Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildrides
    • Apr 2011

snap off should of NEVER locked our bios

AS (promised) to snap off if they did not give up the bios password that they DO NOT OWN!!! IT was going to get Jacked ...
    I now Have the password of course not by snap. Do you think I should share it??
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

Sure, share it. It is no big secret how to obtain it.
    S. Breland

Comment

• Wheel
      • Jul 2007

I've had access to mine for at least a year or two. Another thread here reveals how to access it.

I agree that it is unethical to lock one out of one's own property, no matter the reason.

At least from what I've been told by reliable sources that the Verus Pro is not done this way.

All that said, one needs to really be sure what he's doing if he accesses the
      bios or one may own an expensive red wheel chock.
      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Skip
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2008

Pardon my ignorance, but will this get you?

Comment

• ericsautomotive
          • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Wheel
          I've had access to mine for at least a year or two. Another thread here reveals how to access it.

I agree that it is unethical to lock one out of one's own property, no matter the reason.

At least from what I've been told by reliable sources that the Verus Pro is not done this way.

My verus pro isn't..... +2 on a reliable source..... Just sayin....
          Don't guess! Test !!

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Strapon Snapoff? The Clapper

If One's already got an expensive red Strapon doorstop you could try these methods.

An easy-to-follow guide on resetting a BIOS password if you've forgotten itThis wikiHow teaches you how to reset your Windows computer's BIOS password. You can do this by trying a master BIOS reset password, or you can attempt to remove...

Comment

• Steve6911
              • Feb 2007

Hmmmm..... I can see tech support and repair will be VERY busy in the near future!

Comment

• Steve6911
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Wheel
                Yep, it's not a big deal to find out how to get it.

Not sure I agree with you guys on this Tim. If just say you by a new Hunter Wheel Alignment machine, would Hunter just give you the passwords to access their OS so you could "Tweak" it? When you by a new vehicle does the manufacturer give you the PIN numbers for Keys and Immo systems? I doubt it, so why would S.O.?

Now this I agree with you on! I hope the help desk and repair will be ready for all the work they will get out of this! Some people really know their stuff here, others might not know what they are doing and really make a mess of things! And of course the problem will not be covered under the warranty if the tool still has one.

Steve
                Last edited by Steve6911; 06-19-2015, 06:02 AM.

Comment

• sbreland73
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Steve6911
                  Now this I agree with you on! I hope the help desk and repair will be ready for all the work they will get out of this! Some people really know their stuff here, others might not know what they are doing and really make a mess of things! And of course the problem will not be covered under the warranty if the tool still has one.

Steve
                  I mirror that sentiment. I believe the password was there for the users own protection. Most folks know just enough to get them into trouble, then have a tear-down when they have to shell out bucks for their mistakes.I can say having owned a 323 Verus, the BIOS is not worth messing with, due to limited user options to change.
                  S. Breland

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

Wild Rides I figure you got yourself a Red Door stop already that you picked up used on the cheap , with issues, don't know history of owner ship and that it might be on Snappy's Secret Hot List if you send out for repair estimate , so you are just frustrated triing to get her going again on the cheap.Post a picture of the screen where it's hung up and any progress. If you get it to at least boot up in Windows Vista "You would make a Beleiber out of me.

Comment

• Wheel
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911

Originally Posted by Wheel View Post

Yep, it's not a big deal to find out how to get it.

My point exactly. I wanted to point out also to the original poster he would be duplicating info already somewhere in another post.

Not sure I agree with you guys on this Tim. If just say you by a new Hunter Wheel Alignment machine, would Hunter just give you the passwords to access their OS so you could "Tweak" it? When you by a new vehicle does the manufacturer give you the PIN numbers for Keys and Immo systems? I doubt it, so why would S.O.?

