X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • astgarage
    • Jan 2008

help reprogramimg used module

Hi, All

Does anyone know on an 05 GMC 1500, can a used module be reprogrammed for the vehicle? and if so, anything I should know going forward?

Thanks,

Pete
  • ToltecasChavez
    • Apr 2011

Is the used PCM have the same numbers as the car your trying to change it with? If yes, then all you have to do is program the anti-theft. Takes 15 minutes. after the car starts, u can program the PCM. I like to start with programming the PCM so I can put the VIN correctly since the used PCM has the VIN of the donor car. Once I've done that, I can got to anti-theft and program that. Like before, should take 15 minutes. Make sure ur anti-virus is turned off, battery at 14v charging and any program running turned off. That should be good to go after.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
      • Apr 2011

I just noticed u said module. Now, which module is it? I thought it was the PCM. But u can install any used module and just reprogram it with the passthru or any other J2534 tool along with the programming software from GM. Some used modules don't need programming if the donor car is the same module and the numbers match. Plug and Play.

Comment

• astgarage
        • Jan 2008

Thanks,

Its is the PCM, I have the Pass Thru pro II.. and have never done any programming before. I can program the anti theft with the pass thru?

Comment

• maven
          • Mar 2014

Yes you can reprogram a used module. Just follow the same instructions as if it were a new module. Select "Replace & Program" when doing this even though youre using a currently programmed module

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
            • Apr 2011

You program or reprogram anything u want with the passthru and a subscription from GM. U have to make an account, if u don't already have one, then purchase the short term option and you're good to go. If this is ur first time doing it, the program will ask you for a few things to install so it can work properly, just say yes. A window will open that shows drivers for the Tech 2 and other tools, just skip that. You also have to install the drivers of the passthru if u haven't already so ur PC can recognize the Passthru when u connect it.

Comment

• badcoupe
              • Jan 2011

you'll be fine once you change vin to put the proper calibration in. Anti theft learn is easy as well. just make sure to do mthe pcm programming first anti theft second

Comment

• Ruston11
                • Feb 2015

GM is a good way to get started. They are the easiest. Good luck

Comment

• phill57
                  • Oct 2007

Used GM modules?

I've never had any luck programming a used BCM. I thought they were a one time only thing and once the VIN is written it can't be changed. Same with an instrument cluster as far as I know. Am I wrong?

Comment

• badcoupe
                    • Jan 2011

bcm is one shot only, once the options and miles are set its that way permanently

Comment

• maven
                      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by badcoupe
                      bcm is one shot only, once the options and miles are set its that way permanently
                      Odometer, yes... one time deal as far as a tech is concerned. The vast majority of GM BCMs on the road can have the options changed though. For instance thats how one would add cruise to a vehicle not so equipped or turn of electronic suspension in certain vehicle if the shocks were replaced.

Comment

• astgarage
                        • Jan 2008

OK, so while trying to reprogram this PCM I'm getting a code E4399 (server error; reading ECU data device or controller failed) from the SPS.

My Pass Thru Pro II is communicating. ACDelco says I must be having a problem on the truck side of communication. I did find 3 fuses missing or burned out. On star was on one of the fuses. Replaced and still same message. No aftermarket radio install. There is a CB, but I don't think that's a problem. Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Pete

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                          • Apr 2011

Is everything up to date? Make sure you turn off ur anti-virus software, PtP is up to date firmware wise through the toolbox program. Also, make sure there's nothing on inside the car, battery charging at 14v and all doors closed. Just to be sure. After that, restart PC. If not, try another laptop. Just a few tips.

Comment

• astgarage
                            • Jan 2008

Yes everything was up to date. Contacted ACDelco again, got someone that was very helpful. We had to go through the Body Control module to reprogram the PCM. See all other module would communicate. The PCM would give information, but wouldn't take it through normal channels. Makes me want to learn more about the BUS network.

Comment

• maven
                              • Mar 2014

Originally posted by astgarage
                              Yes everything was up to date. Contacted ACDelco again, got someone that was very helpful. We had to go through the Body Control module to reprogram the PCM. See all other module would communicate. The PCM would give information, but wouldn't take it through normal channels. Makes me want to learn more about the BUS network.
                              Thats crazy, in 15 years in GM dealership Ive never had to do that. Sounds like you definitely got an educated person on the other end of line, but Id also be inclined to believe something was still wrong with vehicle/module due to the fact that it couldnt be programmed normally.

Comment

Working...