Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

What's the Hype around a Gen1 Verus?

Going to be stepping up to a Verus this summer. Hearing alot of you guys saying that the Gen 1 is the best one to get. What's the difference between the Gen 1 and 2? Is it just the wireless adpater standard? Or is there internal upgrades on the Gen 2? Not spending $10K on a Pro, so looking for input. I'm sure there is a bunch of Threads on this exact topic, but short on time right now. Would the best bet be a Gen 1 with the Wireless adapter and then step up the processor in the future? Any help is appreciated guys!
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar
  • sandt38
    • May 2012

I am quite happy with my Wireless V2. Never had an issue.

I may be going with a Pro very soon though. I have not read any real complaints about it.

I may be willing to part with my V2, and you live fairly close. I work in High Point NC.

Comment

• redbaron
      • Jul 2012

Modis500, excellent question!! I just started to hear the same thing, didnt think to ask these guys.

I will say I just stepped over from the modis to gen1 verus, and Im having a good time with it. Granted, the whole wireless thing would be nice, but Ive been hooking cables up to cars since the 80's, no reason to change now!!

Cant wait til these guys chime in!

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Some folks like the Gen 1 better because they are concerned about the reliability of a wireless connection. I haven't seen that to be an issue with mine.
        The Gen 1 is noticeably slower than the Gen 2.
        The Gen 1 won't go dead on a long road test, or after the Verus has been on for 3+ hours, because it is powered by the DLC when scanning.
        You can add a wireless module to the Gen 1, but not a wired module to a Gen 2.

That's all that I can think of.

Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• Steve6911
          • Feb 2007

I have a Gen 1 Verus with the wireless S3 module, NO RAM upgrade. The tool has been pretty much bullet proof. Very good range on the wireless but when using Shopkey, Prodemand or Alldata while working on the vehicle things are very SLOOOOW. My dealer stopped in with a Pro the other day for me to play with, much faster, range on the wireless was great, no slow down when using info systems! If I didn't have my Solus Ultra for when I need to work fast there is no doubt I would be buying a Verus Pro. Also its a great deal they have now with the cart, monitor and printer!!!

Steve

Comment

• TurboJim
            • Jan 2007

I have the V2 and so far so good. Software wise it seems to get better with each update. My battery is starting to poop the bed as I only get a couple hours before I need to charge. Originally I got ~4hrs between charges. CPU/RAM is adequate. I tried a V1 originally and didnt like it because of how easily it got bogged down. Actually, thats what steered me away from the Verus originally. But I read about the hardware changes, and was intrigued to try it again. To this day, for $11 grand, I dont know why SO didnt use a SSD. But anyway, a few original hiccups, and the tool is really good. The V2 can be run wired, it just wont charge from the DLC, but why. Its really cool to have a vehicle running outside your stall, monitoring data from inside a warm bay working on something else!
            Jim Testa
            Senior Technician
            JD Automotive & Truck Inc
            Dover, NJ

Comment

• NizmoPerformance
              • Mar 2013

I just upgraded to 1gb Ram and 500gb 7200rpm HD on my V1

I'm new to the verus but noticed how choppy and laggy it was from the get go. So the first thing to do was make the upgrades! The Verus is much happier with it's new hardware. Considerably faster and smoother. No glitches so far but I'll post if that changes.

Comment

• Mike Quinones
                • Nov 2007

upgrade

Hello Sir.
                This my first post here. But have a question, Did you do the upgrade yourself or did Snap on did that for you?

Comment

Working...