Nissan scan tool shootout using Verus

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddiesverus
    • Dec 2008

The Point of this Shootout is that there is no perfect tool out there and having more than one tool will always be needed. all these tools are good tool in cretin ways and are all unique. I don't agree that one is better than the other but OTC Pegisys has been improved over the Genisys, of course the best tool is the factory tool, but who can afford to have all factory tools? Snap On has recently caught up in offering wireless and finally getting rid of those pesky key with the S3 module and hopefully the S3 will become a J-tool programmer so it will be at the level of the others. I'm surprised the Bosch tools weren't included in this shootout?.
    Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• prmayner
      • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Sparkey
      looks like i will be looking into getting an OTC Pegisys

thanks for sharing this info with us!
      i have both and like both of them. pegisys has reprogramming capabilities and is wireless which is a very nice feature no internet though except for 2 sites. like was said earlier no one tool has it all, i also have a ds708 which i hope is all the scanners i need.
      Last edited by prmayner; 09-07-2013, 09:20 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

• Modis500
        • Sep 2012

A couple names in there I've never heard of...Vedis? is this a Chinese wheel chock? Anyways, to the guy that said he'd jump at the Pegisys, please do your homework before you jump in. We've got one at my shop, the guys use it only if they don't have their own. Does work quick when it feels like it, and the thumb scrolls on the side are handy, but can be clumsy and tempermental quite often. Also, remember you get what you pay for. A nice used Modis will kill this thing for productivity. Yes, you must use keys still but this is a very small shortcoming when you have to reboot Peggy when she's not feeling like working that day. OH, and the wireless capability???? Almost non-existent, and will drop comm whenever you disconnect module from tool to use that feature. Just demo one for a week, try it on many vehicles...oh, and you'll notice many of the brands that OTC doesn't support just come up as Global OBDII...not much info there!!!! Subaru, Euro, Suzuki, Saab, etc, etc,....It does however make for a great wheel chock
        "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
        Zig Ziglar

Comment

• jimstarr120
          • Sep 2013

SnapOn Verus

I have used all of the factory scan tools, as well as most aftermarket ones. If you run into serious electrical/electronic issues and need to trace them down quickly, the Verus is the best I've seen, though other techs might be more familiar with other equipment they are used to.

Comment

• eddiesverus
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by jimstarr120
            I have used all of the factory scan tools, as well as most aftermarket ones. If you run into serious electrical/electronic issues and need to trace them down quickly, the Verus is the best I've seen, though other techs might be more familiar with other equipment they are used to.
            I Agree with you as well. I use the OEM tools for GM, but find myself using more my Verus for everything I do at GM. The Scope and PC usage of the Verus lets me use it as a GDS2 and Tech2win with the MDI. I also have other tools as well. The OTC Genisys, Bosch Mastertech, and a LunchX431Tool along with the OEM tools. When I ran a Shop a couple of years ago I used all of them and I found that one tool couldn't do it all so I needed more. They all have something the other doesn't have. Snap-On Verus has been my 1st choice and Now with the latest Snap On updates, the Verus has been getting better and better, But it still needs and I wished it had the ability to scan all modules for DTC's like the OTC and Bosch scanners do. So its not perfect yet but hopefully Snap On is listening and adds it soon.
            Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by eddiesverus
              I Agree with you as well. I use the OEM tools for GM, but find myself using more my Verus for everything I do at GM. The Scope and PC usage of the Verus lets me use it as a GDS2 and Tech2win with the MDI. I also have other tools as well. The OTC Genisys, Bosch Mastertech, and a LunchX431Tool along with the OEM tools. When I ran a Shop a couple of years ago I used all of them and I found that one tool couldn't do it all so I needed more. They all have something the other doesn't have. Snap-On Verus has been my 1st choice and Now with the latest Snap On updates, the Verus has been getting better and better, But it still needs and I wished it had the ability to scan all modules for DTC's like the OTC and Bosch scanners do. So its not perfect yet but hopefully Snap On is listening and adds it soon.
              Checking all modules for codes which could cause cascading effects in other modules is discussed constantly.
              SnapOn just doesn't seem to listen very well. They thoroughly understand the importance of checking all modules....they just don't seem to WANT to do it.
              --- http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...9623#post39623 --

Comment

• eddie8
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Crusty
                Checking all modules for codes which could cause cascading effects in other modules is discussed constantly.
                SnapOn just doesn't seem to listen very well. They thoroughly understand the importance of checking all modules....they just don't seem to WANT to do it.
                --- http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...9623#post39623 --
                Is there an after market scan tool that does? I don't know of any (except vag com).
                Edwin Hazzard
                Southeast Mobile Tech

Comment

• sbreland73
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by eddie8
                  Is there an after market scan tool that does? I don't know of any (except vag com).
                  The Autel MaxiDAS does most makes, except older GM. It is great for getting the codes out of most all the modules present. Not perfect, but great.
                  S. Breland

Comment

• crackerclicker
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by eddie8
                    Autoenginuity does. I don't have an OTC scantool, but I seem to recall they do as well.

Comment

Working...