01 chevy cavalier mode 6 can or class 2?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ephratah service center
    • Oct 2007

01 chevy cavalier mode 6 can or class 2?

Does an 01 cavalier with 2.2 push rod engine run on a CAN platform or class 2 platform? I have one that I have repaired the evap on and am attempting to get monitors to run for inspection and have driven 120 miles and have 2 monitors that will not run. The 02 monitor and the evap monitor will not run.
    I have gone into mode 6 and see some of the evap test have failed but do not which mode 6 data to use.
    The customer said last year when she had vehicle inspected at another shop they had the same problem.
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ephratah service center
    I have gone into mode 6 and see some of the evap test have failed but do not which mode 6 data to use.
    The customer said last year when she had vehicle inspected at another shop they had the same problem.
    If the monitor has not run you can not use it's data. Only after the monitor has run pass or fail can you use it. Have you looked up the criteria needed to run the monitor?

Steve

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

If you have recent software on your scanner you should be able to mature the EVAP monitor with the Service Bay Test.
      As Steve also noted, if the monitr hasn't run, the data can't be trusted...however, on any GM I've ever looked at the Mode 6 tests that haven't run simply have a value of 0 for the test results until the monitor runs. You can go into Mode 6 to see if any parts of the O2 and EVAP Monitors have run.

To answer your question, that car is not CAN.
      To finish inspecting it, go to Functional Tests and run the Service Bay Test.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Oct 2007

I have a Solus running 9.2 and vehicle does not seem to have the option to run the evap service bay test. I took vehicle on the thruway this morning to try to get monitors to run I think I remember seeing someplace about needing a speed of 72 MPH. still did not run monitors.

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Does an 01 cavalier with 2.2 push rod engine run on a CAN platform or class 2 platform? I have one that I have repaired the evap on and am attempting to get monitors to run for inspection and have driven 120 miles and have 2 monitors that will not run. The 02 monitor and the evap monitor will not run.
          As Steve says, look in your MOD/AllData for the requirements to make the monitors run. As Joe says I believe it runs GM not CAN

Try having it cold, IAT & CTS within afew degrees of each other, make sure the fuel tank level is ABOVE 15% and BELOW 85%. Put the heater/AC controls in defrost, put the temperature setting at full heat, fan on low speed.
          Start the car, and let it idle on it's own for around 10 minutes. Usually after 2-3 minutes you'll start to see some activity on the evap purge and vent solonoids, then watch the fuel tank pressure pids. The voltage should go up and the vacuum should go down. Just sit there and watch 'em. after it releases the vent, the voltage will drop and the vacuum will rise (usually around 7-8 minutes). Then put it in gear and drive away normally. The evap test state should display "done" within 2-4 minutes of driving.
          Maybe that'll help the evap monitor. If it doesn't complete, check for codes & follow the charts.
          I can't remember the procedure to complete the O2 monitor off the top of my head right now but check it as Steve says.
          HTH. Crusty
          Last edited by Crusty; 06-06-2009, 04:59 AM. Reason: not complete, check for codes.

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

I have a Solus running 9.2 and vehicle does not seem to have the option to run the evap service bay test. I took vehicle on the thruway this morning to try to get monitors to run I think I remember seeing someplace about needing a speed of 72 MPH. still did not run monitors.
            It shouldn't have to go that high, perhaps you saw 72 K.P.H, not mph?? I can usually see the monitor "complete"/"done" before I hit 60kph.

Comment

• Oct 2007

Ran car for 40 Minutes with no activity on the any of the evap solenoids. IAT and ECT were with in 2 degrees of each other. Ran the a\c and fan on low speed. Have no codes and do not have option for pending codes.
              Any other ideas?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

Are you sure that the Service Bay Test is not in the Functional Test Menu? If it's not there, it's back to Mode 6. Get the Test IDs from Shopkey, or service.gm.com Try to see if you can't identify which part of the monitor is hanging. On a GM, and Test that shows a desired value, but the test result is 0, has not been able to finish yet. If it shows zeros for both values (desired and actual), then it hasn't even tried to run it yet.
                Don't apply these rules to other manufacturers.

Steve6911 can speak from experience on this one. He had a Ford that wouldn't run the EVAP Monitor. It was aborting for excess fuel slosh. Even though Ford doesn't have a trouble code for that, it will hang a monitor. Check to see if any of the Monitors are aborting, and try to make some sense of it.

Joe
                Henry Ford

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Ran car for 40 Minutes with no activity on the any of the evap solenoids. IAT and ECT were with in 2 degrees of each other. Ran the a\c and fan on low speed. Have no codes and do not have option for pending codes.
                  Any other ideas?
                  See if there is "purge & seal" in Functional Tests. On the left side of the selections you can turn it On & Off. If the system is capable, if you leave it on it will pull the FTP vacuum down and the FTP voltage will go up. It'll reach it's maximum and then abort due to too much vacuum. That's OK, It's a protection. The FTP voltage should head for 3.8, 3.9, 4.0 volts or more. The vacuum should head for -18 to -22mmHG.
                  Just start the engine & idle it, select the purge/seal and watch the Fuel-Tank-Pressure values. If nothing happens check the vent solonoid inboard of the right rear wheel above the axle. They're common.
                  In functional tests, there should also be individual selections for the Purge solonoid & the vent solonoid.

