attempts. The car or truck is getting new rotors.
        Rather than beating repeatedly with a big hammer, i take a portable band saw and cut through the rotor to the hub 360 degrees apart , then smack the inboard side and the rotor breaks in two halves and comes off real easy. It's a hub saver and cast iron cuts through pretty easy with a good metal blade on a reciprocating saw as well.
        If it's a car with rotors mounted inboard of the hubs , I sometimes feel like putting a dumpster at the front and rear end of the car and just cut the car in half.

Comment

• David Green
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Witsend
          I sometimes feel like putting a dumpster at the front and rear end of the car and just cut the car in half.
          Most of the sh*t that comes through the doors at our place needs your dumpster LOL

Comment

• chaskuss
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Crusty
            LOL....or you could just GRIN and enjoy the sensation-!!! LOL
            When I want that sensation, I'll stick with York Peppermint Patties, thank you very much!

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

When I want that sensation, I'll stick with York Peppermint Patties, thank you very much!
              Hmmm Didn't Charlie Brown used to "Pork' Peppermint Patty ?

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by chaskuss
                Sticky......lol

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                  Hmmm Didn't Charlie Brown used to "Pork' Peppermint Patty ?
                  That's sticky too....lol

Comment

• ratherbefishing75
                    • Jun 2014

where im frome the big f in hammer does just fine one good swing and eather the rotor pops off or it brakes lol aftervthat a good cleanning of the hub and some spray lube like pb blaster or ultra lube thena little wipe down does just fine when needed

Comment

Working...