Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GP Commercials Belfast
    • Apr 2011

2005 TRANSIT blowing main fuse for earth lead at batteries

I have a little problem and would like to know if anyone has came across the same sort off problem,
    its a 2005 Transit 2.4 tdci mini-bus with two 12v batteries, the main earth to body lead has a manufactured inline fuse which I still don't know which the ampage is for it, Ford don't know and it does not show any details on part, the fuse seems to blow when you go for start intermittently at times, I suspect starter failure though starter does not show signs off failure, Ford has told me excessive clutch wear causing build up off dust in starter which causes starter to stick on and blow fuse might be cause though they advise to replace clutch/ flywheel/ new earth lead and starter though I suspect thats them being cautious and not identifying the actual fault, any information on this would be great, first if anyone knows the body ampage through this fuse, no info available on autodata, and dealership seems useless, thanks!
  • markt
    • Apr 2011

the 2.0 version are common for chaffing the glow plug wiring on the lifting bracket on the head above the power steering tensioner..worth a look on youres for similar problem if it routes in a similar fashion.

Comment

• GP Commercials Belfast
      • Apr 2011

Thanks for advice

Yeah I did check for shorts and chaff's in wiring loom, Took advice from Ford tech in Lindsays Dealership Belfast, They say its common for starter to overheat due to stickin out and running with flywheel, this is caused by alot off excessive clutch dust caused by a poor dual mass flywheel causing clutch disc to wear significantly and make starter stick, and apparently this is a huge related incident, stater develops intermittent short when warm and blows fuse,
      At first I thought this guy was on glue or drugs though looked into it and found flywheel and clutch exactly the way he described it would be and about to break away from rivot's, replaced clutch, flywheel, bearing, starter and earth lead, a cost off £800 parts and labour, been 3 weeks now though not gonna say fixed, time will tell!
      Thanks for info.

Comment

• markt
        • Apr 2011

done loads of starters and dual mass flywheels for them both wearing and causing each other to fail but not had to replace any for the starter fault youre having..but..theres a first for everything.
        hopefully it wont be back but if it does have a look at its current draw on starter motor to see what its pulling.pico has a nice little test for this.

Comment

Working...