Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Verus User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 AM

Scott_65 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default 6.7 Powerstroke - Flashing IQA?

Anybody replaced injectors on a 2011+ Powerstroke 6.7? You have to flash the new Injector Quantity. I purchased and loaded the latest version of Ford's FMP programming subscription like I've done hundreds of times for PCM reflashes. But no IQA available. Any suggestions? Snappy doesn't offer it either on the Verus. I really don't want to lose $100+ to the dealership for a 2 minute process...
Old 12-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Banned

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Sounds like Ford wants to keep a proprietary capability in house to milk a few more billion bucks out of people at the dealership level and sell genuine Ford Fuel injectors, until the warranty and development costs are long paid for that's another possible reason why they might be suing Autel, because a DS 708 or Maxi Sys probably can likely do it, and The China man probably say Subscribe to my Liddo Middo Finga.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:42 PM

longhungsilver Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

I believe its not a flashing procedure and it's more of a setup procedure. So you'll need a capable scan tool not a subscription to fmp. Correct me if I'm wrong someone.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Entering injector calibrations cannot currently be accomplished with a Snap-on scanner for the Ford 6.4L or 6.7L engines.
I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but that's the deal.
Sorry.
Joe
Old 12-08-2014, 03:14 PM

diesel71 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

the 6.4 ford diesels do not require injector quantity adjustment.
the 6.7 ford diesels do require injector quantity changes with injector replacement. to change iqa when replacing an injector it is a service function or functional test. the snapon scanners do not do this and to the best of my knowledge nether does the autel or any scanner that I have played with.
the fmp program with a pass threw device is a flash file only deal, you cannot perform service function with it. you will need to have a Ids to program the iqa numbers after an injector replacmet.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Because they are Piezo injectors I was certain that they needed IQA programmed. I even went to check the service procedures...not that I could catch you being wrong on a diesel... but I was sure of it.

Anyway....you are correct. The 6.4 does not require programming injector quantities.

Joe
Old 12-09-2014, 10:34 AM

Scott_65 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Thanks for the responses. You all are correct, it has to be programmed, and it apparently has to be ford or someone with the full IDS software. I finally got the motorcraft support line to admit that FMP wasn't capable. So its at another shop that has the IDS.

I hope it was just the one injector. It had fuel knock and an intermittent code for #8 contribution. Since we don't have the capability to even kill cylinders, it was nothing more than a guess that the fuel knock and #8 contribution code were one in the same. Upon installing the new injector with no IQA programming, the noise was identical. Hopefully flashing this will fix it
Old 12-09-2014, 11:50 AM

did you do a relative compression test?. anytime i get cylinder balance faults or contribution codes I perform a relative compression test, that way you know you have a good mechanical engine and replacing the injector will fix it.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Banned

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Default Re relative compression test

Quote:
did you do a relative compression test?. anytime i get cylinder balance faults or contribution codes I perform a relative compression test, that way you know you have a good mechanical engine and replacing the injector will fix it.

i can do power balance testing with a DS 708 on some Ford gasoline engines, but didn't see an option for any relative compression testing . I imagine that test might have to fall under oscilloscope using a high amp probe on the battery positive cable with an oscilloscope and seeing trigger off #1 fuel injector with an inductive pick up and having to do the math.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witsend View Post
i can do power balance testing with a DS 708 on some Ford gasoline engines, but didn't see an option for any relative compression testing . I imagine that test might have to fall under oscilloscope using a high amp probe on the battery positive cable with an oscilloscope and seeing trigger off #1 fuel injector with an inductive pick up and having to do the math.
you can do relative compression test on any engine using a lab scope and low or high amp probe. I don't do any math no need for it unless I want to know how many amps the starter is drawing. I am looking at a wave fourm to see if all the cylinders are even. a low compression cylinder/bent push rod/collapsed lifter/hole burnt in the piston/bad valve or anything mechanical that will cause a lose of pressure will be seen. then you know if there are mechanical issues and simply replacing the injector wont work. here is a 2005 d-max 6.6 that had #8 injector changed because they had a code for that cylinder and a high balance rate on that hole. why didn't the injector fix it?, because it had very low compression from a washed out cylinder. they did not do a relative or physical compression test(probably lazy or in a hurry).
20141209-2026-1.jpg