X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

2013 GMC Sierra Air Bag Flashing Problem

Good Day fellow techs.

I was called by a local bodyshop to flash program an SDM, (air bag controller) on a 2013 GMC Sierra Denali. The SDM was replaced along with the driver door bag, driver seat belt retractor and crash sensor in the driver door. I have been using my Verus Pro and the Ford VCM2 as it is a recognized device through GM SPS. I have done several fuel pump driver modules, ecms, BCMs and a couple older air bag controllers with this setup before. Yes I know win XP and the Verus Pro do not meet GM SPS minimum standards but its been working so far. The reason I've been using the VCM2 is that I have Ford IDS on my VP so the drivers were already installed.

Anyways, I connected the VP scanner and performed a network scan of all controllers before starting the flash process. Retrieved codes B0033, B0040 for Third Row Left Roof Rail Deployment Loop open Circuit (Symptom 04) as well as B0081 Passenger Presence System 1 Incorrect Component Installed, (Symptom 3A), B0098 Active Switch Circuit Short to Battery (Symptom 01) and B1019 System Configuration Error (Symptom 00). Also retrieved codes B2555, B1590 from Driver Door Switch due to disconnected parts.

Attempted to clear Airbag codes and would not clear. Connected to GM Service Programming and downloaded flash file for the SDM. Attempted to program and received error code E4399 Severe error reading ECU data from device or controller. Repeated attempt to program several times and error present. Contacted GM Tech support and they informed me that the current fault codes appear to be preventing flash programming. Requires further diagnosis of the Air Bag system.

I noted that most of the fault codes are for components that do not exist on this vehicle. I found a case history in the IATN that suggested problem is not due to codes as the codes present are for components that are not present in this vehicle and a different J2534 programmer may function as required.

Attempted the reflash of the SDM with a Pass Thru Pro 2 and was successful. Set up SDM primary key in BCM using special functions in the Verus Pro. Cleared all codes and performed network scan. All codes cleared but SIR lamp is steadily flashing. Suspect an additional programming step is missing in the Snap-On scanner. There are two options in the SDM setup on the VP. The first is "Setup New SDM". When this is selected a message says that a J2534 Pass Thru device will be required and that the module may need to be programmed prior and to select continue. When I continue I received a message saying it was complete. The second option is "Setup SDM Primary Key in BCM" which seemed to work but the light was still flashing. I checked case histories on the IATN and found case that suggests the Rollover Sensor must be calibrated to the SDM yet the GM service information does not specifically state this. Consulted with dealer.

I attempted to perform the calibration setup with a GM Tech2 scanner I borrowed but found the Candi module supplied with the scanner would not allow communication with the vehicle. So the vehicle ended up going to the dealer to have the SDM "set up" with their tech2.

I was wondering if the Pass Thru Pro 2 can be used with Tech2 Win? I believe that would have solved my issue.

Is there a specific order these two processes must be performed? Is is possible the Setup New SDM function is not working properly?

vin is 3GTP2XE26DG100293
    VP running 15.4 software
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Thought newer GMs 2013 and up required something called the MDS-II to do some things that the original MDS already cant do , that the Tech II definitely no longer can do. What ever happened to that GM Tech, Maven guy ? I think he got bent about no longer accessing Sure Crack Forum or something without current update or something.

Comment

• Glide
      • Jan 2015

From what I have read the passthrupro 2 is only J2534-1,you would need PTP-3 to do J2534-2 which includes more than OBD2.
      I only own GM MDI and Bosch M-VCI which work fine for both J-2534-1 and -2,so I really can't say for sure what else works.
      I just did a 2016 Sierra last week with my MDI,the MDI is supported into the forseable future

Edit: MDI2 has some optional features but they are not flash related.
      Last edited by Glide; 03-18-2017, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• Glide
        • Jan 2015

I have a question for you phill.When you go into GM programming does it recognise your VCM2 as such?
        For example when I go in, it lists for me- M-VCI
        MDI
        MDI-2
        TECH2

Each of these only appeared after I had used them,but now they all are listed when I go into programing.

Comment

• phill57
          • Oct 2007

Pass Thru options

Originally posted by Glide
          I have a question for you phill.When you go into GM programming does it recognise your VCM2 as such?
          For example when I go in, it lists for me- M-VCI
          MDI
          MDI-2
          TECH2

Each of these only appeared after I had used them,but now they all are listed when I go into programing.
          The list of possible devices seems to depend on what drivers you have previously installed on the computer. In my case I was using the Ford VCM2 since I also have IDS installed on the Verus and when I went into GM SPS it was listed as a supported device. After I installed the Snapon Pass Thru Pro 2 drivers and then went back to GM SPS it too was now listed.

In my case the PTP 2 worked. I was just wondering if it would also work with Tech2Win is emulate a tech2 scanner.

Comment

• Glide
            • Jan 2015

So you are saying that the passthru pro2 worked to flash a SDM?I had understood that it would only flash ECMs/PCMs.If this is what you mean,then I would expect that it would work with Tech2win,but I can't say that for sure.
            Did you find out from the dealer exactly what they did?The reason that I ask is that the latest model GM trucks have SDM calibration and "setup primary key in BCM" both within SPS.The next time that I have a '13 truck in I'll check to see if "setup SDM primary key" is even a function in Tech2 for '13 trucks.
            I have spent most of my time in this trade in new car dealerships,so I'm in the process of learning just how much and with what equipment that I can do in the aftermarket.
            If you call ACDelco someone may be able to answer your question for sure.

