X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Diesel Particulate Filter Burnoff

In the last few weeks I've come across a couple of new diesel trucks that were in reduced power more, or had lights requesting a Manual DPF Burnoff be completed. Rigth now this is an OEM-only Function for GM, Fords and Dodge Cummins'. Id like to see the Functional tests added to the scanner software to command these tests....but I'm a Diesel-Head. I'm not the best judge of how many folks want/need these tests.

Please take a minute to vote and comment. The results will probably satisfy my curiosity more than sway SO's opinion of the need for the test, but I ask that you do it anyway.

Joe
    Yes I need it and I'd use it often
    0%
    Yes, it would be nice but I'd seldom use it
    0%
    No, I'd prefer a different test was added (please specify in the post)
    0%
    No, I don't work on Diesels at all
    0%
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

JOE

GREAT idea using a poll to show S.O. what people in this forum want! Saves a lot of time counting back on posts!

Steve

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
      JOE

GREAT idea using a poll to show S.O. what people in this forum want! Saves a lot of time counting back on posts!

Steve
      Thanks Steve. Even dumb guys have a good idea on occasion.
      I won't reveal how long I thought about the 4 possible responses for fear of revealing exactly how dumb I really am!

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Skip
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2008

I will pass this on to the Chrysler engineer as I agree that it is a very important issue. There is a very lengthy T.S.B. for cleaning the EGR cooler, turbo, and DPF on the new Cummins engines. Very often the result is a new exhaust system.

Comment

• diesel71
          • Feb 2008

great idea joe anyone that works on the new diesels knows the dpf systems are one of the biggest issues we see today. certain conditions have to be set to allow the dpf to complete a regeneration. when these conditions are not allowed the pcm will set codes and go into limp home mode. then the diagnostics begin,having the ability to do a manual regen would not only cut down on guess work but save time and money. one thing that would almost have to coincide with this is a dpf reset,the regen cycles are made to regen more as the engine/exhaust system gets older so you would need to have a reset function to reset the regen cycles when a new dpf was installed.
          to the best of my knowledge gm/ford/dodge all estimate that the dpf system will last 100,000-120,000 miles and then need replaced, we know most diesel owners will keep there diesels past that so lets get prepared.

Comment

• Earl Davis
            • Jan 2009

This is a very good suggestion. The manual Dpf burnoff process is used frequently in the dodge dealer shops and required to complete the SB that Skip had mentioned.

Comment

• KM@PROAUTOTECH
              • Oct 2007

Joe,

As you know I am involved mainly with drivability, however the more bi-directional tests I have the better I off I am. We are seeing and increase in the # of diesel drivability problems, so if the test is there i will use it.

Comment

• ArmstrongPerformance
                • Mar 2009

That would be a really nice feature.

Comment

• Daautos
                  • May 2009

agree

here in the uk we unfortunately have to deal with these on more an more european cars so i agree i have had numerous peugeot cars that require a manual dpf regen also these cars have an additive tank i would also like to see somthing on my solus to reset this after filling as well cheers guys

Comment

• jeffss1
                    • Jun 2009

Quick Smart

Yeap saab vauxhall vw and fiat all suffer badly from sooting and a manual regen would be very helpful to prolong the life of the egr swirl actuators and cats Get it developed or licenced quick

Comment

Working...