Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Green
    • Oct 2009

Saved a file on Versus incorrectly

Is it possible to reverse engineer a file saved incorrectly?

I was using 3 channels of the 4 channel scope graphing live data and wanted to save the graphs, however I have saved them to the desktop as it seems picture files but now can't open them. Is it possible to reverse them to the scope data files so they can be opened?

Thanks
  • Flatrater
    • Dec 2013

Nope, a picture file is a totally different animal.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
      Snap-on D&I
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by David Green
      Is it possible to reverse engineer a file saved incorrectly?

I was using 3 channels of the 4 channel scope graphing live data and wanted to save the graphs, however I have saved them to the desktop as it seems picture files but now can't open them. Is it possible to reverse them to the scope data files so they can be opened?

Thanks
      If you saved screen captures, then no, its not possible to change them.
      What file extension do they have? If they are .VSM, they are scope files.
      How are you trying to open them?
      If you double click on them from the desktop, it won't be possible to open scope files that way. You must navigate to them in the Verus Data Manager, then open them using it.
      You can only open scan data files directly from windows at this time.

Comment

• David Green
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Rich Shepherd
        If you saved screen captures, then no, its not possible to change them.
        What file extension do they have? If they are .VSM, they are scope files.
        How are you trying to open them?
        If you double click on them from the desktop, it won't be possible to open scope files that way. You must navigate to them in the Verus Data Manager, then open them using it.
        You can only open scan data files directly from windows at this time.
        Thanks, the file is a VSM, I can't open it from Data Manager. Is it possible to copy it from VERSUS and install it on the internet Shop Stream Connect software, I have this installed on my PC for my other snap on diagnostic tools.

Thanks

Edited

I've found a way to reverse engineer the file so that it can be placed into the Data Manager scope files, and it works. I'll explain later how I did it when I boot up VERSUS so that I can see what I am doing at the same time as explaining it.

OK this is how I did it. Boot up VERUS so that the diagnostic suite is on the desktop, then tap the tab on the lower tool bar to reduce the diagnostic suite. Open my computer, open VERUS user documents, open shop stream, then scope multimeter data folder. Drag and drop the VSM file into this folder and close it.

Open up the diagnostic suite and open data manager, open scope multimeter data folder, select VSM file and open, your scope file is now open in shop stream and can be run.

Thanks
        Last edited by David Green; 03-19-2017, 06:53 AM. Reason: added information

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
          Snap-on D&I
          • Nov 2006

Thanks, the file is a VSM, I can't open it from Data Manager. Is it possible to copy it from VERSUS and install it on the internet Shop Stream Connect software, I have this installed on my PC for my other snap on diagnostic tools.
          Thanks

Edited

I've found a way to reverse engineer the file so that it can be placed into the Data Manager scope files, and it works. I'll explain later how I did it when I boot up VERSUS so that I can see what I am doing at the same time as explaining it.

OK this is how I did it. Boot up VERUS so that the diagnostic suite is on the desktop, then tap the tab on the lower tool bar to reduce the diagnostic suite. Open my computer, open VERUS user documents, open shop stream, then scope multimeter data folder. Drag and drop the VSM file into this folder and close it.

Open up the diagnostic suite and open data manager, open scope multimeter data folder, select VSM file and open, your scope file is now open in shop stream and can be run.

Thanks
          Yes, It is possible to view .vsm files on a PC with SSC.

On the Verus you can either browse to the Desktop with the Data Manager or you can copy the file from the desktop to the Shopstream folder as you did.
          That is probably the quickest way since that is where your other files will be unless you have selected otherwise.
          When you save files, note where they are being saved to so you can more easily find them. You can change the location where they are being saved to.

Comment

• David Green
            • Oct 2009

thanks for the reply and explanation, its all a learning curve for me

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

thanks for the reply and explanation, its all a learning curve for me
              We all learn something new every day (or should-!! LOL)
              Make sure the files you have saved are also copied over to a USB stick, another hard drive, a different computer....somewhere....and more than one other place...
              The known good and the known bad are all very valuable files for you to use as comparison to other vehicles that may come in, in the future.
              They're also invaluable for study to learn what each manufacturer "tends" to do within systems. Asian do things one way, European another, and North American another. They're all skinning the same cat but they have characteristics that vary.
              Sometimes those "similarities" are the clues to a proper diagnosis.
              V=IR no matter what engineers like to make us believe....LMAO
              Don't rely on technology to "back-up" your data....

Comment

• David Green
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Crusty
                We all learn something new every day (or should-!! LOL)
                Make sure the files you have saved are also copied over to a USB stick, another hard drive, a different computer....somewhere....and more than one other place...
                The known good and the known bad are all very valuable files for you to use as comparison to other vehicles that may come in, in the future.
                They're also invaluable for study to learn what each manufacturer "tends" to do within systems. Asian do things one way, European another, and North American another. They're all skinning the same cat but they have characteristics that vary.
                Sometimes those "similarities" are the clues to a proper diagnosis.
                V=IR no matter what engineers like to make us believe....LMAO
                Don't rely on technology to "back-up" your data....
                Thanks Crusty

Long time no speak LOL

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Thanks Crusty

Long time no speak LOL
                  Hey David.
                  That's just because we're both staying out of trouble-!!!

Comment

• David Green
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Crusty
                    Hey David.
                    That's just because we're both staying out of trouble-!!!

Comment

Working...