Comment

• phill57
              • Oct 2007

Setup SDM

So you are saying that the passthru pro2 worked to flash a SDM?I had understood that it would only flash ECMs/PCMs.If this is what you mean,then I would expect that it would work with Tech2win,but I can't say that for sure.
              Did you find out from the dealer exactly what they did?The reason that I ask is that the latest model GM trucks have SDM calibration and "setup primary key in BCM" both within SPS.The next time that I have a '13 truck in I'll check to see if "setup SDM primary key" is even a function in Tech2 for '13 trucks.
              I have spent most of my time in this trade in new car dealerships,so I'm in the process of learning just how much and with what equipment that I can do in the aftermarket.
              If you call ACDelco someone may be able to answer your question for sure.
              Thanks for the reply. The Setup SDM option is still available on the Tech2 for this vehicle. 2013 is the last year from what I understand. Both the Setup Primary Key in the BCM and Setup new SDM are functions in the Snap-on Scanner just the Setup new SDM function did not appear to work. My understanding is that this is all the dealer did. took like 5 minutes. I'm going to try to see if the Tech2Win will work with the Pass Thru Pro 2 and I''l post my results here. Just have to pay for 3 days access to use it so I might wait til I have another need for it just the same.

Comment

• Glide
                • Jan 2015

From my prior experience,if you do have issue and have to contact Delco,the first thing they will ask is if you have any Ford software(IDS) or drivers installed.Then they may ask you to remove them.
                Ford/Jag/Rover software often doesn't play well with others.
                That's why I wondered if your flash actually took.

You should send snappy a bug report, as if setup sdm is available, your verus pro should do it,you shouldn't have to subscribe to Tech2Win.

2013 is the last year Tech2 can be used for full size trucks or any other model.Starting in 2010 model year any GM with Global architecture went to GDS2 as they changed.

Comment

• Glide
                  • Jan 2015

OK,just flashed a SDM on a 08 avalanche.After flashing the airbag light stays on-> normal
                  performed setup with Solus Ultra when going into airbag selection the two selections that are used for setup are "setup SDM primary key in BCM" and "setup new SDM".
                  If you do setup new SDM first,you will get the flashing airbag light and the message that j2534 flashing may be required,so don't do that.
                  If you setup primary key first,then setup new SDM everything goes fine.
                  Last edited by Glide; 03-22-2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                    • Apr 2011

Just my 2 cents. I have done these with my PTPII and it has never failed. The 2 step procedure is done with any tool that has the option. Launch, Snapon, Autel, Tech2,Tech2Win, etc. Problem was the order you do it in as Glide stated. Besides that, everything should work and you don't need an MDI or tech 2(Older models) to do this since most aftermarket tools have the ability. Good luck!

Comment

• phill57
                      • Oct 2007

Setup SDM

OK,just flashed a SDM on a 08 avalanche.After flashing the airbag light stays on-> normal
                      performed setup with Solus Ultra when going into airbag selection the two selections that are used for setup are "setup SDM primary key in BCM" and "setup new SDM".
                      If you do setup new SDM first,you will get the flashing airbag light and the message that j2534 flashing may be required,so don't do that.
                      If you setup primary key first,then setup new SDM everything goes fine.
                      Thanks

I kinda figured it had something to do with the order the steps were done. The scanner does not say either way and the Setup New SDM is listed first so that's what I did first. I'll keep this in mind if I do another.

Phil

Comment

• Glide
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by phill57
                        Thanks

I kinda figured it had something to do with the order the steps were done. The scanner does not say either way and the Setup New SDM is listed first so that's what I did first. I'll keep this in mind if I do another.

Phil
                        Yeah,when I saw the order of the list in the menu on the solus,my first thought was why would they do it like that?
                        Logically the first step should be listed first.
                        Also thanks phill for the info about the vcm2 and ptp2.

Comment

• Crusty
                          • Dec 2007

Yeah,when I saw the order of the list in the menu on the solus,my first thought was why would they do it like that?
                          Logically the first step should be listed first.
                          Also thanks phill for the info about the vcm2 and ptp2.
                          Thanks for the info on sequences for setting things up.
                          As for ""why would they do it like that?"" (LMAO)
                          I've pointed out several times that on some splash screens of the scanners there is a selection for "Read This First"....BUT.....it's not visible on the page until you scroll down.....and it's the LAST selection on the page-!!!
                          I guess that's just how computer programmers think.....READ FIRST is the LAST thing on the page....and they want us to trust autonomous vehicles-!!
                          Windows warning on the dashboard as a crash is occurring ...."The Airbag is about to deploy. Are you sure-?"

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

So if you installed a used identical airbag module and followed the 2 steps on the scan tool ( if they were listed in the correct order, you would not have needed to buy a subscription and gone through all the Reflashing Rigamaro?
                            Will the numbering order fix be relegated to number 999 on the Quaker list after they fix the forum search bar?

Comment

• Glide
                              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Witsend
                              So if you installed a used identical airbag module and followed the 2 steps on the scan tool ( if they were listed in the correct order, you would not have needed to buy a subscription and gone through all the Reflashing Rigamaro?
                              Will the numbering order fix be relegated to number 999 on the Quaker list after they fix the forum search bar?
                              Yes.In fact I tried two from a salvage yard,but they had both been deployed.The one that I replaced was severely corroded.
                              I have in the past used used SDMs and just had to perform the two setup steps.

Comment

Working...