Touch screen press not performing action.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maven
    • Mar 2014

Touch screen press not performing action.

Modis Ultra 14.4
    Been having a lot of issues with the touch screen not fully "clicking" a button I touch. It will highlight the button, but not perform the action. Need to push the hard key to perform function.

Various Ford and GM vehicles of various years.
  • BMW JEDI
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by maven
    Modis Ultra 14.4
    Been having a lot of issues with the touch screen not fully "clicking" a button I touch. It will highlight the button, but not perform the action. Need to push the hard key to perform function.

I have been having similar issues with my SOLUS ULTRA. Quite often, it is not immediately apparent the button press resulted in only a 'highlight' until some time later when I realize nothing is happening and I have to press it again.

Comment

• ericsautomotive
      • Mar 2014

Modis Ultra 14.4

Hey Maven,
      I too was having similar issues with my Verus Pro. Went and got a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse for less then $40. No more touch screen issues.
      Don't guess! Test !!

Comment

• BMW JEDI
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ericsautomotive
        Hey Maven,
        I too was having similar issues with my Verus Pro. Went and got a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse for less then $40. No more touch screen issues.
        Very good.

But that is of little help for Solus Ultra, Vantage Ultra and Modis Ultra users.

And, if I wanted to use a desktop keyboard and mouse, I would just get a desktop pc scantool instead of a neat, portable handheld unit

Comment

• ericsautomotive
          • Mar 2014

Originally posted by BMW JEDI
          Very good.

But that is of little help for Solus Ultra, Vantage Ultra and Modis Ultra users.

And, if I wanted to use a desktop keyboard and mouse, I would just get a desktop pc scantool instead of a neat, portable handheld unit
          Good point.... Maybe Snap-On will come up with a fix for you ??
          Don't guess! Test !!

Comment

• BMW JEDI
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ericsautomotive
            Good point.... Maybe Snap-On will come up with a fix for you ??
            I dunno. I reported similar behavior in the past, but nothing ever came of it. Now others are reporting similar issues, perhaps they will look at the issue again (or for the first time, who knows?).

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Apparently everyone was hot to trot for "touch screens" so SnapOn delivered.

I voiced the concerns about durability and functionality several times. I would much rather have RELIABILITY in my equipment than the newest "fad" that is all the rage. Touch screens, wifi, blue-tooth, etc. While they may make it "easier" in some ways, they do absolutely nothing for fundamental functionality.
              Now that it's here, SnapOn needs to make sure it performs as advertised.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
                Snap-on D&I
                • Nov 2006

Modis Ultra 14.4

Just to eliminate the simple things, run the Touch Cal in Tools if you haven't already.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Just to eliminate the simple things, run the Touch Cal in Tools if you haven't already.
                  Note Clean boogers off fingers first, clean screen, dissipate static electricity (static guard spray or wrist grounding strap. Got Big fingers and nostrils ? You might consider doing the procedure with a stylus and the screen at cool ambient temperature.

Comment

• Steve6911
                    • Feb 2007

You scare me James!

Comment

• maven
                      • Mar 2014

I found that removing the screen protector and installing a new one solved my issue. Its nice and fast and accurate again.

To be clear, there was zero visible debris under the protector, the protector itself was in nearly new condition and was a SnapOn item.

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Carbon Tracked Screen Saver from Static Electricity?

I figure that protective film from repeated static electrical discharge could have developed an established pathway .Could be you need to start wearing a foil hat too.
                        Last edited by Witsend; 06-17-2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• maven
                          • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
                          I figure that protective film from repeated static electrical discharge could have developed an established pathway .Could be you need to start wearing a foil hat too.
                          Im pretty sure these use a resistive touch screen, and not a capacitive one, so even the Saturnonian-micro-elemental carbon tracking shouldnt affect the operation of the screen

Comment

Working...