I understand. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
                      I have extremely strong and volatile views when it comes to property rights. Either I own something completely or not at all. I may not own the patents on an object I bought, or the right to reproduce and sell a copy of it, ( and I'm fine with that ) but I do own that one object I bought, which gives me the right to complete access to it, to alter and improve it for my use, to smash it to pieces if that's what I want, and if I screw it up to pay anyone interested in the job at their price and at my expense to fix it, or to trash or sell it.

The automakers in your example forget who owns the car once they sell it. Please don't get me started on vehicles with these anti theft systems. I refuse to own one.
                      I applaud Snap On for dropping the practice of passwording the bios on the Verus Pro.

All that said, one needs to really be sure what he's doing if he accesses the bios or one may own an expensive red wheel chock.

I made that statement for several reasons. One to show that although how it was handled was wrong, there exists at least one possible good motive for doing it. Also, to give warning that things can go wrong and imply one shouldn't cry foul if he messes something up - and to give someone like you an opening to elaborate on and emphasize this.

Steve
                      There is value to accessing this bios - provided - it meets a need and the owner's skills are up to taking full advantage of it.
                      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• wildrides
                        • Apr 2011

No Smoke Here No Reason To Bs

look I am NOT trying to start any **** with ANY members. I am very advanced at what I do. I had a 323 and now a 325 and a verdict. I had the 323 apart over 10 times. I have NEVER bricked any unit ( they do that on there own ) lol
                        I have even got my 323 to work on windows 7!!! but it was so slow you could barley use it. I am not here to brag. I have some capabilities you would be begging for I never had any luck with removing cmos battery or anything like it. I never saw anywhere that shows the bios password? are you saying everyone has a different password? The password I have has got me into 4 different units so my guess is its the MASTER password. I wish I understood WHY snap on locked the bios? they could not get me a answer to that. I fully understand why someone who has no idea what they are doing should even look at it!! BUT the bios is not locked on my verdict and from what I hear not locked on the pro. so thats kinda a wash. THE REASON MY POST SAID SHOULD I SHARE IT is because I was looking for members feedback first? There are many good reasons to access the bios. (example) A 325 that was in my area was sent into snap on for overheating. repair was to replace cooling fan all tho it was working. this was a while ago so I dont remember the exact price but I believe he was charged $1200 shortly later it was overheating again snap said send it in we will check it out. he did not want to be without it again and was afraid to be charged again. my snap on dealer knows what I have done with mine and what I have running on it. so he asked my to take a look. long story short I changed fan settings under ( pc health settings ) fans run a little more but problem solved. ALSO WITHOUT BIOS SETTINGS after SSD upgrade it will be running in IDE mode AHCI MODE IS THE WAY TO GO. (this is what got me into this) PLEASE NOTE TO RUN AHCI THERE IS OTHER THINGS YOU HAVE TO DO OR YOU WILL GET BSOD... ALSO WITH RAM UPGRADE you can dial in the ram specified timings for faster speed. Those are just a FEW reasons a QUALIFIED person needs to get into the bios. these tools are not very powerful. so we need to get every ounce we can. My dream would be for snap on to allow us to use our own devices (Legally) ;0 or build a tool that is comparable to modern specs. BUT THATS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

