X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

MTG2500

I should really be getting broke Max Cyst repaired and updated, or thinking about a newer scan tool instead of EEC-in by on old beaters with my old MT 2500 that been giving me some trouble communicating lately.I've missed out some key and remote programming and other repairs of newer vehicles and now forced to use a Generic OBDII code and data scanner on newer vehicles since November.
    Well today I bought an old Snap On MTG2500 with Domestic and Asian black cartridges up through 2003 off Craigslist locally for $250. Graphing on it is a real joke on it but my old eyes sure appreciates the illuminated text versus the older set up especially when it is dark outside.Came with a nice case , blue keys and Domestic OBD1 connectors, and battery charger The NI-CAD battery pack is no good , but I can live without that. Nice the software cartridges from the older one work in it fine. It's a shame you can't do it with any of the newer platforms
    Attached Files
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Hey Wit
    Just in case the PC you posted this on goes down do you want a Windows 3.1 machine I just found buried in my attic? Might even have a old DOS Scan-Grrafix program on it

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Hey Wit
      Just in case the PC you posted this on goes down do you want a Windows 3.1 machine I just found buried in my attic? Might even have a old DOS Scan-Grrafix program on it
      Yesterday 10:26 PM
      No thanks Steve. It looks like this MTG2500 is just a prettier dog with Chrysler, Jeep. Maybe it's due to being colder than a Witch's Tit here and the board resistances dropped out of some elusive necessary range or something. Maybe Venus has to be aligned with Mars some where warmer like Key West. No communication with Engine Controller at all except going through Global OBD II.
      Strange that 2 different MT2500s with 3 different Chrysler Cartridges, OBD2 connectors and K13 and K13A keys and still forced to use Global OBD2.
      On the 03 Chrysler I had communication with transmission,and ABS though.

Last edited by Witsend; 01-22-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Very Cold temps = No Chrysler Jeep communication

Had a warm thaw up today and now both my old MT 2500 and newer MTG 2500 communicated just fine with the Jeep that both refused to communicate with yesterday except in Generic OBDII mode. Just a heads up if any of you pulling one out of your car or your garage in below freezing temperatures. Thought the old one cr@pped out and the newer one I got was also bad, but now working in above freezing conditions
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Witsend; 01-22-2019, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Witsend
          I should really be getting broke Max Cyst repaired and updated, or thinking about a newer scan tool instead of EEC-in by on old beaters with my old MT 2500 that been giving me some trouble communicating lately.I've missed out some key and remote programming and other repairs of newer vehicles and now forced to use a Generic OBDII code and data scanner on newer vehicles since November.
          Well today I bought an old Snap On MTG2500 with Domestic and Asian black cartridges up through 2003 off Craigslist locally for $250. Graphing on it is a real joke on it but my old eyes sure appreciates the illuminated text versus the older set up especially when it is dark outside.Came with a nice case , blue keys and Domestic OBD1 connectors, and battery charger The NI-CAD battery pack is no good , but I can live without that. Nice the software cartridges from the older one work in it fine. It's a shame you can't do it with any of the newer platforms

Hi Witsend, if you wish a rechargeable battery to install in your MTG2500, there are PP3 or 6F22 9v 900 ma/hr batteries on ( where else ) eBay.com and using a suitable connector soldered to the existing wires, can be swapped out for the spare you got too, and recharged or charged while in situ
          Just a thought, I did mine too

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Hi Witsend, if you wish a rechargeable battery to install in your MTG2500, there are PP3 or 6F22 9v 900 ma/hr batteries on ( where else ) eBay.com and using a suitable connector soldered to the existing wires, can be swapped out for the spare you got too, and recharged or charged while in situ
            Just a thought, I did mine too
            The charger adapter out put that came in the MTG2500 case # is MT2500-600-2A says output is 100MA at 24V, so I have no idea what the battery pack voltage is but likely more than just 9V if the charger output is at 24 v. It looked like it was 6 or 7 AA size batteries wrapped in white plastic but suspect they might be 3.7 V cells wrapped in white plastic.
            Last edited by Witsend; 01-24-2019, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• GypsyR
              • Jul 2017

I was talking to a co-worker the other day how he was looking at CKP signals on his wife's car. Using his old 2500 he has at home. Said something he doesn't use it but twice a year maybe anymore but it's so outdated who would he sell it to or who would use it. It popped into my head "Well, there IS this one guy..."

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Witsend
                The charger adapter out put that came in the MTG2500 case # is MT2500-600-2A says output is 100MA at 24V, so I have no idea what the battery pack voltage is but likely more than just 9V if the charger output is at 24 v. It looked like it was 6 or 7 AA size batteries wrapped in white plastic but suspect they might be 3.7 V cells wrapped in white plastic.
                Hi Witsend, the battery pack is actually AAA battery cells, 6 of these to make 7.2 volts at uncharged level, which makes 8.28 volts fully charged which by my reckoning is very close to a charged PP3 or 6F22 battery of 8.4 volts.

Hope this helps somewhat more ?

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Hi Witsend, the battery pack is actually AAA battery cells, 6 of these to make 7.2 volts at uncharged level, which makes 8.28 volts fully charged which by my reckoning is very close to a charged PP3 or 6F22 battery of 8.4 volts.

Hope this helps somewhat more ?
                  The battery charger output is supposed to be .1A at 24V. I measured no load voltage at the charger end of ferule and volt meter showed 31.43V. There are 7 AAA sized cells that compose the battery pack. I would like to believe each cell to be 1.5 volts , but why would it need 24 V output to charge 10.5 V worth of battery pack? I know that 3.7 volt lithion battery can be charged with 12v, but maybe Snappy wanted to sell a boat load of replacement battery packs and supplied a Chinese Chargers that would cook them faster.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• GypsyR
                    • Jul 2017

I've run across rechargeable 3.7 volt batteries that LOOKED like AAA's and were the same size. Six of those would be a better mathematical match to a 24 volt charger. I wouldn't bet on anything until the old pack was positively identified as to what is actually in it.

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

I've run across rechargeable 3.7 volt batteries that LOOKED like AAA's and were the same size. Six of those would be a better mathematical match to a 24 volt charger. I wouldn't bet on anything until the old pack was positively identified as to what is actually in it.
                      Turns out the charging voltage is dropped to 12.39 by the time it reaches the connector for the battery pack . No Idea why.
                      I measured the voltage of the 7 cell rechargable battery pack and it was over 9V. I couldn't figure out why holding the button down it didn't want to power up, even with the Charger plugged into the scanner.
                      Took it apart and tested the switch ok , but the circuit on the board to the switch for ground is NFG, and I don't want to get too involved with something I can live without.

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

No communication with Chrysler products MT/ MTG2500

My MT2500 and MTG2500 scanners will not communicate with Chrysler products any longer except in Generic OBD2 mode. 2 different cables, 2 different OBD2 adapters,2 different black programmable cartridges, different Blue K13and K13A keys, swapped things back and forth. Cold or warm ambient temperatures.WTF! Is this the early signs of demise or just possibly the low voltage condition of internal battery, or lack there of an internal battery?Could internal battery make a difference whether or not they will communicate with Chrysler? I finally bought an update sent POS Chinaman Tablet out for repairs and now dealing with this aggravating issue of my Sh@ttin Bricks.

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

Changed out the old 9V Alcho-Salsa battery of my old MT2500 and it made no difference communicating with the 03 Town and Country . I wonder if I should plug in the Chinaman's Tool Chrysler 16 adapter and see if things go Pop Pop Fizz Fizz (oh what a turd it is)

Comment

Working...