Comment

• Oct 2007

tried purge and seal test today went to 50% purge and tank pressure voltage went to 1.80 and pressure went to 2.91mmHG.
                    I noticed that when car is off the FTP voltage is 1.49 and -0.18mmHG is this normal?

Comment

• Oct 2007

Went into mode 6 found test ID $02 componet $06 min:32798 max: N/A value 32768 Failed
                      Test ID $02 componet $11 min:10 Max N/A value :0 Failed
                      Anyone tell me what this means?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                        Snap-on DSD
                        • Aug 2007

Went into mode 6 found test ID $02 componet $06 min:32798 max: N/A value 32768 Failed
                        You can find the answer to that, and other Mode 6 questions, in Mitchell, Shopkey, or service.gm.com

...but it means that the car failed the excess vacuum test, and failed the purge leak test.

Check to see if the purge valve is closing all the way and not bleeding vacuum. If it's OK, check to see if your fuel tank pressure sensor can read full range. Do you have an EVAP Tester that will allow you to pressurise the EVAP System? It will make your life a lot easier.

Joe
                        Henry Ford

Comment

• Crusty
                          • Dec 2007

tried purge and seal test today went to 50% purge and tank pressure voltage went to 1.80 and pressure went to 2.91mmHG.
                          I noticed that when car is off the FTP voltage is 1.49 and -0.18mmHG is this normal?
                          When you command 50% purge with the purge/seal test, the fuel tank pressure voltage should have gone higher than 1.80 volts. At that voltage I believe it was (MINUS) -2.91mmHG.
                          Key-On-Engine-Off the voltage should be near 1.50-V and the 1.49/-0.18mmHG is normal. The systems vary but they can all go to a positive pressure of around 6-to-9-inches-of-water-column and as low as (minus) -14 -to- -17 inches-of-water-column. There is about 13.6 inches of water column in ONE inch of mercury (your engine will have 16 to 20 inches of vacuum at idle but that is in inches-of-mercury, so the evap system is testing for the amount of minus air pressure that it would take to blow out a candle-!)
                          I can usually get well above 3.5-volts and -16mmHG to -20mmHG with only 20% purge applied. It's not instantaneous, it'll take between one to three minutes to build depending on how much fuel is in the tank. If it has 75% fuel volume it'll take less time than if there is 1/4 tank of fuel.
                          If you don't have Mitchell or AllData get some sort of information system. There is too much for ANYONE to know off the top of their head.
                          Check the code charts in the MOD/AllData for P0440 and P0442 or any other evap related codes. Read them. You'll get a better understanding of how the system functions.
                          Again, if you can't get well over 2.0 volts and well under -10.0mmHG then there is something wrong. Either your purge portion of the system isn't applying enough vacuum, or there is something leaking allowing air in (gas cap, rusted fuel filler tube, VENT SOLONOID, etc), or the fuel tank pressure sensor isn't reading correctly.
                          The mode $06 data is very muddled at best. Every manufacturer does things differently. A component had to reach min:32798, and had a value of value 32768 which wasn't enough so it failed. Another component had to reach min:10 and had a value of value :0 so it failed too.
                          If the system self tests and one component fails, it may not even try to test another and so the monitors will not complete.
                          We already know the EVAP system isn't completing probably because it can't reach a decision due to it not being able to pull and hold a vacuum. Some codes will not set unless it sees exactly the same failure on the NEXT CONSECUTIVE start/run/warmup cycle.
                          As Joe says, the mode 6 data can be found but I think if you check the evap code charts you'll get there sooner.
                          Pinch the hose off at the vent solonoid, run the evap purge/seal again and see if you can get much more than 2.0-volts. The rear vent solonoids are so common that almost every dealer/parts supplier keeps them in stock.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
                            Snap-on D&I
                            • Nov 2006

normal?
                            When you commanded the purge, did the vent automatically open when the pressure hit 2.91 mmHg (-2.91) and allow tank pressure to rise?

The reason I ask is that I have seen a few GMs that would automatically open the vent when the tank pressure hit about -3.00 mmHg instead of the usual -23.00 or so. I think they were all Cadys but I don't remember for sure now. I verified the vehicles did the same thing when using the Tech2. I don't know why the vehicle would limit the tank pressure at -3.00, but a few seem to.

Comment

• Oct 2007

I have a snap on smoke machine and attempted to smoke vehicle the other day when fuel tank was down to 1/8 of a tank to check the filler neck and rest of the system and can not get any smoke to come out of filler neck with the cap off I see pressure in tank rise on the scanner but can not get any smoke to come out of filler tube.
                              I tried to purge and seal at 50% and the tank pressure voltage went to 2.06 and the tank pressure mmHG went to 5.10. You say that it should go to a - number and I am seeing a no minus sign in front of number so I assume this is an indication of pressure and not vacuum.
                              How can vacuum applied to a tank read as pressure?
                              I have talked to my sales rep today about getting shop key.

Comment

Working...