look I am NOT trying to start any **** with ANY members. I am very advanced at what I do. I had a 323 and now a 325 and a verdict. I had the 323 apart over 10 times. I have NEVER bricked any unit ( they do that on there own ) lol
                          I have even got my 323 to work on windows 7!!! but it was so slow you could barley use it. I am not here to brag. I have some capabilities you would be begging for I never had any luck with removing cmos battery or anything like it. I never saw anywhere that shows the bios password? are you saying everyone has a different password? The password I have has got me into 4 different units so my guess is its the MASTER password. I wish I understood WHY snap on locked the bios? they could not get me a answer to that. I fully understand why someone who has no idea what they are doing should even look at it!! BUT the bios is not locked on my verdict and from what I hear not locked on the pro. so thats kinda a wash. THE REASON MY POST SAID SHOULD I SHARE IT is because I was looking for members feedback first? There are many good reasons to access the bios. (example) A 325 that was in my area was sent into snap on for overheating. repair was to replace cooling fan all tho it was working. this was a while ago so I dont remember the exact price but I believe he was charged $1200 shortly later it was overheating again snap said send it in we will check it out. he did not want to be without it again and was afraid to be charged again. my snap on dealer knows what I have done with mine and what I have running on it. so he asked my to take a look. long story short I changed fan settings under ( pc health settings ) fans run a little more but problem solved. ALSO WITHOUT BIOS SETTINGS after SSD upgrade it will be running in IDE mode AHCI MODE IS THE WAY TO GO. (this is what got me into this) PLEASE NOTE TO RUN AHCI THERE IS OTHER THINGS YOU HAVE TO DO OR YOU WILL GET BSOD... ALSO WITH RAM UPGRADE you can dial in the ram specified timings for faster speed. Those are just a FEW reasons a QUALIFIED person needs to get into the bios. these tools are not very powerful. so we need to get every ounce we can. My dream would be for snap on to allow us to use our own devices (Legally) ;0 or build a tool that is comparable to modern specs. BUT THATS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
                          06-19-2015 07:20 PM

You seem to have A Rebel's Spirit. It be Hilarious if you somehow got it to run in a Ubuntu OS off an external hardrive from a hacked Maxi Pad Pro with their rebadged Hantek usb scope. That would be cool, LOL

Comment

• Wheel
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by wildrides
                            I have even got my 323 to work on windows 7!!! but it was so slow you could barley use it. I am not here to brag. I have some capabilities you would be begging for I never had any luck with removing cmos battery or anything like it. I never saw anywhere that shows the bios password? are you saying everyone has a different password? The password I have has got me into 4 different units so my guess is its the MASTER password. I wish I understood WHY snap on locked the bios? they could not get me a answer to that.

Two possible reasons: 1. they wanted to keep PC challenged individuals out of more trouble 2. somebody just wanted to be a real butt.
                            Whichever reason it is about like selling someone a house and locking them out of their utility room.

I fully understand why someone who has no idea what they are doing should even look at it!! BUT the bios is not locked on my verdict and from what I hear not locked on the pro. so thats kinda a wash. THE REASON MY POST SAID SHOULD I SHARE IT is because I was looking for members feedback first?

There was a recent post that contained the means to access the bios - I'd have to look it up because it wasn't the main subject of the thread - but
                            posting the info here also would make sense because it is the thread's main subject.

There are many good reasons to access the bios. (example) A 325 that was in my area was sent into snap on for overheating. repair was to replace cooling fan all tho it was working. this was a while ago so I dont remember the exact price but I believe he was charged $1200 shortly later it was overheating again snap said send it in we will check it out. he did not want to be without it again and was afraid to be charged again. my snap on dealer knows what I have done with mine and what I have running on it. so he asked my to take a look. long story short I changed fan settings under ( pc health settings ) fans run a little more but problem solved. ALSO WITHOUT BIOS SETTINGS after SSD upgrade it will be running in IDE mode AHCI MODE IS THE WAY TO GO. (this is what got me into this) PLEASE NOTE TO RUN AHCI THERE IS OTHER THINGS YOU HAVE TO DO OR YOU WILL GET BSOD... ALSO WITH RAM UPGRADE you can dial in the ram specified timings for faster speed. Those are just a FEW reasons a QUALIFIED person needs to get into the bios. these tools are not very powerful. so we need to get every ounce we can. My dream would be for snap on to allow us to use our own devices (Legally) ;0 or build a tool that is comparable to modern specs. BUT THATS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
                            Like I said in another post - I'm glad they abandoned the practice of passwording the bios.

Comment

• wildrides
                              • Apr 2011

yup yup

I will be posting it

just waiting for a few more views

1st letter is w

Comment

Working...