X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disonesto
    • Dec 2012

Help lost software on ethos

Can someone please help me

I formatted my ethos thinking it would delete the user data only like movies and stuff...

it ended up deleting the software, Now my Ethos is stuck in service mode only
    NO software

Ethos Disk Utilities v7.30
    Connect to PC
    Fat Format
    Optimize Disk
    Make system CF
    Backup to CF
    Restore from CF
    Restore License File

I had software 7.2 on it
    When i plug it into my computer, it shows up as a disk drive all i see is license and SN

Shop stream connect gives me a message saying
    Unable to initialize Snap-on device!
    [Unable to obtain device serial number. This device may be pre bundle 8.2 and ineligible for service updates.]

Can someone please send me a backup or something please, I need my ethos back up and running Please
  • Bob's Garage
    • Nov 2007

Oh, boy.
    You may have to call the SO Customer Service. See what they will do for you.

A bigger problem is on the horizon for you though. Lets just say that someone can restore 7.2 on your machine. Good

If not you will be "forced" into buying an update from your SO rep. They will not want to sell you anything less than current. We are at 12.4 now. You are / were 5 1/2 years behind or 11 updates that have not been applied.

Your Ethos has the old board and will not accept anything newer than 9.4. This means you will have to upgrade to the new board, it will be the cheapest thing you can do. I searched for the upgrade kit, it appears it may not be offered anymore, the link doesn't show anything after clicking on it:

They may have a kit for you still, but are not marketing it any more because, as I hear, the boards are no longer produced.

Call Customer support : (800) 424-7226

Good Luck, Bob
    Last edited by Bob's Garage; 12-16-2012, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• disonesto
      • Dec 2012

How do I tell if my board is the old one or not?

And if it is the old version can't I just solder a bigger memory chip onto the board in place of the old chip?

Comment

• disonesto
        • Dec 2012

I have a friend with an ethos hes going to let me make a backup of his ethos has newer software but hope it works

1GB CF card should do be able to store the backup

I hope it works, I'll post with news

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

This won't work. You can't restore the software of a scanner from the software of another. Please call Tech Support before you end up breaking a second Ethos.
          My bet is that you are either going to have to update it, or send it in for repair. It depends on what you erased.
          Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

• Bob's Garage
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by disonesto
            How do I tell if my board is the old one or not?

And if it is the old version can't I just solder a bigger memory chip onto the board in place of the old chip?
            I know your ETHOS has the old board since it is at 7.2. This means yours has to be the old board since any new ETHOS or upgraded ETHOS first software level was at either 9.4 or 10.2, I don't remember. I do know that the older ETHOS cannot accept the new update.

I don't think it is worthwhile to even attempt soldering anything on the main board. Where would you get such an animal?

To be honest, you will spend about a grand or less for the upgrade, if it is still available. It will make your ETHOS a new scanner, for all practical purposes and current to 2012 levels.

Speaking of which, remember that ETHOS is more of a "service writer tool". It has no bi-direction control nor Troubleshooter. It depends on what your job is, really.
            The Solus Ultra is the best dedicated scanner out there and a good deal can be had on these or a used Modis or Solus Pro possibly.

Cloning a CF card from another ETHOS will not work because it is licesened to your friend's ETHOS and they will never jive.

Call Customer Care Monday and see what your options are.

Comment

• disonesto
              • Dec 2012

I bought this scanner on eBay used full working, Until i played in service mode

I just want to get it to work with 7.2 again

My scanner still has the 7.2 licensing in it because it show up every time i hook it up to the computer as like a text file.
              I just need the 7.2 software, I cant afford the update or the repair.

I don't think snap on is going to do anything free or even restore 7.2,
              Ill call them Monday morning and see what they say but i don't think they will really help me.

I bought this scanner for $550 on eBay about 5 days ago, I have 30 days to return it to the seller but i cant do that if the scanner doesn't have the 7.2 software any more, could anyone please do a backup of there 7.2 software in Disk Utilities menu and send it to me or post it here for me to try

Comment

• ephratah service center
                • Oct 2007

How stupid is this to allow a user to delete files that are needed to operate a tool. You would think they would protect a file like this and allow it only to be deleted if you have authorization or password protect the file to prevent user from crashing the tool.

Comment

• disonesto
                  • Dec 2012

Ok i got a hold of snap on

They said they cant update it, and i would have to send it in for repair to restore 7.2 for $190 + Tax

The Snap on Trucks don't carry anything that old anymore, The oldest they carry is like 9.4

Or

Send it in for Upgraded Unit With 12.4 software for $645 + Tax, They said they would keep the old unit and ship out a new unit with the new board and software 12.4

SO I'm kinda SOL, Unless someone can help me out and upload Version 7.2 or older on here for me to use for the time being so i could do the repair for new board.

Comment

• Orevin
                    • Aug 2010

SO I'm kinda SOL, Unless someone can help me out and upload Version 7.2 or older on here for me to use for the time being so i could do the repair for new board.

As Bob mentioned, it doesn't work that way. The license key is unique for each unit. You won't be able to run someones "backup" on your scanner, even if it's 7.2.
                    -Kai-
                    Chicago, IL

Comment

• Orevin
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by ephratah service center
                      How stupid is this to allow a user to delete files that are needed to operate a tool. You would think they would protect a file like this and allow it only to be deleted if you have authorization or password protect the file to prevent user from crashing the tool.

Why is that stupid? I can format the hard drive on my laptop. If I don't have a backup, I'm lost. Stupid Dell/IBM/Sony/whatever?

It's a (stupid) user error, RTFM. SO offered to fix for a fee. Nothing wrong with that.
                      -Kai-
                      Chicago, IL

Comment

• sbreland73
                        • Jan 2009

I don't think you are understanding what folks are telling you:

YOU CAN'T JUST UPLOAD SOME SOFTWARE TO YOUR CF CARD.
                        S. Breland

Comment

• sbreland73
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Orevin

Why is that stupid? I can format the hard drive on my laptop. If I don't have a backup, I'm lost. Stupid Dell/IBM/Sony/whatever?

It's a (stupid) user error, RTFM. SO offered to fix for a fee. Nothing wrong with that.
                          You know Windows hides the OS files with the "hidden" attribute, and tries to discourage "browsing" the C:\Windows folder. An attempt to reduce accidental erasure.

There are simple ways Snappy could hide those needed files, or put in a "hidden" partition. Yes, the end user needs to know their own limitations, and NOT go messing around with what they don't understand, with out being prepared for whatever risk.
                          S. Breland

Comment

• disonesto
                            • Dec 2012

OK so I'm Sol with the ethos . But I'm going to buy a new solise ultra off snap on truck
                            And just do payments

$2900 with euro. Does that sound like a good deal?

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                              • Nov 2007

Good Choice.

Great deal. I thought the $695 wasn't bad, it looks like they dropped the price. So you want to go from $695 to $2900?

The only explanation financially is payments. Hardware wise, You will be making an excellent decision. You will also get Troubleshooter and Bi-directional control. Plus Euro?. No keys. Touch screen. A very capable tool Good Choice!

Maybe some trade-in value on the Ethos?

Last edited by Bob's Garage; 12-20-2012, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Working...