Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • prmayner
    • Jun 2013

Verus Software

Can someone tell me how to get all my software back that was in D:? I had all the files that the SO tech downloads to use when re-installing Atlas also the license reset tools. When i tried to upgrade to a ssd Paragon erased everything in the D: drive. plus i never got the ssd to work, it's an Intel x25-m. when i did get the machine to finally go into L-alt mode with the ssd it took almost 4 hrs, when it finished the ssd drive was super slow and missing all kinds of stuff like network connections for one. It's a mess i'm still trying to straighten out as i type putting the original drive back in, it does still have the C:>. I'm in L-alt mode now with it. this is a v1 verus i got off ebay a couple of weeks ago. It got shut down wrong right after i first got it and ever since it's has given me hell. I have been just leaving it on and it works fine but the charge cord came out during the night and drained the battery when i rebooted- hardware init problem. I've already tried everything i can find, it works fine until it's shut off a couple times, I've held my breath a few times when all of a sudden i looked down and the suite wasn't running in the task bar which means i have to restart program.Ouch!! I'm turning blue. It starts this time whewwww otherwise it's a re-image.

Well i'm sending it in and keeping my fingers crossed. I"ll never hold my breath. I do have a few comments to make after talking to the tech and getting an rma. I bought a used Pegisys back in May that was advertised as new off of ebay from a place called cjtreasurechest, anyway when i got the unit and turned it on the screen said "no os found" after trying a few things i couldn't get it to work so i called tech support, he had me try some things and nothing would work so he said your going to have to send it in, i thought @#$%##@ i just bought this thing and it's suppose to be new anyway so he says he will (ARE YOU LISTENING SNAP-ON?) send me a loaner tomorrow, i thought to myself ok he's sending it out tomorrow 3-4 days to get to me, i guess that's not to bad at least he's sending me a loaner. That was on a Monday morning, Tuesday morning at 10am UPS shows up, it's the loaned scanner, with another UPS return label in the box so i can send in mine at (ARE YOU LISTENING SNAP-ON?) NO CHARGE!!!!
    So i put my non working one in the box and ship it off. About a week and half later i get a call from Bosch who i guess works on their stuff or makes it, the lady on the phone tells me they put in another new hard drive, new ic board in the wireless module and upgraded the wifi cards also for good measure new batteries to go in the module, and updated to the newest software and then she says that will be a 1000 dollars and some change please, i told her i just bought this and it's suppose to be new, she says send her the purchase receipt so i called the place where i bought it and gave him the info she gave me, he says the rep will handle it don't worry. What do you know 4 days later i get my scanner back with another UPS label in the box to send the loaner back to them. HOT DAMN I'M SOLD!!! WHAT SERVICE!!! NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WHAT SERVICE AND I CAN'T BELIEVE A COMPANY AS BIG AS SNAP-ON CAN'T DO THE SAME THING. For God's sake how much more money do you want? 10,000 and your still not satisfied. With a Wireless module and j-2534 too you would be nuts not to get an PEGISYS. I paid 2 grand for it, that's a lot better than 1700 just for j-2534. Oh yea since i have gotten this otc back it has worked flawlessly. I love it. It's ironic our world is based on customer satisfaction, if we lose that we lose a customer. It seems to me snap on is based on how much money they can suck out of THEIR CUSTOMERS, cause customer service is almost non existent, oh yea you can get some satisfaction if you PAY FOR IT, SNAP ON ARE YOU LISTENING!!! Some times we have to bite the bullet and repair something for free so we can keep the customer happy. Granted i've only had this scanner about 2 weeks so i can't comment to much but so far customer service SUCKS!!! I can't wait to get the bill. OH i see if they paid the shipping on all the returned Verus' that had something wrong with them Snap On would go broke. That's my rant for the day. Just letting everyone know how i was treated by OTC.
    Last edited by prmayner; 09-10-2013, 12:17 AM. Reason: more info
  • Nickb
    DSD
    • Aug 2007

If you bought it from from Snapon, then if your Snapon dealer has a loaner, I'm sure they would lend it to you. If you purchsed it on Ebay, good luck.
    DSD

Comment

• prmayner
      • Jun 2013

That's the point i didn't buy from a dealer i bought if off ebay and who i got it from must have the right connections cause he got it fixed for free, i was quite amazed myself. I thought i was stuck with a broken scanner. I finally did find out that it was purchased by ABC auto back a few years ago. Beats me. I just wanted Snap On to know and anyone else who cares, how i was treated by the competition, when i bought one of their used scanners and had to have it worked on.

Comment

• komobu
        • Feb 2009

I have the gen 2 verus. I too bought a ssd drive, but I took mine to a local computer shop and had them clone it and install it. To me it was 100 well spent

Anyways, if it will help, I can have the same shop clone my hard drive onto your ssd if you want. The only issue is mine is a gen 2 wireless. I am not sure how it will work with your gen 1 unit

Comment

• Orevin
          • Aug 2010

The license saved on your hard drive, for your Verus, will not work on his tool.
          -Kai-
          Chicago, IL

Comment

• No-Start
            • Oct 2006

How can Snap On lose a customer, you weren't their customer in the first place. You bought it off ebay.

