X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aussie_mech
    • Apr 2015

Verus 5 wire Touch screen model help

Hi guys,
    So today i upgraded my Verus with a new SSD and RAM. Got it back up and running but during the process I managed to snap the tail off the touch screen. So the unit works I just have no touchscreen (am using a mouse).

image hosting 5mb

I would like to replace the touchscreen, doesn't seem too hard, before I call snap on support tomorrow to see if they can give me any info/price, I was wondering if anyone had any info so I could try and buy one online. Seems like touchscreens are fairly generic and just stick onto the front of the LCD.

If I'm correct this is a 10.4", 5 wire, resistive touch screen.

These ones look good quality, however ours looks like the tail is higher up whereas most others I see come out around the middle of the screen, so the tail might not reach/ could break if not in the correct position.

free picture upload

I took this photo while it was apart, even then the writing was quite blurry to try and read the brand, I couldn't make it out, does it look like any brand anyone recognizes. (edit) just matched the brand logo up - Dawar Touch

Any info guys before I bow to the mercy of snap on support?
    Last edited by aussie_mech; 06-28-2015, 01:18 AM.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Dawar touch distributor

Try Edge Electronics, Inc.
    75 Orville Dr., Unit 2
    Bohemia, NY 11716
    Phone: 800.647.EDGE (3343)
    Fax: 631.471.3405
    Email: edge@edgeelectronics.com

Comment

• aussie_mech
      • Apr 2015

Thanks witsend.

Snap on were as helpful as I expected - first wouldn't budge on it must be sent in to be diagnosed, I offered to send a picture of the broken cable and said hypothetically, not holding you to a quote, if you found this what would you quote, eventually he said around $1000 to $1500 but pretty sure he just made a number to get rid of me. To which I replied so that would be a full lcd replacement I assume not just touch and he said yes all as 1. So I feel like if I send it in they will more than likely unnecessarily be replacing a whole screen assembly.

Mouse use is going ok for now. Plan for now is to pull it down again with my electrical engineer freind having a go at splicing the broken ribbon, can't make it any worse than it is. If unsuccessful, while in there I'll match up exactly what dawar model can be used (good schematics on their parent site). As I feel uneasy about a different brand being compatible with the chipset on our board, which I will check and confirm is a dawar chip. Dawar 10.4" touch panels are more around the $100 mark.

No one to blame but myself...be careful of that flimsy 5 wire ribbon if going in guys. Let you know how it pans out.

Comment

Working...