Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • funrazor23
    • Mar 2011

Need help trying to calibrate a universal transducer

Just getting started using transducers and so I didn't spend a lot of money on a snap on one or anything like that but when getting into the 500psi section it said it can't calibrate. Any ideas.
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by funrazor23
    Just getting started using transducers and so I didn't spend a lot of money on a snap on one or anything like that but when getting into the 500psi section it said it can't calibrate. Any ideas.
    It would help us to know who made the transducer and some info on it,
    and also what you are trying to measure.
    More than likely, you will be unable to use Snap On's preset pressure readings, but read the pressure directly on the scope as voltage and do the math yourself.

I am hoping someday that Snap On will see the value in putting it into the mechanic's hands to be able to define their probe - whether it be
    a pressure transducer, amp, temperature probe, or whatever to the tool
    so that confusion such as you are facing will be a thing of the past.
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• phill57
      • Oct 2007

Transducers

Yes Wheel is correct.

You will not be able to use a universal transducer which would be connected to channel 1 and or 2 and use the built-in Snap-On presets which use Snap-On proprietary transducer and cable adapter on the auxiliary input. If you select that function the tool will not calibrate. Most universal transducers will output a milivolt value which corresponds to a specific pressure and these are calibrated at the adapter. Just like an amp clamp.

Snap-On should give us the ability to customize the functions of the meter for other brand transducers and amp clamps. I wish there was a high amp range for instance where i wouldn't have to do the conversion from milivolts to amps, not that it's that difficult. It just would be easier for novice techs to relate.

Comment

• funrazor23
        • Mar 2011

Thanks gentlemen. I'm actually using a AC high side pressure sensor off of a 01 Seville. It's a 500psi transducer. Went to a training class and got the idea from there. Since snappy wants over 350 bucks for there setup. Anyway I got a waveform out of it but it seemed like no matter what I did if I was in AC coupled or not I couldn't get my whole wave form on the screen. Either I can see the peak pressure and the exhaust and intake lines are not defined or I can zoom in catch the exhaust valve open but can't see my peak pressure. I'm sure it probably has to do with the way I'm doing it and or sensor but I haven't messed around with it that much. Push come to shove I will end up just getting snappys ****.

Comment

• Modis500
          • Sep 2012

Does anyone know who makes Snap On's pressure transducers? If we can find out, then those may be able to be calibrated through our tools. I've found CPC and CDLM on ebay...gonna try one of these bad boys before spending $300 on Snappy's piece. They're around $35 to 65 a piece. Much less!
          "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
          Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Wheel
            • Jul 2007

I wish I had a nickel for every post on this website and IATN which basically asks in one form or another:
            "How do I get my ________ probe to work with my Snap On scope?
            This question would be unnecessary if Snap On gave their scope customer the ability to set up whatever probe they had by telling the scope how to read it once and for all ( example if you had a Fluke PV 350, you would tell it 1 mv = 1psi or 1 mv = 1 in hg) you would save the name of the probe and its calibration, and when needed, you would select it from a list and you would get your readings in your choice of temperature, amps, pressure, vacuum, whatever instead of in volts.

This may seem like a petty request of the powers that be at Snap On, but the simple fact is people want and need this feature, it's just that some don't know what to ask for. We buy from Snap On, often bypassing cheaper alternatives in search of quality and convenience - it makes no sense to spend the extra money if we don't find what we are looking for. Many of us share our scope findings one way or another with our customers, and having the readouts in the proper units would save us time having to explain why volts = ??

The Interro PDA has had the ability for the user to define and use
            custom / generic probes and it has been out of production how long now? This is one of the most needed improvements to one of the best line of scopes out there. Rest assured other scope makers eager to
            move up the ranks won't ignore features like this to move in on Snap On's scope market therefore Snap On shouldn't ignore this either.

If the folks at Snap On don't see the need for this feature, I challenge them to count the posts here and on IATN asking the "How do I get probe x to work with my Snap On scope" type question.
            You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

Working...