Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnboy142
    • Jan 2008

Modis to PC

I am tring to link my modis to my computer and I seem to be having some trouble. I tried using a CF card in the top slot but my modis won't save anyting to it. I went into set up and selected the top slot but the modis keeps telling me to insert a card or select another location. Has any one had trhis happen to them. I don't think anyone has every used the CF slot so I would assume that it isn't broken. I also can't help but thing there is a better way to do this.
  • MasterWrench
    • Oct 2006

Which version of the MODIS do you have? If you take the left hand grip off is there a mini usb port there? I use a cf card in the top slot and then a card reader and open the files in ShopStream Connect. You can search the forum and get ShopStream Connect free.

Go to "utilities" the bottom icon like a wrench, select "tool setup", select "save data", "% after trigger" I have set to 10, My data set to "Top CF"....

What type and size of CF card are you using? If you go into "Save Data", then select "data management" you will see three little "select" boxes. See that the one that looks like a CF card has a check mark in it. It is the one on the far left of the three.

HTH
    MasterWrench

Comment

• Johnboy142
      • Jan 2008

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure what version of MODIS I have. The software is version 7.4, but I was unaware that there were diffrent versions of hardware. Do you know how many diffrent versions there are? The MODIS I own does not have a USB port under the left grip. It does have a 15 pin connector on the bottom of the area under the grip. There is a top USB port, but I belive that is for inputs, at least I haven't had any luck saving to my USB drive or printing with a USB cable plugged into that port. The CF card is brand new from Compusa. The brand is Scandisk and it is a 2 GB card. I used it to transfer some files between the two PCs here at the shop to test it and it worked fine. I'm farily sure that I have set up the MODIS correctly. In the save box I selected 10% after trigger and Top CF. Then when I try to save the MODIS tells my to insert the card or pick a new location. The card is installed the only way it fits, with the label facing the rear. I have already down loaded shopstream and am anxious to start sharing files with the rest of the on-line community. If you have any ideas or if I am doing something wrong I would love to hear about it, but things are starting to look a little grim. Have you ever had to send a MODIS in for service? How long does it take? What are the fees?

Comment

• MasterWrench
        • Oct 2006

There are two different MODIS. The "old" original and the "newer" Avenger model(made after 2006). It sounds as though you have the old model. I had the old model as well.

It sounds as though you are doing nothing wrong.

Be sure you insert the card before you power up your MODIS and do not remove it until you have it powered down...

I would suggest you call tech support at 800-332-2526 and see what they can tell you.

I had my MODIS sent in a total of three times. The first two were free. The last time required a complete "rebuild". The scope was not functioning properly and they said the only way to fix it was to "update" the whole thing to the Avenger model. The only part of my MODIS that is original now is the back plastic cover. They replaced everything else inside and out. New mother board, new screen, new scope module, new scanner module, and new face plate because the screen on the Avenger is slightly larger. That one cost me $1800. I just got it back about three weeks ago and am still paying for that one...LOL

Because you have the original model the USB port is for use of a keyboard and mouse only and you cannot use a thumb drive there. You should also not have the choice to store to a thumb drive if I remember correct.
        Last edited by MasterWrench; 01-14-2008, 09:14 AM. Reason: info correction
        MasterWrench

Comment

• Johnboy142
          • Jan 2008

Cool.

I'll give tech support a shout and see what they say.

Thanks for the great info.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by MasterWrench
            There are two different MODIS. The "old" original and the "newer" Avenger model(made after 2004). It sounds as though you have the old model. I had the old model as well.
            Hi MW,
            The new Modis was introduced in '06. The very first ones shipped to customers around the third week of January that year. It is my understanding that there were just a couple of units that came back from repair in December '05 with the new hardware inside, but the original style screen. The old style hardware was no longer available, so they got the new guts when they were repaired.
            I just wanted to make sure that was clarified, before a whole bunch of rants started about how they bought old style units in '05 and their Dealer ripped them off by selling them old stuff.
            Later,
            Joe
            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
            Henry Ford

Comment

• MasterWrench
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
              Hi MW,
              The new Modis was introduced in '06. The very first ones shipped to customers around the third week of January that year. It is my understanding that there were just a couple of units that came back from repair in December '05 with the new hardware inside, but the original style screen. The old style hardware was no longer available, so they got the new guts when they were repaired.
              I just wanted to make sure that was clarified, before a whole bunch of rants started about how they bought old style units in '05 and their Dealer ripped them off by selling them old stuff.
              Later,
              Joe
              I edited the date in my post. I wasn't told the old hardware wasn't available. I was just told it needed to be completely rebuilt. Mine does have a new screen and face plate though....Thanks Joe
              MasterWrench

Comment

Working...