X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddie8
    • Mar 2008

Nissan scan tool shootout using Verus

Hi guys

I did a scan tool shootout on a Nissan Quest using 10 different scan tools including the Snap On Verus.The Verus was pretty impressive going up against some of the other big named scan tools. Check it out. Its completely free.

Edwin Hazzard
    Southeast Mobile Tech
  • Sparkey
    • Nov 2008

looks like i will be looking into getting an OTC Pegisys

thanks for sharing this info with us!

Comment

• Earl Davis
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Sparkey
      looks like i will be looking into getting an OTC Pegisys

thanks for sharing this info with us!
      Hi Sparkey,

Why would you look into the Pegisys after watching this video?

Earl

Comment

• DougMontgomery
        • Jul 2007

Maybe because most of the testers rated it the highest..on THAT vehicle tested.

Comment

• diesel71
          • Feb 2008

A better test in my opinion would be to test about 10 differant vehicles, get a wider range of test subjects and leave the factory tools out of it. after all your wanting to see what aftermaket tool would work best overall.

Comment

• Nickb
            DSD
            • Aug 2007

If you look at the Pegysis data stream though, most of them said "NO DATA" or "NOT SUPPORTED" so if they were recording those as the amount of PIDS then it is not an accurate measurement
            DSD

Comment

• eddie8
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by diesel71
              A better test in my opinion would be to test about 10 differant vehicles, get a wider range of test subjects and leave the factory tools out of it. after all your wanting to see what aftermaket tool would work best overall.
              Testing 10 different vehicles in a 45 min span isnt going to happen. This was a scan tool shootout. Testing alot of scan tools and comparing it to the factory tool is what its about. Leaving the factory tool in it is a way to compare the aftermarket tools to the factory tool....which is most cases is king.
              Edwin Hazzard
              Southeast Mobile Tech

Comment

• eddie8
                • Mar 2008

This is what Doug Montgomery said

"Maybe because most of the testers rated it the highest..on THAT vehicle tested. "

He is exactly right
                Edwin Hazzard
                Southeast Mobile Tech

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Nickb
                  If you look at the Pegysis data stream though, most of them said "NO DATA" or "NOT SUPPORTED" so if they were recording those as the amount of PIDS then it is not an accurate measurement
                  The "no data" is temporary after you scroll down. The data comes live in a few seconds on screen.
                  As for the "not supported", at least the pid is there.....SnapOn doesn't even acknowledge there is such a pid.
                  Their recording and playback system is different than SnapOn too.

Comment

• sbreland73
                    • Jan 2009

If you fast forward to about 10:50 in the video, one guy says "Hey Snapon, GET RID OF THOSE KEYS!" After watching I started wondering if S.O. really is the ONLY one still using a key type system still? This would make a good reason for getting the S3 wireless module. As far as programming, I would assume that they are referring to a tool's ability to flash on its own, without additional hardware, such as PTPII.
                    S. Breland

Comment

• Jay G.
                      Administrator
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Crusty
                      The "no data" is temporary after you scroll down. The data comes live in a few seconds on screen.
                      As for the "not supported", at least the pid is there.....SnapOn doesn't even acknowledge there is such a pid.
                      Their recording and playback system is different than SnapOn too.
                      I don't understand your comment on the "PID Not Supported" if the PID isn't supported why would you want to have it show up?

Comment

• USpMD
                        • Oct 2010

They only tested PCM PIDS and controls, no screen shots, this is not a conclusive test, after seeing this I have many more questions than I got answers, they could have done better
                        "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• Crusty
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Jay G.
                          I don't understand your comment on the "PID Not Supported" if the PID isn't supported why would you want to have it show up?
                          Maybe because the scan tool is CAPABLE of displaying the pid and it's not in the data stream supported by that particular vehicle but could be on others?
                          Better a null line for one pid, than a pid that is completely removed.

Comment

• Rich Barton
                            • Sep 2007

Shoot out

Hi Edwin,

I see you and Adam are movie star's

This was a good test but one thing I would like to see on the next scan tool shoot out, if you could take 3 cars at different years example,1997,2003,2009

I am sure your results would be different.
                            Rich Barton
                            C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• Sparkey
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Earl Davis
                              Hi Sparkey,
                              Why would you look into the Pegisys after watching this video?
                              Earl
                              LOL...
                              Didn't you see my BIG SMILE AT THE END? I was just kidding... I wouldn't really consider it because it wasn't, (in my opinion) a FAIR test for diagnostic equipment - you can NOT run a test on only (1) vehicle... I would have to see them all in action on ALL other vehicles, domestic, asian, european before I could make up my mine. How much trouble would we, as mechanics, be in if we only performed (1) test on vehicle's problem...

Comment

Working...