No-Start.

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

When someone buys a used Honda, it's still a Honda. He's pointing out the good treatment he got from OTC, new or used, it's still an OTC product. With the Verus, new or used, it's still a SO product. Whether he's the first owner or the 5th owner, his used Honda still has the Honda nameplate, or OTC or Ford, or Westinghouse, etc. The resale or trade in value affects the original sale & purchase a great many times.
              Just because he bought his SO product down the line, doesn't change the fact that it's a SO product. If he STOLE it then I would agree with that comment.
              Last edited by Crusty; 09-11-2013, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• transporter
                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by komobu
                I have the gen 2 verus. I too bought a ssd drive, but I took mine to a local computer shop and had them clone it and install it. To me it was 100 well spent

Anyways, if it will help, I can have the same shop clone my hard drive onto your ssd if you want. The only issue is mine is a gen 2 wireless. I am not sure how it will work with your gen 1 unit
                Can you tell me please which type of SSD did you buy and what size?
                My Verus Pro is still under the warranty, so I will have to wait a bit longer before I get the SSD fitted. The cloning it is a good idea. I'm sure that my local IT Warehause is able to replace it.

Comment

• komobu
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by transporter
                  Can you tell me please which type of SSD did you buy and what size?
                  My Verus Pro is still under the warranty, so I will have to wait a bit longer before I get the SSD fitted. The cloning it is a good idea. I'm sure that my local IT Warehause is able to replace it.
                  I went round and round over what ssdbto purchase. I read all the reviews. I ended up getting the Samsung 840pro 256gb. I bought it new off of amazon.com. At first I was going to clone it my self, but I didn't have the cables and I didn't want to run into any problems. When I stopped by a local computer store to check on the price, the guy told me what a good drive it was. He said it was the same one he sold and it was the best one out there.

Comment

• prmayner
                    • Jun 2013

To tell you the truth i'm scared as hell to try something else, I don't know what happened with Paragon only that i used a windows 8 computer to do it on and it said it was going to wipe off anything on the destination drive, but to update on the L-Alt with the original drive, it too was just like the ssd drive when i got finished as it was missing the same things and now it wont even boot up so that's why I'm sending it in.

Comment

• prmayner
                      • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Crusty
                      When someone buys a used Honda, it's still a Honda. He's pointing out the good treatment he got from OTC, new or used, it's still an OTC product. With the Verus, new or used, it's still a SO product. Whether he's the first owner or the 5th owner, his used Honda still has the Honda nameplate, or OTC or Ford, or Westinghouse, etc. The resale or trade in value affects the original sale & purchase a great many times.
                      Just because he bought his SO product down the line, doesn't change the fact that it's a SO product. If he STOLE it then I would agree with that comment.
                      Just figured out how to put the reply comment up there first, duh. Anyways right on Crusty that's exactly what i was referring to. It was still an OTC and they took care of it. and no i didn't steal it, it was a buy it now for 1800 so i jumped on it, maybe now i should have just called the rep and got a Pro but i'm just a one man show and although nice to have it's hard to justify to my wife i need 20,000 dollars worth off diagnostic equipment. So got to try and find those deals, I don't know if i got bit on this one or i bit myself.
                      Last edited by prmayner; 09-11-2013, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• prmayner
                        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Orevin
                        The license saved on your hard drive, for your Verus, will not work on his tool.
                        Please explain.

Comment

• prmayner
                          • Jun 2013

Originally posted by komobu
                          I went round and round over what ssdbto purchase. I read all the reviews. I ended up getting the Samsung 840pro 256gb. I bought it new off of amazon.com. At first I was going to clone it my self, but I didn't have the cables and I didn't want to run into any problems. When I stopped by a local computer store to check on the price, the guy told me what a good drive it was. He said it was the same one he sold and it was the best one out there.
                          yea i took a hard look at that one also and was going to get it but i forgot i had this x-25 80gig so i thought i would try it, i'm remembering now that when i had that drive in my computer there was a hard drive error message saying to back up all your files the hard drive is failing, sounds to me that probably had something to do with it. It's hell gettin old and still trying to play like the kids.

Comment

• sbreland73
                            • Jan 2009

Did you mark the new ssd as "Active"? If you don't know then the answer most likely is "no". A hard drive must have its MBR contain the "active" flag in order to be bootable.

S. Breland

Comment

• prmayner
                              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by sbreland73
                              Did you mark the new ssd as "Active"? If you don't know then the answer most likely is "no". A hard drive must have its MBR contain the "active" flag in order to be bootable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_flag
                              Yes it was, but it may have changed on it's own who knows, I got tired of messing with it and decided to make some money instead and go to work. I think there was something wrong with the drive, I may get the samsung later if i get up enough courage.

Comment

Working...